U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,996,950 times
Reputation: 859

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
This is more likely due to Miami's year round climate. It really isn't that walkable at all, unless you focus on specific parts of Miami that are (e.g. Miami Beach, Downtown ). Miami is not a safe place for the average pedestrian. Crossing any road in Miami is risky as traffic does not yield for pedestrians. In fact, the 4 most dangerous cities for pedestrians are all in FL, though Miami isn't the worst.

By contrast, many drivers stop to let you cross here, even when they don't have to. Months after leaving Miami and I still cross the street with utmost fear, expecting to get honked or almost hit by a car!

Your post is very accurate .... I sometimes wonder if the people that conduct these "studies" are doing crack at nights ?

I like some aspects of Miami ... restaurants and nightlife are two of them .. but a "walkable" city ... that is a joke .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Altoona, PA
933 posts, read 479,955 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Your post is very accurate .... I sometimes wonder if the people that conduct these "studies" are doing crack at nights ?

I like some aspects of Miami ... restaurants and nightlife are two of them .. but a "walkable" city ... that is a joke .
I read very little into most of these "surveys" conducted. My advice: visit a place and make your own mind up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM
 
2,940 posts, read 4,065,478 times
Reputation: 1316
Miami walkable? Please. What a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 miles are walk friendly, but the whole city?

I don't even understand how people can defend this nonsense. "more walkable than Dallas" that's like comparing Liberty City to Overtown and concluding that Liberty city is a very wealthy neighborhood because it has less poverty than Overtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Miami/ Washington DC
4,719 posts, read 5,399,170 times
Reputation: 2251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Miami walkable? Please. What a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 miles are walk friendly, but the whole city?

I don't even understand how people can defend this nonsense. "more walkable than Dallas" that's like comparing Liberty City to Overtown and concluding that Liberty city is a very wealthy neighborhood because it has less poverty than Overtown.
Compare Miami to other cities around the US:
Dallas
Houston
Jacksonville
San Antonio
Indianapolis
Detroit

Compared to the majority of cities in the country Miami is not as bad as we all see it. It is bad when we compared it to cities in Miami "class" DC, Boston, San Fran...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM
 
3,046 posts, read 4,396,524 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Miami walkable? Please. What a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 miles are walk friendly, but the whole city?

I don't even understand how people can defend this nonsense. "more walkable than Dallas" that's like comparing Liberty City to Overtown and concluding that Liberty city is a very wealthy neighborhood because it has less poverty than Overtown.
I'm sure the study is ONLY including the city of Miami, meaning within the city limits. The city limits of Miami only cover a very small area of ground including the downtown area and Brickell. Coral Gables, Kendall, Doral, Hialeah, North Miami, etc. ARE NOT part of the city of Miami. They are separate jurisdictions.

If we exclude all of these suburbs that are separate cities altogether, then the downtown area and Brickell are very walkable. This is the mistake lots of you all are making is you are grouping in the suburbs into this equation.

Have any of you ever been to Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Dallas, Atlanta, Birmingham, or Charlotte? Miami is WAY more walkable than these cities. Just because it isn't NYC or DC doesn't mean it isn't one of the top 10 most walkable cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
 
Location: West Kendall
4,746 posts, read 4,902,132 times
Reputation: 1104
The city of Miami is not only the CBD and Brickell. It is also Flagami (not walkable), Overtown (not walkable), Model City (Not walkable), Coconut Grove (Who walks there?), Little Haiti (UNWALKABLE), Liberty City (not walkable), West Flager (same again), Coral Way (you know how the story goes), and a few others.

In case you didn't know, this is the Map of Miami proper:

http://www.miamigov.com/nets/Images/NET_small.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Miami/ Washington DC
4,719 posts, read 5,399,170 times
Reputation: 2251
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
The city of Miami is not only the CBD and Brickell. It is also Flagami (not walkable), Overtown (not walkable), Model City (Not walkable), Coconut Grove (Who walks there?), Little Haiti (UNWALKABLE), Liberty City (not walkable), West Flager (same again), Coral Way (you know how the story goes), and a few others.

In case you didn't know, this is the Map of Miami proper:
You still do get it. Miami is dense. There are grocies stores every .5 miles, places to eat every .5 miles, a pharmacy every .5 miles. Go to most of the US you have to drive 20mins to go food shopping. Coral Way Very walkable, Coconut Grove very walkable, Little Havana very walkable. Even the poor high crime areas have metrorail and are dense people are walking around there often. This is not about can I walk from Coconut Grove to Biscayne and 79th street. Yes again compared to places like DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago Miami is not that walkable but this is the whole United States we are talking about. Not many more cities are as small and dense as Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 PM
 
Location: West Kendall
4,746 posts, read 4,902,132 times
Reputation: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You still do get it. Miami is dense. There are grocies stores every .5 miles, places to eat every .5 miles, a pharmacy every .5 miles. Go to most of the US you have to drive 20mins to go food shopping. Coral Way Very walkable, Coconut Grove very walkable, Little Havana very walkable. Even the poor high crime areas have metrorail and are dense people are walking around there often. This is not about can I walk from Coconut Grove to Biscayne and 79th street. Yes again compared to places like DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago Miami is not that walkable but this is the whole United States we are talking about. Not many more cities are as small and dense as Miami.
So you are telling me that if I look at it from a different perspective, Miami is walkable and dense.

That makes sense. And it's true, compared to the rest America Miami wins.

"In the Country of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM
 
Location: West Kendall
4,746 posts, read 4,902,132 times
Reputation: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Miami walkable? Please. What a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 miles are walk friendly, but the whole city?

I don't even understand how people can defend this nonsense. "more walkable than Dallas" that's like comparing Liberty City to Overtown and concluding that Liberty city is a very wealthy neighborhood because it has less poverty than Overtown.
That's the wrong analogy.

Let's begin with the basics:

1) The title (and thus the study) go with the name of "...IN AMERICA".
2) A better analogy would be this: Marriot Hotel is one of the tallest structures in Kendall. Nothing to argue about that since it's simply facts. There are 3 other buildings taller than Marriot, and it's of course only 12 floors high ( right?). No one is saying it's a super taller, or, that there are no other buildings in Kendall taller than Marriot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
 
2,940 posts, read 4,065,478 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I'm sure the study is ONLY including the city of Miami, meaning within the city limits. The city limits of Miami only cover a very small area of ground including the downtown area and Brickell. Coral Gables, Kendall, Doral, Hialeah, North Miami, etc. ARE NOT part of the city of Miami. They are separate jurisdictions.

If we exclude all of these suburbs that are separate cities altogether, then the downtown area and Brickell are very walkable. This is the mistake lots of you all are making is you are grouping in the suburbs into this equation.

Have any of you ever been to Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Dallas, Atlanta, Birmingham, or Charlotte? Miami is WAY more walkable than these cities. Just because it isn't NYC or DC doesn't mean it isn't one of the top 10 most walkable cities.
Yes even the city limits are for the most part not walk friendly.

I've been to every city you posted except Charlotte. To me the difference is not significant

Does it have potential? Sure but they should start by making the roads more pedestrian friendly, especially in those areas where people are already walking like Little Havana and the intersections close to the metrorail stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top