Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,581 times

Advertisements

Right.
But the economic bond is taking place.
A Cuban friend that lives in Cuba and that belongs to the "new class" told me that "everybody" (with some money, Spanish passport or a close relative in Miami) goes to Miami to shop, just like before 1959.
So the whole island goes to Miami to shop (and avoid castro's mordida on everything).
Even the "top" politicos go to Miami and visit Versailles.
Also, most new "paladares" and "casas de alquiler" are financed from Miami, the whole island.

I'd say 30 years... if Cuba could be open as a capitalistic country, the rest of the islands on the Caribbean would go down like a plummet..no comparison. Cuba has 1300 totally virgin keys, no pollution...large empty places and the population is quite cultured (propaganda apart)..and 90 miles...

Places like Bahamas and Jamaica would disappear from the tourism scene, and RD would take a beating. "North Havana" and Cuba will eventually be some sort of union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Right.

I'd say 30 years... if Cuba could be open as a capitalistic country, the rest of the islands on the Caribbean would go down like a plummet..no comparison. Cuba has 1300 totally virgin keys, no pollution...large empty places and the population is quite cultured (propaganda apart)..and 90 miles...
Okay, 30 years sounds like as good a number as any, more or less in the middle of 20-60.

Also good point about Cuba's potential impact further southward, I didn't consider that point of view as well. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Yes, it is insulting and ironic how they claim political asylum and the first chance they get they are back visiting Cuba. The system definitely has its flaws and is not equal for all immigrants. The Venezuelans should have the same rights of declaring political asylum but then again they will be back visiting Venezuela just like what the Cubans do.

They might not get it all but they sure do get a lot. A lot more than what the first Cubans that arrived got. But lets not forget that they pay taxes just like everyone else so they are contributing somewhat into the system.
People who claim political asylum cannot travel to their home countries for many years. If they travel they lose their legal status.

I do not mind Cubans traveling to Cuba. I dislike when I hear them talking about the underage amiguitas they have there. They take advantage of poor desperate people.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Colombians stab people on their backs. The more Colombians a city has the more corruption and violence it has.

"Colombiano honesto se muere chiquito" that is a popular saying in Latin America. "Honest Colombians die when they are toddlers", meaning all Colombian teens/adults have too much malice.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Okay, 30 years sounds like as good a number as any, more or less in the middle of 20-60.

Also good point about Cuba's potential impact further southward, I didn't consider that point of view as well. Thanks!

Cuba lives off the incomes of two colonies, South Florida and Venezuela.
Cuba will have and has a tremendous and total future impact northward, south Florida.
Also will mean the economic distraught of places like Bahamas, north of the island.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
People who claim political asylum cannot travel to their home countries for many years. If they travel they lose their legal status.

I do not mind Cubans traveling to Cuba. I dislike when I hear them talking about the underage amiguitas they have there. They take advantage of poor desperate people.

They do, I see them, most are very recent arrivals that are into the mula business. The whole Hialeah. Underage....that's bad business down there..two mexicans and a few canadians in the can for that.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post

I don't know, it must not be enforced because they do it all the time.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I don't know, it must not be enforced because they do it all the time.
there are severe penalties if you get caught with an underaged lady in Cuba....in fact, most hotels and owners of private casas almost always ask the lady for identification to make sure she is of legal age upon entering.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I would expect So Florida tourism would take a bit of a hit as well--hence, one of the reasons the outdated embargo remains in effect today. Follow the money trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Right.
But the economic bond is taking place.
A Cuban friend that lives in Cuba and that belongs to the "new class" told me that "everybody" (with some money, Spanish passport or a close relative in Miami) goes to Miami to shop, just like before 1959.
So the whole island goes to Miami to shop (and avoid castro's mordida on everything).
Even the "top" politicos go to Miami and visit Versailles.
Also, most new "paladares" and "casas de alquiler" are financed from Miami, the whole island.

Places like Bahamas and Jamaica would disappear from the tourism scene, and RD would take a beating. "North Havana" and Cuba will eventually be some sort of union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami