Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 PM

261 posts, read 397,168 times

Advertisements

is it rife here in miami? share your stories with me....went to a pet store on a sat to get food for my 2 cats and 1 dog and ended u coming out with mo money and a black cat.....never seen anything like this in europe, whereby pet shops have a adoption day for pets, heard such horrid stories.

also heard a man losing his temper BIG style with his dog down the street...and I mean a REAL beating, did not call the police but I went around the next day...apparently punishment....ironically met the dad of the young man today (whilst walking a lost dog that seems to have appeared out of no where this afternoon on our street...another story!! lol) and told him what i had witnessed and he said yes my two boys are out of control and yes he beats his dog, I have seen him do it... and do me a favour next time if you hear this, call the police..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Many countries in Europe have strict animal control laws, so the rate of unwanted pets is much lower than here. I never understood why in the heck someone who does not like animals, always seems to get one. I think animal abuse is in line with low self esteem, it must make many of those people feel great about themselves to pick on something weaker than them.

Not all of Europe values animals as much as in the UK or Greece, just go to parts of Greece and Italy and you will see homeless animals running around everywhere, and people who could care less about them.

What I hate is the huge amounts of people who purchase some cute kitty for their kid, then the kid because bored and the kitty is now a cat, and then try to advertise that they "found out themselves/their kid is allergic and need to get rid of the cat". it seems like half of Florida is allergic to cats, all of them find out when they have a 3-8 year old kid they got the cat for.

But animal abuse, yea, there is too much of it. Look at the crime rate, too many people do not give a hoot about others, let alone an animal, it s the whole "value of life" psychology, some people just do not value living things.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
It is strange, I have had cats and dogs and still do and never had to hit any of them. My pets are always waiting for me when I get home and so do my parents pets. Right now my dog is on the floor by my desk and both my cats are on the desk sleeping.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe people are just a-holes, but I have never had trouble with my animals and certainly never had any reason to get rid of them.

I am guessing it is the latter.

If you're too lazy to train your pets, you're likely too lazy to take care of them when the chips are down.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
There are so many people that shouldn't have a dog. Either they can't afford the dog or don't have the time to take care of the dog, yet they want a pet when they see this cute little puppies. I don't go to the pet stores on the weekends anymore because I know I will see the dogs there with the rescue groups. It truely breaks my heart to see so many dogs that need homes yet people go and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to have some perfect Yorkie for instance. When there are great pure bread dogs at the shelter or these rescue groups that need homes.

I have a neighbor that can't keep their dog in their yard, she climbs right over their fence. They are busy people, so the poor dog is alone or doesn't get played with obviously. The dog climbs right over their fence and travels around the neighborhood. Some of the neighbors have spoken to them about her getting out and almost being hit by cars, yet they still let her out. There is a reason why their dog is jumping the fence, to get away from them. If it were a good home the dog wouldn't be jumping the fence. These people are a great example of people who shouldn't have a dog.

As for what can been done about the guy beating the dog, probably not much sadly. It has to be pretty bad for the police or animal control to step in.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
There are so many people that shouldn't have a dog. Either they can't afford the dog or don't have the time to take care of the dog, yet they want a pet when they see this cute little puppies. I don't go to the pet stores on the weekends anymore because I know I will see the dogs there with the rescue groups. It truely breaks my heart to see so many dogs that need homes yet people go and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to have some perfect Yorkie for instance. When there are great pure bread dogs at the shelter or these rescue groups that need homes.

I have a neighbor that can't keep their dog in their yard, she climbs right over their fence. They are busy people, so the poor dog is alone or doesn't get played with obviously. The dog climbs right over their fence and travels around the neighborhood. Some of the neighbors have spoken to them about her getting out and almost being hit by cars, yet they still let her out. There is a reason why their dog is jumping the fence, to get away from them. If it were a good home the dog wouldn't be jumping the fence. These people are a great example of people who shouldn't have a dog.

As for what can been done about the guy beating the dog, probably not much sadly. It has to be pretty bad for the police or animal control to step in.
My daughter's SO had a 14 year old dog (adopted from a shelter when she was little girl) who had to be put down because of illness. One day when she was at a pet food store chain getting cat food with my daughter, she saw a man screaming and hitting his puppy. In the past, she had seen the same man there abusing his dog.

This time she went up to the man and told him that her dog just had to be put down and she was heartbroken and missed her dog. "If you don't want that puppy, I will be very happy to take him home with me and give him a very good home." He gave her the dog, then and there. Just like that!

She took the puppy to the Vet, got his shots, neutering, etc., and he is now a very happy doggie with people who love him.

When they told me about this, I almost cried. We need sometimes to hear about GOOD outcomes, don't you think?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Good outcome:

Friends of my brother had a beautiful, sweet husky-type dog. All the friends loved her. She was friendly, smart, and engaging.
They then proceeded to have a baby AND put in wood floors.

Well, they didn't want the dog to scratch up their wood floors, so they banished her to the back yard. This in and of itself BLOWS my mind completely. We literally have tens of thousands of dollars worth of wood floors in our house (and not the cheap-ass crap those people put in their house), and banishing my dog to the backyard because she MIGHT scratch them is incomprehensible. THEN, because she started escaping from the back yard (out of boredom, I imagine), they shut her up in a little caged kennel run. So she started barking and climbing.

So then they put out a message (on facebook) that they wanted to give away the dog or they would take it to a shelter.

I mean, ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

Needless to say, I defriended these people IMMEDIATELY after sending a several messages about different solutions for their floor or even those plastic/wax caps you can put on dogs' nails so they don't scratch. I was broken hearted, but I knew with 4 dogs, I couldn't take another one. I asked all my friends at work, etc. It seemed that the dog was doomed to be tossed in a shelter.

Thank god in heaven another friend of theirs who knew the dog well finally stepped up and said he'd take her. That made my day.

Those people are disgusting and don't deserve a child let alone ever having another dog.

The best part of this story is that all the research I was motivated to do to find a way for the dog to live with those wood floors enabled me a few months later to tell ANOTHER friend (who was sad about her floors and wondering about what to do with her boxer) about the different strategies. She implemented them and she and her family are totally happy that they can have their dog and their wood floors.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

You are right so many people that shouldn't have a dog. I have seen dogs roaming around looking for food. If you can not feed your self you have no business having a pet.
They need too put a camera to catch these people dumping dogs.
Rescue Group Saves Dogs Abandoned In The Everglades - Pets News Story - WPLG Miami

Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
While I am personally a "catlady", I cannot and will not tolerate abuse and mistreatment of any animal, including wildlife. If these people can do this to a poor, defenseless animal, I would not put it pass them to do it also to a poor, defenseless human being, eg., children, as another poster said.

Where I used to live up North, I was always on the phone calling up to have dead animals picked up off the roads. While they would pick up a dead dog or cat, they wouldn't for a racoon, squirrel, etc. Why NOT? It was still a living and breathing ANIMAL? Horrible.

I guess it's up to us, however we can, to stop the cruelty.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM

261 posts, read 397,168 times
hear hear.. glad to hear there are good peeps out there to their pets....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami