Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM

13 posts, read 28,282 times

Advertisements

Well I just got a job offer in Miami I don’t think I can turn down. I am a Denver native and have been traveling for work for the last 18 months. I spent some time in Miami, mostly Aventura and Hialeah area. I need some advice on where to live, make new friends, etc. I will be working m-f business hours and enjoy going out on weekends. I enjoy the beach scene of southern California (Venice, Manhattan etc) if that gives you any idea of my taste. I would prefer being within a bike ride of just about anything. I work out quite a bit, here on the west coast 24 hour fitness is king but wouldn’t mind a recommendation for MIA if you have one. Basically I would like to be somewhere affordable (1k or less a month, cheaper is better) that is central and has other single young professionals. I have heard Miami Beach, South Beach, and Brickell. I am open to any suggestions! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,197 times
Where (i.e. in which part of the city) will you be working?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
You might be able to find a small, very small place in the good areas of Miami Beach for 1k a month. By good I mean location. All of Miami Beach is safe. But yes, Miami Beach seems like the place for you. Anything south of 24th street will be good. Does not matter East or West side fo the island it is pretty small.

Other area you can look at is downtown, could get a little bit bigger of a place. But still very small. Which Downtown does not have that many small studio type places as Miami Beach would. The 1k and under will limit some choices, but I think it is possible. So check out Miami Beach south of 24th or Downtown Miami. Let us know how that goes, if you have any luck finding a place in your price range. If not there are a few other options.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM

14 posts, read 50,552 times
Check out Midtown.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
For $1000 and in any action you're going to have to settle on an old, very small studio in Miami Beach. Nothing in Downtown, Brickell or really even Midtown is going to be that cheap.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

14 posts, read 17,419 times
if you wan to be within a bike ride away from things u def want to check out south beach, like they said tho itll be a small place and for about 1k a month and up. the only thinkg bad abut south beach is it can get complicated to find parking some nights and weekends and almost impossible in holydays, but ull be within blocks from the beach, bars clubs all the action. sunny if you check out the normandy/miami beach area you can find something a little bigger and till be 15 mins from south beach.
my fav area is sunny isles and aventura, 30 mins from south beach and its a very nicee safee areaa. good luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I accepted the offer today. It looks like my office would be near the University of Miami. I have been looking a little around the South Beach, Downtown, Brickell areas. I have found a few things but I would deff want to see them in person first. Anyone have any experience with how much you can negotiate on a rental down here? I would like to stay around 1k but I have been hearing its worth it to get in a nice complex. Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Confirmed today my office is by University of Miami. Do you think South Beach would be too much of a commute?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 PM

420 posts, read 823,243 times
If it is the main campus of UM, then yes, SoBe is a bit far. But yes, really the best area to be in Miami if you're in your 20s.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM

I fly down Tuesday and have a week to house hunt so I will check out some of these areas. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami