Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times

Advertisements

If you've been out drinking downtown lately and stumbled upon a street corner bursting with neon-colored weeds, don't worry: It's not an acid trip gone wrong.

It's weed bombing.

"We're tired of living in a big dump overrun with weeds and trash," says chief bombadier Brad Knoefler, owner of downtown club Grand Central. "If the city is going to keep on treating us like this we're going to draw attention to it."

​Knoefler says he's spent $100,000 of his own money over the years cleaning up downtown because the city failed to do so. By this summer, he and other downtown residents were fed up.

"Why do we have to cut the weeds ourselves?" he asks. "We already pay taxes."

Then, this May, he spotted an article on artists in other cities who make political statements by covering things -- statues, street lamps, even buses -- in yarn.

"Yarn bombing," Knoefler says. "They draw attention to things in disgusting neighborhoods. But here in downtown Miami, the roads are actually in really good shape because the city cares much more about automobile traffic than it does about pedestrians."

"Weed Bombing" Transforms Downtown's Urban Blight into Psychedelic Bling - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Plants growing are now bothering people? I think the growth looks just fine, but I never was into the perfect manicured yard look.

The overgrown plants are not hurting anyone, unlike other things that exist in the city. I rather the city not spend money on it.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The overgrown plants are not hurting anyone, unlike other things that exist in the city. I rather the city not spend money on it.
It makes the city look trashy and can contribute to pest activity (mice, rats, etc.)

No excuse for such overgrown conditions, especially in the CBD.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Ok, so in some people's opinion it makes the city look trashy (never mind the numerous other items, crime rate included), but with limited funds, a plant growing tall should probably be on the bottom of the list on things to fix.

As far as pest activity, once the city cleans up the homeless, the crime, and the drugs, then I think the city should divert funds to the war on pests. Goodness, look at some of these areas people live in, many of you would not ever walk down these streets of these areas at night, some at any time of the day, yet money should go towards trimming some weeds?

I think the money should go towards apprehending and fining these guys who are vandalizing property, I rather have some greenery than some spray paint.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Cutting grass down with a weed whacker is hardly a major task like say, winning the war on drugs or eradicating crime.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM

It is a major task when the city must used funds to pay for it, and this has to be done again and again throughout the year.

If the city was flush with money, then fine, low priority projects can get done. But right now, the city does not have the luxury of addressing everything on its wish list, so things must be prioritized. To me, cutting down some weeds is low on the priority list, because all in all, they do not physically harm anything sitting there.

Instead of spray painting the weeds, why don't they pull them out and/or cut them?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
It is a major task when the city must used funds to pay for it, and this has to be done again and again throughout the year.

If the city was flush with money, then fine, low priority projects can get done. But right now, the city does not have the luxury of addressing everything on its wish list, so things must be prioritized. To me, cutting down some weeds is low on the priority list, because all in all, they do not physically harm anything sitting there.
Low priority until business starts to suffer. Nobody wants to be in an overgrown city, it makes it feel dirty and unsafe. If people don't feel safe they're not going to frequent downtown businesses as much and if they don't frequent the business, the business shut down. If the business shut down, tax revenue is lost.

A clean, well manicured city is essential for retaining visitors and businesses as well as making the area appealing to new businesses.

Quote:
Instead of spray painting the weeds, why don't they pull them out and/or cut them?
From the article is sounds to me like they were, but are tired of doing what a portion of their tax dollars should be going for.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
If you've been out drinking downtown lately and stumbled upon a street corner bursting with neon-colored weeds, don't worry: It's not an acid trip gone wrong.

It's weed bombing.

"We're tired of living in a big dump overrun with weeds and trash," says chief bombadier Brad Knoefler, owner of downtown club Grand Central. "If the city is going to keep on treating us like this we're going to draw attention to it."

​Knoefler says he's spent $100,000 of his own money over the years cleaning up downtown because the city failed to do so. By this summer, he and other downtown residents were fed up.

"Why do we have to cut the weeds ourselves?" he asks. "We already pay taxes."

Then, this May, he spotted an article on artists in other cities who make political statements by covering things -- statues, street lamps, even buses -- in yarn.

"Yarn bombing," Knoefler says. "They draw attention to things in disgusting neighborhoods. But here in downtown Miami, the roads are actually in really good shape because the city cares much more about automobile traffic than it does about pedestrians."

"Weed Bombing" Transforms Downtown's Urban Blight into Psychedelic Bling - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

That looks cool!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
I walk all over the place. I don't think I've ever thought "darn the city should cut this grass" when I'm by the sidewalk. Maybe I don't notice things or it doesn't bother me that much as long as the sidewalk is clear and there aren't over-extending trees.

I guess it may not be professional looking for a business district, but I think it looks interesting and I like it. Let them do it....

Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
This actually makes me kind of sad, really. I actually like the weeds that crop up between paved areas. It reminds me that nature is in control! -- At least in South Florida! I welcome any spot of green whether it be a weed or not! Somehow I think that spraypainting plants with toxic chemicals is going to translate into bad karma for the people doing it! They should just leave nature alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: