U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:45 PM

933 posts, read 425,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
ahhh, same thing is happening all over the country with retail corporations buying out and standardizing department stores - we lost all our lovely old unique stores in Philly too; to Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc.; it started years ago. this is nothing unique to Florida or Miami - corporate buyouts & gentrification is everywhere.

I personally have no emotional feelings for a grocery store. as long as it's clean, brightly lit, well-organized, and good prices i couldn't care less if the store has any special 'style'.
Stop & Shop up here is virtually identical to Publix, in terms of the products they sell. Stop & Shop have better produce though, but Publix has a better bakery and sells beer (can't buy beer in a supermarket here, which is annoying!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM

8,315 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
A lot of what made Florida special and unique has been watered down or eliminated. Publix used to have a distinctive Florida feel with their terrazzo floors and overall style and selection. Now, they have adopted the industry standard where their store could easily undergo a name change and it could be any other similar type supermarket in anytown, usa. As local companies have turned into regional or national chains, they try to dilute the uniqueness they once had to be "universally appealing". The same happened with Burdine's a.k.a. Macy's. Burdine's used to be the Florida store...but now it's just Macy's, any other department store.

This same trend is scene across the board, a lot of places and things are "sanitized", dumbed down, universalized and it removes any character places once had.

Look at the local parks and schools for example, the older ones have so much character and are user friendly. The new ones are "up to code" with identical Live Oak and Mahogony natives spread throughout with a few token Royal Palms. The same design will be repeated countywide.

It is sad that the lack of creativity and uniqueness that one made places special is fading in South Florida. I gather you miss some of those traits as do many people who loved South Florida before it pimped itself out to developers and investors and was bough by special interests.

Anyways, if you have to choose between WD and Public, I think Publix wins hand down, no debate about it...
Very true. There was a time when the Miami area stood out from Ft lauderdale and West Palm, now it is all one giant suburb. Even Clewiston, where I live near feels the same as Miami. It is all generic, no character just chain stores. Going to U-save feels the same as Publix. In fact, my dad just went to Publix today and had a terrible experience. They had missing prices on some of the produce, and the employees were not helpful. One told him to go to the cashier to see the price!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 PM

7,783 posts, read 9,094,978 times
I'm not impressed with either store but I'd take Publix over WinnDixie every day of the week.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,390,702 times
Winn Dixie and Pantry Pride (still exists?) are older supermarkets in poorer areas.
So prices will be the same, less offer but some have adapted more to locals.
Some Winn Dixies sound like a great Sedano, other are in need of refurbishment..
Others, way back in Miami Beach, were Jewish supermarkets, etc.
Publixs are nicer, of course. They have the Deli section, more wines, etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,840,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I am still mad at Publix for ruining their original stores. They used to be top of the line and super clean, now they are just average. Very expensive and mediocre produce. Now I admit, they have some really helpful employees. However, their stores ruin the experience for me.
Publix produce sucks. Winn Dixie and Sedanos have fresher produce.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM

958 posts, read 1,798,361 times
They just opened a new Publix in Killian and 117th and it's tiny,it's totally opposite of all the new Publixes opening up which are huge to at least decently big.Maybe on a calm day it would be OK to shop there but any day that's busy I rather just make a 5-10 drive to a bigger one.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM

1,317 posts, read 894,338 times
They just redid my Publix, the last one on Kendall Drive, all the way on 167th. The best part about it is the produce section. There is actually pretty decent produce now. The one on 120th St and 127th Ave is usually pretty good too. They have much bigger selections of everything. Drove by the one on Killian and 117th on Tuesday and it didn't look open yet. When did that one open?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM

958 posts, read 1,798,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
They just redid my Publix, the last one on Kendall Drive, all the way on 167th. The best part about it is the produce section. There is actually pretty decent produce now. The one on 120th St and 127th Ave is usually pretty good too. They have much bigger selections of everything. Drove by the one on Killian and 117th on Tuesday and it didn't look open yet. When did that one open?
It had a grand opening sign when I went on Thursday and there were managers all over the place so I guess that same day.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,060,612 times
Publix is vastly superior in terms of quality, but is also significantly more expensive than Winn Dixie.

There was a time when Winn-Dixie and Publix were on even keel back in the 80's or so. Winn-Dixie always had better meats and poultry, while Publix had a superior bakery department. At some point, Publix gradually distinguished themselves as the better quality grocery store and Winn-Dixie declined to become known as the poor people's grocery store. We used to have other big chains in South FL years ago like Albertson's and IGA, but Publix pushed them out of the market. Winn Dixie survived by catering to the low income crowd who couldn't afford Publix.

Today, the typical Winn Dixie in recent years is a run down dimly lit store in desperate need of renovation with very few checkout lanes open. It typically attracts the Wal-Mart crowd. Every time I go there, there is something I want they don't carry or are out of stock. Their bread and milk are cheap but usually expires 5 days after you buy it. There is no reason to ever shop at Winn Dixie anymore unless you need to save money.

A typical Publix is well managed with plenty of checkout lines and a higher class of shoppers. Publix typically has every product you could ever need or want and 5 different brands of it. My only problem with Publix is that their produce is garbage. But so is everyone else's. You really need to go to Milam's or a farmers market to get good produce.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 PM

140 posts, read 118,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Publix is vastly superior in terms of quality, but is also significantly more expensive than Winn Dixie.

There was a time when Winn-Dixie and Publix were on even keel back in the 80's or so. Winn-Dixie always had better meats and poultry, while Publix had a superior bakery department. At some point, Publix gradually distinguished themselves as the better quality grocery store and Winn-Dixie declined to become known as the poor people's grocery store. We used to have other big chains in South FL years ago like Albertson's and IGA, but Publix pushed them out of the market. Winn Dixie survived by catering to the low income crowd who couldn't afford Publix.

Today, the typical Winn Dixie in recent years is a run down dimly lit store in desperate need of renovation with very few checkout lanes open. It typically attracts the Wal-Mart crowd. Every time I go there, there is something I want they don't carry or are out of stock. Their bread and milk are cheap but usually expires 5 days after you buy it. There is no reason to ever shop at Winn Dixie anymore unless you need to save money.

A typical Publix is well managed with plenty of checkout lines and a higher class of shoppers. Publix typically has every product you could ever need or want and 5 different brands of it. My only problem with Publix is that their produce is garbage. But so is everyone else's. You really need to go to Milam's or a farmers market to get good produce.
Those are my impressions, virtually word for word. I rarely give Winn-Dixie a chance since the one nearest to me -- Sunset and 87th -- fits your description of dimly lit with few lines open. I had no idea some newer Winn-Dixies looked like the pictures early in this thread. Perhaps I'll make a visit.

Publix seemingly has raised prices even more than the typical grocery chain over the past year or so. I try to concentrate on the buy one/get one options and the handful of items that I use frequently and the prices are reasonable. Only recently I've been detouring to Target for a few things, especially the Target on Bird and the Palmetto since a Publix is adjacent. I can literally park in one spot and hit both of them.

Overall in Miami I don't do nearly as well in grocery bargains as when I'm in Las Vegas. In that city I'll scan the weekly flyers and identify specific buy one/get one or extreme sales at Smith's, Albertson's and Von's. There are several areas where one of each is available not far removed. More competition so more bargains. They jack up the price to absurd level if you don't use the saving's card because so many nitwits don't know or don't care they are being ripped off and will pay anything. Often my printout at the Las Vegas stores claims a "savings" of 40% or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami