Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofit1 View Post
I'm tired of Latins in general...their language and trying to to take over America with it. Where I grew up everyone was from a different culture and country and we did not have this stupid arrogant way of trying to hold onto a culture from ANOTHER COUNTRY, we all got along with and it didn't matter what country your grandparents immigrated from NOBODY CARED!!!!!!!!!!! We just played with each other and loved each and all spoke English because that's the language of THIS COUNTRY. LATIN AMERICA GET OVER YOURSELF. Annoyed
Miami's Spanish problem has zero to do with second and third generation children of immigrants. 99% of the children from immigrants who were born in other countries such as Cuban or Argentina speak English and 90% prefer English. Even the kids that came here who were born in South America and even Cuba who went to school here prefer English.
The problem are first the older Cubans, many who never took the time or really just have a difficult time to learn English. I think the bigger problem is the middle aged new immigrants from Venezuela and Colombia etc.. Who come here with money, and they they are the most important people in the world. Many of them do speak English, they just prefer Spanish and think since this is Miami they do not need to speak English. That is the major problem. And I agree with you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
I wasn't born here and I do prefer Le Ingle over Le Spanioglia. English is a very simplified, easy, and direct language. Spanish makes everything more sentimental and long... ewwww

Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

Himain

I remember that way back, most people working at a public job (or a lot of them) were AA.

Do you mean that AA have to know Spanish?
AA?? Are we talking American Airlines? Alcoholics Anomonous (sp) or African American??

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Anyone who tells you that you don't need to speak Spanish is just unknowledgeable. You need it, period. With the Latin community being the majority, more than likely the boss is going to be Latin, and Latins will hire Spanish speaking employees over English only employees.

See, you can get a job in Miami if you ONLY speak Spanish, but if you only speak English, you're going to have a problem. If you don't believe this is a problem and come to Miami thinking it's going to be easy to find a job, you're going to be just another miserable unemployed person who finds that they are in an area they absolutely hate and regret the move.

Before you attempt to move here why don't you see who's hiring in the area you think you want to work in and apply. See what type of response you get and go from there.

The only way you won't need to speak Spanish in a blue collar work field is by having your own business, but you will have to employee someone who is at least bilingual, if not, you won't be able to speak to many of your customers and they do get quite aggitated when you don't speak the language. They want to know why you haven't learned to speak Spanish - you live in Miami, you know.

Good luck, and look before you leap.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami's Spanish problem has zero to do with second and third generation children of immigrants. 99% of the children from immigrants who were born in other countries such as Cuban or Argentina speak English and 90% prefer English. Even the kids that came here who were born in South America and even Cuba who went to school here prefer English.
The problem are first the older Cubans, many who never took the time or really just have a difficult time to learn English. I think the bigger problem is the middle aged new immigrants from Venezuela and Colombia etc.. Who come here with money, and they they are the most important people in the world. Many of them do speak English, they just prefer Spanish and think since this is Miami they do not need to speak English. That is the major problem. And I agree with you there.

Well, I'm Catalan from Sitges, Barcelona, home of the Bacardis. I've got quite a lot of family that were Catalans in Cuba and they went to Miami. In fact, they owned properties in Miami since the 40's.

Cuban middle and high class spoke English 50 years ago, there were English only Schools in Havana 50 years ago. Preston. American Dominicans, etc.

I know since I spend time in Havana, and people from Havana speak good English. They speak Ensglish with a Cuban accent.

So the problem is not with the first wave of Cubans, they spoke English and were WHITE. The problems came with the ***MOD CUT*** that came afterwards.

In Cuba they have similar problems with South Americans.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-03-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Racist words

Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
AA?? Are we talking American Airlines? Alcoholics Anomonous (sp) or African American??
I'm talking about Africanos

Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:

------

Well, older Cubans and middle aged Venezuelans and Colombans with money are much better than rednecks.
Rednecks and non Spanish speakers should leave the place once and for alll.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
You don't need spanish in Miami, PERIOD

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 PM

102 posts, read 231,748 times
Quote:
i didn't see this in 'tired of it"'s post . Although the rant seemed to have an emotional tone I read that his largest concern was about clinging to a culture in a different country . It includes those who either don't learn or by choice opt not speak the language (they have the right BTW) .. but it also goes beyond it . It trickles into business.
It's as if they never really moved here . That's what I think he is trying to say .

The problem is that no matter how much money or how important a person thinks he is the moment he speaks in another language he has chosen to isolate himself . Maybe the Spanish speakers feel that they don't need the rest of the country . After all if a person has enough money he can buy what he wants no matter what language he speaks . The seller will still do business with him but that doesn't mean he will be embraced, accepted, or taken seriously . The day he runs out of money .. he's out of luck .

The Americans are not forcing anyone to speak English but in case you haven't noticed . Many english speakers moved . By doing that they are basically saying .. "keep the place , pay the taxes ,follow the laws have it your way ..
Bye Bye -C- Ya !!!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
The Spanish Speaking attitude many Latin Americans have in Miami is a big negative to the city. A lot, I mean a lot! I know many of them, well educated young professionals or college students chose to leave Miami and not come back because of the "Latin" Spanish/attitude problem there is down here sometimes. I do not see it as bad as many of the people I know see it. But it is there and it is hurting the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami