U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM

69 posts, read 153,191 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle which is a place where you don't need to speak spanish. I have always thought about moving to Miami. However, one concern that I have is that I don't speak spanish. My main concern regarding that is that I'm not sure if me not being a spanish speaker would make it harder for me to get a job.

For example, if I tried to get a job working at a hotel and I only spoke english, would those type of jobs be impossible for me to get? I would like to learn how to speak spanish eventually but the fact is that I currently don't and it would take me lots of time to be able to speak spanish well. It would be hard for me to practice it here in Seattle being that most people here only speak english and I feel that the best way to learn a new language is to be in a place where you can constantly practice it. Maybe I need a spanish speaking girlfriend. Haha. Anyway, I was just curious about some things in Miami. I have only been there once and that was about 10 years ago. I really loved it there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,667,514 times
Impossible? No, more difficult in a service job like a hotel yes. Same qualifications they are going to take the Spanish speaker over the non-speaker. You probably would have an easier time finding a job at a higher end hotel in Miami Beach or maybe a hotel in Broward. But really it is hard to find a job anywhere for anyone right now.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,307,379 times
Close to impossible in Miami. They are going to take the Spanish speaker, and there will always be a Spanish speaker applying. Probably possible in central/northern/western Broward or Palm Beach. Lower unemployment up there also.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,498,880 times
It depends I think in this case, I think if the OP looked at hotels in South Beach I think they could find work without having to know spanish. As many of the tourists are english speakers. Now if the person is looking for a job in a local hotel in West Kendall then I think they will have a problem finding a job, as spanish will be needed. But in South Beach, Key Biscayne, Brickell, Downtown I think it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 AM

4,943 posts, read 8,974,911 times
You don't even need spanish in West Kendall.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,667,514 times
Again you do not "need" it and for upperscale hotels or very low scale hotels/motels like maybe on Biscayne Blvd or a normal holiday inn across the street from UM it wont be a huge problem. However, if there is someone with the same qualifications than you or maybe a little less but is in fluent in Spanish good chance they will get taken over a non-spanish speaker given the demographics of the tourist who come to Miami.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM

66 posts, read 300,006 times
The places where you really need to speak spanish are hialeah, little havana, westchester, tamiami.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 PM

4,943 posts, read 8,974,911 times
Not so much in Westchester, but in Lil Havy you do need some spanish.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM

809 posts, read 2,095,610 times
To the OP,
I have relatives who have arrived as recently as a year ago. Believe it or not they have been told then need ENGLISH to be hired. And these are places like WalMArt and Subway. So good luck with your move, learn some basic Spanish phrases and fear not.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,307,379 times
Hmmm...quite a few wealthy Spanish speakers stay in the upscale hotels, so I'm pretty sure "Spanish preferred" is the rule not the exception (translation: Spanish required). In FLL and points north you get mostly a lot of European and US snowbird tourists, so Spanish is not really a big factor. I know when my wife applied at several of the upscale downtown/Brickell hotels (event staff, banquets, reception), the first thing she was asked is "Do you speak Spanish?" Which is ironic since she's Asian, and you'd think they would be interested in establishing her ENGLISH ability first! So as far as I know, these are just "facts on the ground." You probably don't need to be fluent, just conversant on a basic level. If you also knew some Portuguese and/or French, it's likely you'd be hired on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or