Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
umm... No.
Miami has a very very high poverty rate.
And alot of people who work full time at dead end tourist type jobs and resturants barely are above poverty line so they are not counted.

Miami is a great city in a great county.
However...
Miami has an extremely high crime rate and is very poor. Thats just the facts.
Um...yes the facts do show that Dade has average poverty rates, its something like 3 points over the average. The only reason the city of Miami has high poverty rates is becuase the Cities limits eat up most of the ghettos in the county. Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, and very few other ones are not in the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 12:40 AM

150 posts, read 426,311 times
Default So glad I got out of that cesspool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiami View Post
what about wealthy people in miami. there are here more wealthy people than most of the cities in the USA.
so it can not be so poor.
Yes, there are a lot of people in Miami that have a lot of money. However, they don't live in Miami. They may live in Miami-Dade, but not in Miami. They live in Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Fischer Island (Move over 90210, 33109 is the most expensive piece of real estate in the country!!!) Coral Gables, All those little island suburbs around the JFK causeway and Bal Harbour, Miami Lakes, Pinecrest, Kendall, South Miami, Miami Shores, etc. Point being the statistics make Miami the poorest city in the country, and that is correct because any area with money (with a few exceptions: Coconut Grove, The Roads, obviously downtown) have incorporated. So you have areas like the pork n beans and little havana left where seriously nobody has any money, and they live in crap apartments because the city will not build affordable housing. But the stats are a bit misleading. GLAD I LEFT!!!!!!! I'M NOW IN TENNESSEE, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetCowboy View Post
miami is now the 5th poorest city in the nation.Do you think it is because there are so many illegals who do not have the skills to succeed in an expensive city.Why dont the real estate developers knock down some of the ghetto areas and rebuild.That seems the only way to improve Miami for the future.

Cleveland still poor, but not poorest big city in U.S. - Cleveland Metro News – The Latest Breaking News, Photos and Stories from The Plain Dealer
Demographics and low education are part of it, and just the economy down there with low wages and a large underground workforce. The high cost of living makes it worse, but the U.S. census bureau dose even adjust for differences in the local cost of living in diferant parts of the U.S. But really, most of the immigrants in Miami are legal, unlike some parts of the country.

Last edited by bigtallredhead; 10-04-2007 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Wrong! The problem with Miami is that the standard of living is super high, yet, salaries are among the lowest in the nation for a big city. I bet you that Houston, San Antonio or Austin TX have more illegals than Miami, but they rank among the best cities to live in the USA. Illegals are to blame for many of our nation's problems, but they don't make a city poor.
San Antonio not as far as illegal migrants go, -most Hispanics there are U.S. born mostly 3+ generation, and a relitively large% of the immigrants are naturalized. Houston definitely has more, not sure about Austin. Otherwise mostly agree with your post, except that illegal migrants CAN make a city poor if there is a high enough concentration of them -but that's true of any poor social group -including some sorts of "white" people, -it's a matter of degree. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Well atleast it's not the first four. Did you also let those cities know how they ranked? I think that there are poor illegals, poor legals, poor hispanics, poor blacks and poor whites here. There are also plenty of middle class and wealthy people living here. If real estate developers knock down some of the "ghetto" areas, where are they going to move all the people? What will they build and at what cost? These cities have been poor for a long time, and there is nothing that is going to be done to change that.
True, except that nothing is permanent as far as humanity goes. things always change adventualy over time, often in unexpected ways. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Palm Beach County is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Gini was #1. Illegals are also not even counted in the census. I'm sure Miami-Dade and Palm Beach would have a bit lower income levels if they were. Broward, socioeconomically, went from being about average to better than average between 2000 and now, but not notably above average. I did notice there was a LOT of income growth in a few Broward communities though...

Plantation family income went to 80,910 from 65,029
Davie went to 75,364 from 56,290 (WOW!).
Pembroke Pines went from 61,480 to 72,670
Sunrise went from 47,908 to 60,791
Coral Springs went from 64,193 to 76,176
Illegal immigrant actually ARE counted in the census to the extent they respond to it. But their legal status is not recorded, and if that's what you meant you are correct, but it looks like that's not the case. And there is strong evidence that the majority do, but that there is still a serious under-count. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Illegal immigrant actually ATRE counted in the census to the extent they respond to it. But their legal status is not recorded, and if that's what you meant you are correct, but it looks like that's not the case. And there is strong evidence that the majority do, but that there is still a serious under-count. -Emil.
This is what I meant to say.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Um...yes the facts do show that Dade has average poverty rates, its something like 3 points over the average. The only reason the city of Miami has high poverty rates is becuase the Cities limits eat up most of the ghettos in the county. Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, and very few other ones are not in the city itself.
There is a lot of suburban ghetto in Miami-Dade county, -just not enough to put the overall poverty much above the national average. But plenty of class segregation.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
This is what I meant to say.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I did a typo "ATRE" that I have now corrected. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This ranking is for the city of Miami. But they also did a ranking by counties and Miami-Dade came in 10th in the nation poorest county, so a little better. Not much though.

What is happening in Miami-Dade is the gap between rich and poor is widening. So at some point the middle class will be gone (which is happening already as we see many leaving for Georgia, South and North Carolina, Tennessee) and you will be left with the poor and the rich. If we don't watch it the rest of this country will start to become like this in 20-30 years.
I agree. It costs so much just to get by down here. I had a decent job down here for 2 1/2 years and have no money to show for it. Miami is a really tough place to get started in and it seems impossible to build wealth(at least legally!). Oh did anyone read the Herald article about the proposed structured toll for I-95 that varied depending on the time of day? Instead of rewarding people for carpooling, it seems like they want to make traffic something that only the poor have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami