U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 9,964 times
Default Best place to raise a multicultural family in Miami

I am a white American originally from NYC, but I lived in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic for 8 years and was my two kids have a Dominican father. I speak Spanish well. My current husband is from India (we met in Santo Domingo…long story). I am a graphic designer who works with clients in the US and Latin America. My husband has a business importing and selling human hair extensions from India (Hispanics are a huge market).

For all the reasons above, we are very interested in relocating to the Miami/South Florida area. Right we live in North Florida and I miss speaking Spanish and all the other cultural attributes of a Latin country. I've been trying to learn more about the best areas to live with kids but the posts seemed to be skewed toward people that are looking for white neighborhoods or don't speak Spanish, neither of which are issues for us.

I want a safe, affordable area, good for kids, and accepting of a multicultural/bi-racial family. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM

6,242 posts, read 4,024,969 times
Opa Locka, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Miami Gardens, Overtown; these are great areas for you to reside in and really embrace the mulitcultural feel that Miami has to offer.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM

4,742 posts, read 4,670,873 times
Overtown might be to hip... you'll feel too "not so multicultural" in that place.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM

6,426 posts, read 12,744,048 times
With 65% of Miami-Dade being hispanic, 20% being black and 15% being white there really aren't many "white" neighborhoods. Most of Miami is pretty mixed. There really aren't any "white" areas left with 15% whites in Miami-Dade being sprinkled throughout the county . There are a few "black" areas like the above members have mentioned Overtown, Little Haiti, Miami Gardens, Liberty City, Opa Locka and Goulds (all areas I wouldn't suggest raising children). And a few hispanic areas where you will only here spanish i.e. Hialeah.

So I wouldn't worry about not find a multi cultural area. What is your price range?

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-03-2012 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Overlooking what the person above said, most of Miami is multicultural. Your current relationship and family shouldn't stand out before the eyes of most Miamians. Unless you go to pure black neighborhoods, where the race matters are actually an everyday talk.

Here in Miami, most families are very mixed. Mosst of the time the father is of a different race or ethnic background than the wife and the kids are usually also different from each other. Like, one kid might have black curly hair, and the brother might be blond blue eyed, and the younger sister with a more far-oriental look. In other family you have the Caribbean father with an Andenean mother, etc...

All of them are of course "hispanics" under American demographics, but universally they are still very different from each other. Don't take those numbers mentioned above seriously as they don't work here in Miami at all.

In other words, your relationship won't stand out visually.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 5,082,256 times
Anywhere, in Miami-Dade is diverse and multicultured with people from all over the world. Of course you will find hispanics in almost any neighborhood besides for Little Haiti and the predominately African American neighborhoods.

Any place will be what I think you are looking for, at least coming from North Florida. But price range would help a lot. I do not know if I should say Coral Gables and Miami Beach, or Miami Lakes and Miami Shores or Kendall etc..

From your post now that I read "affordable" I would suggest Miami Lakes. Also Miami Shores is a nice area but it is one of the more "white areas" but still it is diverse compared to North Florida at least.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:29 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,469,386 times
Creative

Miami is divided along ethnic lines and it's not a MULTICULTURAL CITY.
White Hispanics and Jews dominate the city and live in the best neighbourhoods.
"Anglos" are a residual population, only very rich ones prevail in the city during long periods..
Europeans and White Hispanics from Latin Americans areguzzling all the properties they can, buying entire areas left after the last bubble burst.
The city is not MULTICULTURAL at all.
You've got White Hispanics, Jews and MINORITIES.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM

609 posts, read 544,458 times
Kendall would probably be your best bet. Seems to be pretty mixed here.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Creative

Miami is divided along ethnic lines and it's not a MULTICULTURAL CITY.
White Hispanics and Jews dominate the city and live in the best neighbourhoods.
"Anglos" are a residual population, only very rich ones prevail in the city during long periods..
Europeans and White Hispanics from Latin Americans areguzzling all the properties they can, buying entire areas left after the last bubble burst.
The city is not MULTICULTURAL at all.
You've got White Hispanics, Jews and MINORITIES.
Well, you are always saying there is no such thing as multiculturalism, not even in NYC.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

3,312 posts, read 2,090,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Overtown might be to hip... you'll feel too "not so multicultural" in that place.
More like Multi-dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami