U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM

11 posts, read 12,447 times

Advertisements

Hello I am moving from Ohio to either the Ft Lauderdale or Miami area I would love some information on some high schools that are decent in the area. I looked into Weston area would love to be in that district but I believe it is out of my price range. From what I am reading I guess to enroll your child into a charter or magnet school you must enter a wait pool which was done last December unless I dont understand it correctly. You also must reside there at this time and I will be moving in June. My daughter is a good student 3.5 GPA and will be entering the 9th grade We are from a smaller town in Ohio so I know this will be a big change any help with some info will be much appreciated Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 AM

2,753 posts, read 5,824,597 times
Well a small town in Ohio to any High School in South Florida will be a huge shock.

Honestly, schools aren't that great here, but some are better than others. Even high schools in nice areas can be surprisingly over crowded and saddled down with issues you may not expect.

Regardless, you need to live close to your job, so worry about finding a home nearby. Next, look into private schools located closeby for greater stability and consistency, unless you end up in an area with a great school.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM

878 posts, read 1,045,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblond48 View Post
Hello I am moving from Ohio to either the Ft Lauderdale or Miami area I would love some information on some high schools that are decent in the area. I looked into Weston area would love to be in that district but I believe it is out of my price range. From what I am reading I guess to enroll your child into a charter or magnet school you must enter a wait pool which was done last December unless I dont understand it correctly. You also must reside there at this time and I will be moving in June. My daughter is a good student 3.5 GPA and will be entering the 9th grade We are from a smaller town in Ohio so I know this will be a big change any help with some info will be much appreciated Thanks
You mentioned one specific area that you were interested in, Weston, as being out of your price range. You have to understand that Miami-Dade County Public Schools and Broward Public Schools are two of the largest public schools systems in all of the United States. Advice on high schools "in the area" is quite the loaded statement! Only generally speaking, higher income areas like Weston will tend to have the better high schools and you most run-down low-income areas will tend to have the worst, but I don't think that is any kind of revelation. Your first task is to really begin to pinpoint specific areas in which you would like to live within these two massive counties!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM

6,488 posts, read 13,200,563 times
Coming from Ohio you will be in for a little culture shock... That said you should probably stick to Broward county as it will be more of a transition to South Florida than if you moved to Miami. The magnet schools isn't an option for you as of yet. Your child has to be enrolled in a Miami-Dade county school for a year before they can go to a magnet school. I'm not sure what Browards rule is... Killian High and Palmetto Senior Public high schools are both in good areas in Miami-Dade County. Palmetto being located in Pinecrest a really nice area, Palmetto Bay area also feeds into Palmetto senior high..

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,796,825 times
Killian High School is in a good area but the school sucks in general and has students from bad areas bused in.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I use the term in the area because I don't know the area so I really don't know what to list. Pinecrest was listed which seems wonderful. I am researching that. My rental price would be around 1300 my priority is the school though. Would love to look at charters but I guess it is not a option for a year. I just know I have decided to move and am trying all ways I know for school info. I guess the area I am interested in would be based on schools so I cant list a area since I am trying to find out school information still. If that makes any sence

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 AM

684 posts, read 794,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Well a small town in Ohio to any High School in South Florida will be a huge shock.

Honestly, schools aren't that great here, but some are better than others. Even high schools in nice areas can be surprisingly over crowded and saddled down with issues you may not expect.

Regardless, you need to live close to your job, so worry about finding a home nearby. Next, look into private schools located closeby for greater stability and consistency, unless you end up in an area with a great school.
MAST Academy at key Biscayne is ranked the best high school on the nation.

You know nothing.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM

2,753 posts, read 5,824,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
MAST Academy at key Biscayne is ranked the best high school on the nation.

You know nothing.
I stated some schools are better than others. Just because there are a few good public and magnet schools doesn't mean "I know nothing". Aparently you misunderstood my post. Please re-read, I stand by my original post.

If you think schools are good by virtue of location, look into Coral Gables High as a perfect example of what I mean. Overcrowded, not considered a good school, has had serious safety issues and is in once of the safest, richest cities in Miami Dade County.

BTW MAST isn't in Key Biscayne, that is Virginia Key, aka, city of Miami.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks checked that but I believe it is magnet which I would have to reside in Miami-Dade for a year prior am I wrong about that?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,796,825 times
Yes, MAST is a magnet school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami