Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM

433 posts, read 953,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You realize not every place in the world is going to have a perfectly diverse economy to employee a perfect diverse set of skills? How is it Miami's fault that there happens to not be a need for your skill set? Houston may have a need for your skill set, but then there will be other people with other skill sets complaining there are no jobs for them there.

When people have a skill set, they tend to use a little common sense and look for work in areas that need the skill set. I work in the financial sector, that is why I am working and living in Brickell. It is either that, or sit and complain all day living in some other city that does not have the need for my skill set, and complain that the city does not have international investment banks for me to work in.

How about this; why do you not go and search for jobs? If you know Texas will hire you, then why are you not there instead of here complaining about it?
Well Boxus, I was not complaining about education or lack of opportunities. I believe that if one wants something in life you have to do whatever it takes. But I do complain about the elistist mentality that a BS or MS will take you far when what I have seen is that those with a good enterprenourship mentality had fared better in these trouble times. While those with BS, MS, specific and unique skill sets are suffering, you can tell me about it, you work in finance.

Professionals with BS or MS make me laugh and sad because Im one of them. But what usually these elitists, usually university professor who else eh?, with MS and Phd dont see, dont want to see, or dont want to tell is that yeah you are a professional you work for the biggest manufacturer, engineering, finance company in America, but you have to clock in "fifty hours a week in some office for fifity years which at the end they tell you to **** off, ending later in some retirment village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet in time." We are just like the little guy but with a bigger paycheck.

I think that we as country, should start to focus more on other ways of education than the typical university route. A BS, MS or Phd, its only a piece of paper that says you were a little bit intelligent while putting yourself through all the BS that universities demand these days in their curriculums for the sake of keeping the leaches in the system. Do not get me started

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson; 02-07-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM

73 posts, read 143,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
These are not true classifications at all.I have a BS in Chemical Engineering,a Masters in Chemical Engineering /Computer Science am making $20.00 han hour,do not own my own home and live paycheck to paycheck.Alot of my fellow coworkers and friends are in the same boat.
That is because you are living in Miami because elsewhere you would have gotten a high paying job and would live more comfortably than Miami. Miami is not for everybody.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,611 times
Quote:
These are not true classifications at all.I have a BS in Chemical Engineering,a Masters in Chemical Engineering /Computer Science am making $20.00 han hour,do not own my own home and live paycheck to paycheck.Alot of my fellow coworkers and friends are in the same boat.
What kind of idiot would get a Masters degree in chemical engineering to live in a tourism economy such as south florida???

Dont blame the city.... there are degrees who are not required in this city.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Another day, another list, another 'whatever.'

Miami gets picked on a lot probably because it's actually known. Other hell holes like Marbury, AL don't get selected because frankly nobody has ever heard of them.

The percentage of miserable people you'll find in small town USA is most likely vastly larger than that of Miami.
Then explain the driving. People who are unhappy with some aspect of their lives take it on the world when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Where does all the aggresive driving come from if people are happy?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,472 times
I'd like to see ghettos in Miami to be completely gentrified to upper/middle class suburbs, rather than poverty ridden areas. Just redesign the broken parts of dade county, to safe neighborhoods for families, just like any other suburb in America, and I think it can change dade county a lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I'd like to see ghettos in Miami to be completely gentrified to upper/middle class suburbs, rather than poverty ridden areas. Just redesign the broken parts of dade county, to safe neighborhoods for families, just like any other suburb in America, and I think it can change dade county a lot.
Ghettos in Miami are a small portion of the city.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
Half of Miami is a ghetto.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Then explain the driving. People who are unhappy with some aspect of their lives take it on the world when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Where does all the aggresive driving come from if people are happy?
You tell me, you're obviously the doctor here

Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,692 times
Quote:
What fields are you seeing these jobs advertised?Healthcare,maybe,but Science or Engineering ,no way,not in Florida because I have looked everywhere for years.I have a friend who has a Masters in a scientific field who is selling insurance,cannot get a job in her field down here.You may see one job opening every six to twelve monthes and twenty candidates.In Texas I was offered a job making 85K in an area with a lower cost of living
I perfectly understand your point. I have a friend who is a civil engineer and she is getting paid $16 an hour That same friend has a friend working in the same industry and she's making 37k and one of her classmates who was the best engineering student of the class is jobless and living in an efficiency with his girlfriend My other friend has a civil engineer friend waiting tables in Coral Gables becuase she cannot find an engineering job.

Currently, I'm working on the restaurant industry, but I'm getting my Advertising B.A. and as soon as I get my degree I'm leaving this dump forever. I'm not gonna work for $10-$12 p/h the rest of my life when up north I can get paid $20-$30 p/h.

I'm glad they put Miami as the most miserable city. Most outsiders think Miami is just beautiful beaches, tanned and rich people and warm weather and IT'S NOT! The only place like that is South Beach and the "beautiful" people are tourists, NOT LOCALS. Crossing the bridge is mostly poor, dangerous and full of people struggling. Miami's industry is tourism and low skilled jobs. This cuty is not for engineers, artists, business executives or other professionals. Miami is nice when you are filthy rich and don't have to work here or just for vacations. This place sucks, from the weather to the people...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I perfectly understand your point. I have a friend who is a civil engineer and she is getting paid $16 an hour That same friend has a friend working in the same industry and she's making 37k and one of her classmates who was the best engineering student of the class is jobless and living in an efficiency with his girlfriend My other friend has a civil engineer friend waiting tables in Coral Gables becuase she cannot find an engineering job.

Currently, I'm working on the restaurant industry, but I'm getting my Advertising B.A. and as soon as I get my degree I'm leaving this dump forever. I'm not gonna work for $10-$12 p/h the rest of my life when up north I can get paid $20-$30 p/h.

I'm glad they put Miami as the most miserable city. Most outsiders think Miami is just beautiful beaches, tanned and rich people and warm weather and IT'S NOT! The only place like that is South Beach and the "beautiful" people are tourists, NOT LOCALS. Crossing the bridge is mostly poor, dangerous and full of people struggling. Miami's industry is tourism and low skilled jobs. This cuty is not for engineers, artists, business executives or other professionals. Miami is nice when you are filthy rich and don't have to work here or just for vacations. This place sucks, from the weather to the people...
You're definitely one of the miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami