U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM

3,246 posts, read 4,132,800 times

Advertisements

I think the building will do fine even though the parking situation is bad.

The prices (I saw from $150 to $500K) are reasonable and with Brickell CitiCenter being so close the location will be even better in the future than it is now.

What they need to do is take one studio unit out and build a sky bridge over to the Metromover station. It would be a big selling point (considering the building will be sharing a garage with 500 Brickell and assuming some residents will not have a spot at all) to be able to connect directly to Metromover without having to go to the first floor, walk across the street and go right back up.

If you have a condo on the 12th floor, it would be so much nicer to just be able to take the elevator down to say floor 5 (or wherever they would put the sky bridge) connect to Metromover and be on your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,717,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
If you have a condo on the 12th floor, it would be so much nicer to just be able to take the elevator down to say floor 5 (or wherever they would put the sky bridge) connect to Metromover and be on your way.
True, but it will also make it easier for the undesirables on the Metromover to figure out a way of gaining access into the building even with security defenses in place.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
True, but it will also make it easier for the undesirables on the Metromover to figure out a way of gaining access into the building even with security defenses in place.
I think they could find a way in regardless. Two sets of key carded doors would probably be sufficient in keeping them out.

What would be really ideal is if a sky bridge was built to 500 Brickell, MyBrickell and Brickell on the River and MDT put a security guard there in the evenings in addition to all the buildings being key carded.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,834,398 times

Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,119,136 times
Quote:
the Latin American buyers that Perez said “saved” the Miami market after the condo bust.
Notice the built-in assumption that high real estate prices are good and low real estate prices are bad. Just when there was a chance to ease the painfully high cost of living in Dade, along come our heroes to save the day.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,834,398 times

Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Looks good! The people on the east side look like they won't have much of a view, but I guess that's to be expected sooner or later. Not every will be able to have an unobstructed city or bay view.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,796,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Everyone knows (or should know) what a big transit fan I am; however, I don't see the point of NOT adding a parking garage to the bottom of every new building (in addition to street level retail.)

We are not going to eradicate cars so to knowingly contribute to a problem like parking shortages is not prudent, IMO.

Even Manhattan with the wonderful transit infrastructure there has thousands of cars still on the streets and massive parking problems.

Of course there are still many cars in Manhattan and parking is at a premium! But nevertheless there is monthly parking in Manhattan garages, it is just very expensive and not necessarily attached to every building. Also, parking in the street is not fun but it does work for many residents there. Compared to many cities, Miami has very little in the way of viable overnight street parking and monthly garage parking options for residents.

I guess my point is make use of underutilized existing parking in nearby buildings before building new garages, and don't build a new garage under each building, perhaps put in some retail parking, but not massive multi-level parking structures. For convenience, you can use valet parking to get your car to/from your garage, which many buildings in Brickell are already doing anyways even with attached garages. As with the case of congested highways, I don't think you can really build yourself out of parking shortages in major city centers...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

I guess my point is make use of underutilized existing parking in nearby buildings before building new garages, and don't build a new garage under each building, perhaps put in some retail parking, but not massive multi-level parking structures. For convenience, you can use valet parking to get your car to/from your garage, which many buildings in Brickell are already doing anyways even with attached garages. As with the case of congested highways, I don't think you can really build yourself out of parking shortages in major city centers...
The issue with that is that the buildings are going up today and as more buildings go up, there's less and less land to build new garages on as the demand for parking increases. Once a building is built, it's pretty much impossible to add a parking garage to it.

Of course you can't build your way out of a parking shortage in a city center; however, you can do things to help make future parking shortages not as severe.

People cannot use valet if there's no place for the valet to park it.

Additionally, if for some unexplained reason demand for parking plummeted and garages were empty, they could always be renovated into something else- offices, retail, housing, etc.

And one additional point, almost all new buildings are being built with street level retail so I don't see why massive multi-level parking structures would matter. If they were beginning on the ground floor, then I would agree.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

432 posts, read 659,058 times

ha.....ha.....haha......hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami