Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the biggest problem of Miami-Dade County?
Traffic 5 20.00%
Government corruption 3 12.00%
Illegal immigration 1 4.00%
Crime 3 12.00%
Low wages/high cost of living 9 36.00%
Quality of work conditions 0 0%
Superficial attitude from people 2 8.00%
Over population 2 8.00%
Nightlife 0 0%
Quality of customer service 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 PM

40 posts, read 203,721 times

Advertisements

The new label of Miami as "the most miserable city of the United States" has been well known across the Nation.

The press article mentioned several problems, which I honestly think are not exclusive from Miami.

Which is the biggest problem of Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
The article is a joke but yes Miami has its problems. I put in government because the public transit is a joke, too many high salaries for people doing nothing, too many government employees don't speak English, public schools are not great either and I always question some of the decisions they make.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Over population??? @_@

is this list for real?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
All the above?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Let's address the issues one by one:

Traffic: Traffic is bad in Miami Dade county due to the constricted land area that has allowed for 2 major highways ( FL. Tpk. & I-95) to traverse the entire metro. We are not Arlanta/ Houston/Dallas/ DC with it outer belt rings that let's you bybass the central cities.

Government corruption: From the police (remember the Miami River cops?) to many politicians it is a problem but not endimic solely to Miami.

Illegal immigration: This isn't really that big of a issue compared to the SW states that border Mexico.

Crime: What major metro doesn't have this problem? At least we aren't New Orleans who has recorded it's 29th. murder in the first 57 days of this year.

Low wages/high cost of living: This really wasn't a huge issue until Hurricane Andrew (Home Owner's Insurance) & then the housing bubble during the 2000s. It is a serious problem still.

Quality of work conditions: Care to explain this one? Not sure what this means.

Superficial attitude from people: It's glamorous Miami! Paducah, Kentucky we will never be.

Over population: I wouldn't consider Miami too be overpopulated.

Nightlife: One of the best in the nation and a major plus for tourism & the economy.

Quality of customer service: I've never had a problem. I usually have more issues when dealing with a customer service agent on the other end of a 1-800 line!

If you are underwater on your mortgage or Unemployed like the Forbes list claims , of course you are going to miserable and that "misery" can be anywhere not just Miami.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Traffic in Miami is not that bad either compared to other cities, especially considering how little public transit there is. DC, Atlanta, LA, NYC, Chicago, that is bad traffic.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
No.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Miami is a great place to live, I think one thing that could make it rough on people would be the Wages to price of rent proportions (the rent is too damn high).

On this board, people tend to come here to complain, which is typical of just about any forum. I don't think the general public would agree with the views of a lot of these haters.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Let's address the issues one by one:

Traffic: Traffic is bad in Miami Dade county due to the constricted land area that has allowed for 2 major highways ( FL. Tpk. & I-95) to traverse the entire metro. We are not Arlanta/ Houston/Dallas/ DC with it outer belt rings that let's you bybass the central cities.

Government corruption: From the police (remember the Miami River cops?) to many politicians it is a problem but not endimic solely to Miami.

Illegal immigration: This isn't really that big of a issue compared to the SW states that border Mexico.

Crime: What major metro doesn't have this problem? At least we aren't New Orleans who has recorded it's 29th. murder in the first 57 days of this year.

Low wages/high cost of living: This really wasn't a huge issue until Hurricane Andrew (Home Owner's Insurance) & then the housing bubble during the 2000s. It is a serious problem still.

Quality of work conditions: Care to explain this one? Not sure what this means.

Superficial attitude from people: It's glamorous Miami! Paducah, Kentucky we will never be.

Over population: I wouldn't consider Miami too be overpopulated.

Nightlife: One of the best in the nation and a major plus for tourism & the economy.

Quality of customer service: I've never had a problem. I usually have more issues when dealing with a customer service agent on the other end of a 1-800 line!

If you are underwater on your mortgage or Unemployed like the Forbes list claims , of course you are going to miserable and that "misery" can be anywhere not just Miami.
^^^ Post of the Month.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Yes, this list is a joke, none of the problems cited are specific to Miami.

In my view, Miami's biggest problem is property insurance prices. That is specific to Miami (maybe in common with other US southern Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico communities).

Also, despite the building boom of the mid-2000s which was more focused on speculation than the needs of real people, the housing stock is still limited and unsatisfactory, even spread over a very wide price range.

Those factors, coupled with relatively high property taxes, make Miami housing a dubious proposition.

Basic education in schools is mediocre across the planet and across human history. Where Miami falls short is that, though an international city, its cultural scope is skewed and it lacks broad and deep cosmopolitanism. For that you have to go to a city like New York, London, or Paris.

The local economy also lacks breadth and depth. History shows that most people who prosper coming into Miami bring with them wealth accumulated elsewhere and a special set of skills enabling them to take advantage of what Miami, and southern Florida and Florida in general, have to offer: international trade (and all that it implies for international finance, law, and travel); warm climate (and all that it implies for real estate trade, finance, law, and insurance, plus warm climate sports and entertainment); and no state income tax.

If you don't have competitive advantages in some combination of the above, or sheer substantial wealth (successful retiree, movie star, etc.) then Miami is certainly a struggle, like any other city or any other place anywhere in the world.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: