U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

73 posts, read 58,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
Jabao is sort of a redbone isn't it?
No, jabaos are white complexion I mean light complexion some can be white complexion, coarse hair, sometimes they have green or blue eyes, but their hair is extremely kinki. I guess an example of how they look like in American culture would be Sinbad the comedian--that is the prime example of how a jabao looks like. There are tons of African-Americans that have that same complexion but of course they are not hispanics they are African-American,same as mulatoes. When you see an African American that is not dark in complexion,yet they are called themselves AM that's exactly how mix Cubans look like--example--Alicia Keys would be what we consider mulata-and like that many others.

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM

24 posts, read 24,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
Actually jabaos--which is the local name in Cuba to name women or man that are white skin complexion,some have green eyes, but the hair has to be kinki-not curly-it's coarse hair which is what identifies that the person is Javao(men)jaba(women). Most mulatos(as) are brown-caramel complexion but some and many have beautiful hair, it can be beautiful curls, some have straight and nice curvy bodies.
Now, Cuba is full of black and mulatos(as), there are some provinces where the white presence is more noticeable,but Havana is full of black people and a mix of races.
There are tons of black Cubans here in USA but most of them do not live in Miami because it's said to be a prejudice place for them,therefore, some opt to live in the norteast like New Jersey, NY,etc.
Thank you Ami for the explanation ... English isnt my first language so it gets hard sometime to explain race differences

Unread 02-18-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,987 times
Black Hispanics are more likely to move into Black Neighborhoods

Look at the last two ladies

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:26 PM

684 posts, read 659,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Munkey View Post
Black Hispanics are more likely to move into Black Neighborhoods

Look at the last two ladies
In that video there is diverse people. The occupier is European blooded (minute 1:30)

Unread 02-18-2012, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,987 times
Yeah but hes a dirty stinking hippy who only moved there because it was free.

Jokes aside I was only using that video as an example, I've met a lot of Black Cubans and Dominicans living in African American neighborhoods and my thoughts that Black Hispanics often live with Black Americans was confirmed when I read a study about it. I can't find it anymore, tho.

Unread 02-18-2012, 05:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 860,392 times
Well Hialeah would still be the first place that comes to mind when thinking of more multiracial Hispanics/Black families/folks

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM

24 posts, read 24,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Well Hialeah would still be the first place that comes to mind when thinking of more multiracial Hispanics/Black families/folks
Absolutely wrong .. Most living in Hialeah are either old cuban people or "white" cubans ...

In fact I can say that black community in Hialeah is very limited to a few . There is just a small town in the middle of Hialeah next to 4 ave and 21 st ( nw74 ) is all black community , most afro-americans

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 4,054,163 times
well, I always thought of mulatto as the mix of white and black... like cubans. White skinned people with full lips or broad nose, for example, are a very common sight here.

Perhaps in Cuba they have more names, like the ones you guys mentioned, because of the variety of mulatto breeding and different physical results. Mulattoes nonetheless...

One mulatto is darker than other mulattoes; some were born with blond hair, others with brown skin...whatever... It has become a trend to see a variety of them, therefore is much more easier to classify them in different groups... especially in a country like Cuba.

Last edited by WINTERFRONT; 02-19-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 4,054,163 times
I was in Little Havana 3 days ago and saw old black Cubans talking to each other... and there was one that looked like from a tribe. I've had my share of seeing black cubans or african tribes before, but the lady I saw that day left me speechless.

Do you still have African tribes in Cuba?

Unread 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM

6,579 posts, read 9,652,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibestsun View Post
Wrong , mulato/a is a mix between white and black , most comed from a afro and spain mix which was veey popular back in early 1900 ... Most cuban-miami are not white like europeans but not mulato/a either
The Cubans in Miami who are "white" probably have some African ancestry some where down the line, let us not forget the Moors/Murainos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami