Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 42,399 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife have been looking for the "official" age... how old for a kid to be left home alone? We have 2 boys, 13 and 14. We don’t have any issue leaving then in bed at night and then going out, but we are a bit concerned about our nosy neighbors… they are so interfering that if they get to know, they would call the police. Therefore, we really need the official age, we have been browsing in miam-dade.gov and ymca.com, etc… but no luck so far.

Another guide could be the minimum age for a babysitter…

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc_javier View Post
Me and my wife have been looking for the "official" age... how old for a kid to be left home alone? We have 2 boys, 13 and 14. We don’t have any issue leaving then in bed at night and then going out, but we are a bit concerned about our nosy neighbors… they are so interfering that if they get to know, they would call the police. Therefore, we really need the official age, we have been browsing in miam-dade.gov and ymca.com, etc… but no luck so far.

Another guide could be the minimum age for a babysitter…

Thanks in advance
I don't think there's a minimum age. We leave our kids alone and the oldest is 14.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,373,749 times
I agree with momma_bear, there isn't an age I can think of. But probably 14/15 is a good age.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,056,040 times
I believe most classes for babysitting have an age of 12. As long as you don't leave your children overnight alone, then there shouldn't be a problem as long as your children are comfortable with being alone. Make sure they have someone to call if they get scared and leave them a list of do's and don'ts. The age to let children come home alone during the day is 8 yo

You could call DCF and ask.. but I didn't see anything on their website. They are the ones you have to worry about..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM

483 posts, read 1,539,891 times
I've had babysitters as young as 13.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 AM

i called miami-dade police dep. yesterday, they dont have a defined minimum age, is totally discretionary, up to the parents…

but if a neighbor calls the police to “report” some kids being alone in your house, the cops will show up and check and talk to the kids to make sure they are Ok, imagine, kids playing guitar hero at 11 pm, cops knocking at the door with the patrol and flashing colorful lights… they would get scared…

now, in the event of something bad happening while the kids are home alone, something external like a burglary, someone trying to break-in and the kids call the cops, what then?

Are the parents liable? I know that in that case the kids security goes first… and the cops need and they better show up, but not sure about the parents getting in trouble

Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc_javier View Post
i called miami-dade police dep. yesterday, they dont have a defined minimum age, is totally discretionary, up to the parents…

but if a neighbor calls the police to “report” some kids being alone in your house, the cops will show up and check and talk to the kids to make sure they are Ok, imagine, kids playing guitar hero at 11 pm, cops knocking at the door with the patrol and flashing colorful lights… they would get scared…

now, in the event of something bad happening while the kids are home alone, something external like a burglary, someone trying to break-in and the kids call the cops, what then?

Are the parents liable? I know that in that case the kids security goes first… and the cops need and they better show up, but not sure about the parents getting in trouble
What would the parents be liable for? It's not against any sort of law (or even common sense) to leave teens in charge. Teenaged girls have been babysitting for centuries. Who would you hire to watch a teen boy anyway? A teen girl? If you ask me THAT is asking for trouble.......

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 AM

546 posts, read 2,139,851 times
Keep in mind it is also up to the police officer discretion whether or not you will be charged with endangering/neglecting the child. The officer will evaluate the child's age, state of mind, the security of the house, the ability for the child to call the police or call you if there's any need to, etc. The "totality of the circumstances" if you will.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 AM

I know...

you 100% correct, i guess my wife is getting just paranoic because of those nosy ppl that live around us.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,224,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
. Who would you hire to watch a teen boy anyway? A teen girl? If you ask me THAT is asking for trouble.......
I'm sure your kids would appreciate this though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: