U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 AM

68 posts, read 49,140 times
Default Mid-life move to Miami

I have the possibility to relocate to Miami for work and I am struggling with the best areas of Miami to consider living. I am 49 and I have a daughter who is a sophomore in high school and a son in college. I am concerned about schools and safety for my daughter, but at the same time, I want to be in an area that I will enjoy after she leaves home. I will be working near the airport. I am probably looking for something in the 300-500 range. I would love to find an area that offers good restaurants and shops in close proximity. I have thought about Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell and maybe even Weston. I have thought about living in Ft Lauderdale as well, but I am concerned that the commute would kill me. Anyone have some suggestions/comments?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 AM

4,149 posts, read 4,089,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerllo View Post
I have the possibility to relocate to Miami for work and I am struggling with the best areas of Miami to consider living. I am 49 and I have a daughter who is a sophomore in high school and a son in college. I am concerned about schools and safety for my daughter, but at the same time, I want to be in an area that I will enjoy after she leaves home. I will be working near the airport. I am probably looking for something in the 300-500 range. I would love to find an area that offers good restaurants and shops in close proximity. I have thought about Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell and maybe even Weston. I have thought about living in Ft Lauderdale as well, but I am concerned that the commute would kill me. Anyone have some suggestions/comments?
Well I dont know where you are coming from but Miami is not the most recommended place to go to High School. You'll need to avoid Miami Dade Public Schools. If you can afford private, that's the best bet. As far as where to live, well school is a big factor. But w/o that factor, I'd have to say rent someplace really cool for a little while then decide where to buy. Brickell is good, but Miami Beach or the little town on the Island north are also excellent. Mid-Beach or north I'd recommend to keep your daughter out of trouble because Miami is the kinda place girls get in trouble plain and simple. Try Surfside, Normandy Isles, or up near 41st. That's a nice Jewish Community - very low key. That would also be an easy commute to the airport right across the causeway.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to stay east of route 1 - PREFERABLY ON THE ISLAND - or someplace really posh that does NOT route to Miami-Dade Public Schools. If you don't, it will be yet another move to Miami EPIC FAIL.

Perhaps you ought to just wait till the kids are out. Then you can buy a nice little high rise condo anywhere in South Florida.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
r_k

737 posts, read 897,344 times
Hmm, is it correct you want to rent something in the $300-$500 per month range? That will be impossible in any area even remotely respectable.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM

6,323 posts, read 12,256,068 times
I think they meant $300,000 - $500,000 range.

Pinecrest has the best Public High School you will need to see what areas feed into this area. Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay feed into this school for sure, but there are other parts that I remember being surprised by that do feed into its feeder pattern.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM

261 posts, read 178,915 times
pinecrest and palmetto bay - should be on your list to check out, grade a schools, more family orientated, less crime, peaceful and for your price range you should be able to get a 3/4 bed with 2 bathrooms, 15,000 sized garden with a pool..pinecrest is more expensive than palmetto bay, as is coconut grove and coal gables....i have just bought a houe in palmetto and we are v v pleased with our choice....my husband works in doral too - and it takes 40 mins to get to work....

Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM

14,249 posts, read 11,239,520 times
I bet you could find a deal with one of the condo associations for 300-500k. I never was in Miami while I was in high school so I honestly can't help too much with the school systems. The houses in Coconut Grove can be beautiful and are in my opinion the nicest houses in the Miami area (besides the huge Mansions on Miami Beach).

I love the Coconut Grove area with all of the trees, it feels kind of like you're driving through a tropical forest.

Basically anywhere in this general vicinity.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=coconu...89.81,,0,-4.02

Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM

313 posts, read 351,698 times
You may want to consider Miami Springs since you will owrk in Hialeah too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami