Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

419 posts, read 998,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Im just skeptical about any "categories".
Dallas where I live is "sub-tropical". I bet you dont see anyone in shorts around here in mid January. Plus we get tons of snow and ice. Our temps are way different than Orlando which is also "sub-tropical". What Im trying to say its, there has to be more subclimates than the ones specified before. Also, these categories are very simplistic. Hence, Miami, would not be tropical or sub-tropical but some New transitional undefined category.

You are over complicating what tropical means. Dallas is sub-tropical for the reasons you specified, because you have seasons (fall/winter) whereas a true tropical doesn't have Fall/Winter and is warm year round. Dallas in the summer though I can bet you that it has characteristics of that similar to tropical weather (humidity/rain etc.) that's why it's called sub-tropical, because it does have some characteristics of tropical weather but not quite 100%. Miami on the other hand is warm year round and does not have fall/winter like the rest of the country does, those are characteristics of a true tropical climate, and that's what separates tropical vs sub-tropical. Miami isn't in the tropics, but it has tropical climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
That is the most idiotic thing I have read yet, it either IS or it ISNT it can't be "well kinda sorta both". Climate in Miami is EITHER more like Jacksonville (which is sub tropical -which it's not) OR it's more of that seen in other tropical locations, but it can't be "Well, it's a transition so it's kinda sorta inbetween" The facts, the charts, the data shows Miami/South Florida is Tropical climate, it is not in the tropics, we ALL know that.. There is a difference from actually being in tropics to actually having a tropical climate.. I don't know how much simpler it can be explained.
Idiotic? Look up the definition of transition. Why does Miami have to neatly fall into a label that you choose to put?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccent View Post
Not trying to be difficult, bro. I'm just saying that those latitudinal lines are man made and are not absolute, where climate and weather phenomena are concerned. Havana and Miami are very, VERY close in relative proximity to one another. Havana barely rests below the TOC and Miami, barely above it.

I'm from Boston and really couldn't care less. All I know is, to ME, it sure as bleep FEELS tropical! lol! And if you look at the actual definition of tropical, you would see that Miami very much falls into the category, one or two cold snaps aside.

That imaginary line, of which you spoke, is blurred when you're that close to each other.

The same argument you're making against Miami's tropical(?) climate, can be made for Havana's. And IF, for argument's sake, Miami's climate is NOT tropical, will you at least concede, that it's damned close?!

Yes, the lines of latitude are man made, so are the arameters of what tropical is. All along I have said Miami is similar to Havana, Cancun, which are tropical. It is just as similar to Tampa and Orlando though, which are not tropical.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You make points but in all respect you are wrong or just do not understand what we the "tropical" group is saying.

Climate classification does not have the class of "transitional zone" It is either a tropical climate or not. If we do the MATH , again if we do that math the math comes out to making Miami a tropical climate. We are only talking about climate, not what it looks like, not what it feels like, not what plants grow here, not what the water looks like, not what music is played here just whether the average temp and rain fall is. That is all we care about temp and rain fall. The temp and rain fall make Miami a tropical climate. There is no "in between" climate. That is what we are talking about. I understand what you are saying, Miami is certainly not "as tropical" as other tropical climate locations but the simple math and science says it is.
There is no "in-between" climate that is what we are saying. Miami is tropical according to the most widely used climate classifcation systems. You are saying its science, I am trying to show that the science says Miami is tropical. It is a simple math which I did myself a few years ago.

Of course there are different climate classfications, I am going by the ones I prefer and the ones I used the most while studying geography in college. We agree on most things so agree to disagree.

Having trouble with the keyboard there?
I just disagree, it isn't that I am wrong. Why attack me?

You are right, Miami is one or the other, and it is subtropical. But that is a boxed in, forced definition. It is a mix of both since it is right on the line which separates both. Arguments can be made on either side, but with you math examples, lows in the 20s and 30s do not allow Miami to be tropical. Being noth of the TOC does not allow Miami to be tropical. So those are the defining parameters. I chose not to say Miami is subtropical because that doesn't portray an accurate picture, but if I have to choose a camp, that is the one.

I believe you are from DC, so I get why you think Miami is tropical. But someone as knowledgeable as you from a tropical place south of here, would understand the other point of view and see why Miami is NOT tropical. But why do you care so much what I think about this???

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM

I love how some people just SWEAR that it is Sub-tropical, but yet can never seem to post any data supporting it..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I just disagree, it isn't that I am wrong. Why attack me?

You are right, Miami is one or the other, and it is subtropical. But that is a boxed in, forced definition. It is a mix of both since it is right on the line which separates both. Arguments can be made on either side, but with you math examples, lows in the 20s and 30s do not allow Miami to be tropical. Being noth of the TOC does not allow Miami to be tropical. So those are the defining parameters. I chose not to say Miami is subtropical because that doesn't portray an accurate picture, but if I have to choose a camp, that is the one.

I believe you are from DC, so I get why you think Miami is tropical. But someone as knowledgeable as you from a tropical place south of here, would understand the other point of view and see why Miami is NOT tropical. But why do you care so much what I think about this???
I am from Miami, I was in between Miami and DC for four years. I know the difference, DC is sub-tropical, humid warm summers, cold/cool winters. Jacksonville is sub-tropical Miami is not what Jacksonville and DC are. If you are chosing personally to not follow the climate classfication system that is fine, that is your choice. But it is just wrong to say science says Miami is not tropical. The average temps and rain fall per month never fall below a certain point. Lets remember Miami has the gulfstream current right on its shores helping it out. Physical location does not define climate.

But at least you are making some good points unlike the "other guy". I see your point. If you don't follow the classfication system personally then yes you could consider Miami some transition zone.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
A couple of cold spells days per year does not equate Miami to being sub tropical. For the person who compared Miami climate to Orlando and classified both as sub tropical is ridiculous. Not that Miami is the ideal tropical climate, but it just barely fits the criteria. Miami can grow plants that a typical subtropical city cannot (ex: coconut palms). On the flip side, there are subtropical plants that don't look healthy in Miami (ex: magnolias).

Now, for those saying Miami is subtropical: What does the word subtropical mean to you? I don't think a couple of cold spells a year should make a city subtropical.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
For those folks who claim that Miami doesn't have a tropical climate because....
  1. It's not within the tropical zone itself
  2. There can be a few cool days in the Winter
...consider that it can snow within the actual Tropics. The reality is that weather does not function based on a man made "line in the sand". Weather is influenced by a variety of geographic criteria including mountain heights, ocean currents, etc.

It's also important to understand that the weather zones themselves are created and mapped by mankind based on agreed upon criteria. Miami and much of South Florida falls within that criteria.

Now, that all said, we all perceive weather relative to our own experiences. For example, I hear people in NC complain about Summer humidity but, for me, it's nothing compared to the humidity that I experience in the Summer in Miami.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM

525 posts, read 761,250 times
The Tropic of Cancer is a REAL AREA on eart where the CURVE IS DIFFERENT. Look at picture of the planet from the side. You will SEE the steep curve on that area. It is NOT man made. It is NOT like the Mason Dixon line!

We named it a certain thing and draw a line but the AREA on the Tropic of Cancer is DIFFERENT curvature wise. Which is part of the reason for intense sun along with tilt.

Furthermore ALL areas in elevation get cold. This observation however does NOT make Miami tropical. Miami is SUBTROPICAL meaning IMMEDIATELY north of Tropic of Cancer.

Miami on south are the ONLY SUBTROPICAL places in the Unites States ( as well as South Texas 26 N

CURVE OF THE EARTH at the Tropic of Cancer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newtoearth/2511727698/

Florida Cuba from space - CURVE of earth- Tropic of Cancer - STEEP

http://www.desktopmedia.eu/templates/minimal/timthumbnew.php?src=data/media/14/Florida_Space.jpg&a=c&h=445&w=1089&zc=1&

People are LAZY. The sources - MANY OF THEM- are available on Google

MIAMI IS SUBTROPICAL.

Last edited by RickSantos; 05-01-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once Again, South Florida/MIA not highlighted (when zoomed in)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami