U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM

203 posts, read 252,389 times

Advertisements

There was a small community of Koreans in the downtown area, at a short walking distance of MDCC Wolfson there were several Korean restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM

6,415 posts, read 2,860,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromGA_mom73 View Post
mt971x Yes, I know I sound like it. It really doesn't matter what I go through. In Atlanta, I go to Korean hairsalon where my hairstylist doesn't speak English. I go to a nailsalon where they don't speak English. It is fine. I speak Japanese in my house. What I worry about is because of dominant % of one language users, I was just worried that my daughter would have hard time to make friends. Kids here with foreign parents (we have Indian, Korean, Chinese and Mexican friends) speak their own languages within family but they speak English to outside friends. I was worndering if it is the same, or a little different (as I see some school websites, many top ranked magnet schools emphasize Spanish curriculum.. It looked as if we won't be welcomed) So it is not how I feel about Hispanic Culture. It is about how it will be like to an already minority girl in US. Well, thank you for your opinion. My daughter is rather shy and quiet. I will think all over it again.
I recommend that you find a place in the Cooper City/Davie area, where there is more of a mix of ethnicities. Miami-Dade is Hispanic saturated and while all kids will speak English, there will be a huge cultural gap between your child and her Hispanic classmates.

If you must stay in Dade, the Palmetto Sr. High feeder pattern is your best bet.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 AM

203 posts, read 252,389 times
Davie, mainly West Davie, is famous for their KKK chapters staffed by rednecks and uncouth bluecollars expelled from Dade. They have been trying to gentrify the area during the last 40 years, but there are trailer parks and areas that are not safe not even for white people. There are also illegals from Central America. The area is either too posh or too poor and depressing.

They have a large wooden cross (I don't know if it's still there) at one intersection that represents the Klan. Local police, I don't know now, loves to harass non-rednecks or people with a Dade plate (this might have changed).

The cultural gap between Hispanic middle class kids in Dade and your kids is far narrower that kids in the aforementioned areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami