Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times

Advertisements

I like it, but it seems it is really along socioeconomic lines here more so than other places. A person living pretty nice here seem to be insulated from the day to day BS that happens here from the lower socioeconomic scale types, heck, housing prices are driven by people trying to escape areas the numerous low class areas around here.

I think people develop a lot of frustration being here if they do not have a decent income, and it just explodes on a forum like this. Each has their reason, and most are true from their experience. People come here with some grand plan to "start over"; or they get a job then laid off and cannot find one here; they take a job here then realize those low price rents are in some of the worst areas in the US; find out Miami is not like in the movies or how they envisioned it; or Miami just does not fit them.

But yea, I do feel many people love sugar coating things more so than people I have encountered in Miami. It is amazing some of the things people sugar coat, or the good ole "it is the same everywhere" excuse. It reminds me of a form of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,865,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I like it, but it seems it is really along socioeconomic lines here more so than other places. A person living pretty nice here seem to be insulated from the day to day BS that happens here from the lower socioeconomic scale types, heck, housing prices are driven by people trying to escape areas the numerous low class areas around here.

I think people develop a lot of frustration being here if they do not have a decent income, and it just explodes on a forum like this. Each has their reason, and most are true from their experience. People come here with some grand plan to "start over"; or they get a job then laid off and cannot find one here; they take a job here then realize those low price rents are in some of the worst areas in the US; find out Miami is not like in the movies or how they envisioned it; or Miami just does not fit them.

But yea, I do feel many people love sugar coating things more so than people I have encountered in Miami. It is amazing some of the things people sugar coat, or the good ole "it is the same everywhere" excuse. It reminds me of a form of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
Nice perspective. You can go into any city vs city thread that features Miami, and not alot of people will defend it the way people from other cities defend theirs. But then again, this is just a forum. South Floridians are REAL about theirs.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,169,885 times
I'm indifferent to Miami. Actually Miami is just a state of mind... I can easily erase it from my head and moods.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 AM

798 posts, read 1,455,318 times
You can't erase something from your mind, just archive it...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
You can't erase something from your mind, just archive it...
Pfffffffft... file shredding

Miami never happened.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Actually, I think it's true... the brain can archive things even if you can't remember them...right?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,472 times
I currently live in chicago and don't like it. I feel like i would really enjoy life in miami. I understand there are 'problems' just like anywhere else, but what are some problems of miami? a list would be great.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_in_miami View Post
I currently live in chicago and don't like it. I feel like i would really enjoy life in miami. I understand there are 'problems' just like anywhere else, but what are some problems of miami? a list would be great.
The problems with Miami are basically the same as Chicago but on a smaller scale and with better weather.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,807,650 times
No to the OP. Folks here who are the complainers/whinners tend to be from outside the city and apparently came from Paradise to Hell. I think there is something wrong with them and the found similar tortured souls on C-D to vent. Misery loves company. Funny that folks who have left have been so traumatized by their time here that they still continue to haunt this sub-forum and pontificate as if they had lived here all their lives.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,865,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No to the OP. Folks here who are the complainers/whinners tend to be from outside the city and apparently came from Paradise to Hell. I think there is something wrong with them and the found similar tortured souls on C-D to vent. Misery loves company. Funny that folks who have left have been so traumatized by their time here that they still continue to haunt this sub-forum and pontificate as if they had lived here all their lives.
Great point. I do see alot of that. Leaving the city, and spending time on the forum tearing down the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami