Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,016,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginabox View Post
Give the cops the tools they need to defend themselves (and us) against psycho-criminals like LaBeet, who manage to get access to dangerous firearms such as an AK-47.
As opposed to what other type of firearm?

Quote:
In an ideal world, no one would have guns, but this isn't an ideal world and you have to make sure that the line of defense is better equipped than the enemy, at all times. At the end of the day, who would you rather had the better weapons; the police or the criminals?
The citizens. Who else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:54 PM

87 posts, read 269,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
As opposed to what other type of firearm?

The citizens. Who else?
When it comes to blasting shots at a pretend target at a gun club, sure...I'm all for it.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 PM

564 posts, read 1,897,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No we most definitely are not. An M-16 select fire rifle is an assault rifle. An AR-14 semiautomatic rifle is not an assault rifle. It must be select fire with fully automatic capability in order to be an assault rifle. As you know, it has been illegal for a civilian to own such a rifle for over 70 years, unless a person possesses a special license.
Maybe you should write a strongly worded e-mail to those websites for misinformation then. No mention of a weapon needing to be fully automatic to be called an assault rifle. In fact, they both clearly state fully automatic OR semi automatic.

It's all semantics anyway, but you started this nonsense.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Maybe you should write a strongly worded e-mail to those websites for misinformation then. No mention of a weapon needing to be fully automatic to be called an assault rifle. In fact, they both clearly state fully automatic OR semi automatic.

It's all semantics anyway, but you started this nonsense.
Obviously, those websites are wrong. But if you actually bother to do the research you will learn the truth.

It's not semantics at all. It's important definitions.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginabox View Post
When it comes to blasting shots at a pretend target at a gun club, sure...I'm all for it.
?
You don't think citizens should protect themselves and their loved ones?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM

385 posts, read 1,889,081 times
thank you all for the feedback but i suppose i have been misunderstood and my writing may have led to that. my argument mainly rests on the idea that we are trying to fight fire with fire here, instead of just trying to take precautions to prevent the fire. no matter what the black market to an extent will always have the upper hand - it's the element of surprise. in the back of every cops head there is the possibility the man is armed - but do they really know? they hope not. no matter what gun you hold it only takes one shot to a vital spot to kill or permanently disable someone, so what's the use?

i simply feel manny diaz is simply circling around the problem dwindling his fingers instead of trying to stop the real problem: the rise of poverty and crime in miami-dade and south florida. i don't know of one place that's poor and safe; they just do not mix.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,538,788 times
^ blacklight first of all Manny Diaz is only the Mayor of the city of Miami not Miami Dade County ( that is Mayor Carlos Alvarez who used to be the head of Miami Dade Police).

As for this particular crime where a officer died it is obvious this guy didn't care about shooting a cop. People always want to blame crime on poverty but I knew a lot of poor people in Miami who were law abiding citizens. It's the lack of respect for human life & authority that got this guy in trouble. Who in their right mind would shoot at a cop? I seriously don't think if the cops also had AK 47s they would have stopped this lunatic.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 AM

942 posts, read 2,580,375 times
Guns and the second amendment has always been a touchy subject becuase I do not believe our forefathers were looking into todays criminal when it was written or else there would have been some kind of clause.

I do believe that things are getting worse and I think it has alot to do with the economy and things will only get worse. Since our elected officials do not pass appropriate laws to protect honest citizens and allow criminals from getting these types of assualt guns/rifles, etc. Than we should allow the people that take an oath to serve and protect (police officers) to carry the same kind of fire power that these criminals have. Untill something is done that minimizes these criminals from having these types of "guns", these officers have to protect themselves.

Please note that one of the officers that was shot last week in Miami lost 80% of her chin bone. These types of injuries are only seen in war. Since these criminals have declared war officers need to protect themselves. Also just yesterday three subject went into a Winn Dixie (caught on video) to stick it up. Guess what "guns" they had on them?? AK47.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,023,843 times
I am all for police being able to carry automatic weapons. I am not sure how it is today but when I was in Germany in the late 70's the police had automatic weapons and they got respect. I own many different guns and shoot at ranges often. I have an AK47 and believe me even my largest pistol is no match for an AK47.
If you want to control the low lifes of society you need to be meaner than they are. But in this politicaly correct country we live in people think if we take away guns crime will stop. Ask anyone in the UK how good that is working.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,293,835 times
You know, the cops do have shotguns already. If I was a cop and going up against a Labeet, who was wearing body armor, I would prefer a shotgun over an assault rifle. You aren't going to stop him with a body shot but a shotgun spreads out. A face full of buckshot will stop anybody cold. It's much harder to make a face shot with a single bullet from an assault rifle --and you can forget about hitting a precise target with automatic fire; that's just in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami