U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM

28 posts, read 26,335 times

Advertisements

My DH has a possible great job opportunity in South Beach but we don't want to live there. We have 3 small kids, a 5yo and twin 3yo, so good schools, safe, clean areas are a must. What areas should we look at? He doesn't mind a bit of a commute but nothing more than 35/40 minutes. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 7,197,706 times
We need more details such as how much do you want to spend, are you renting or buying, how many bedrooms & baths, condo or single family home, do you have pets?, etc.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM

We will need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths (could live with 1). We'll be renting for at least a year and would prefer a house but a larger apartment would be ok. Is wanting something under $1500 totally unrealistic? We do have a lab mix that will come with us.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM

309 posts, read 304,761 times
Check into Surfside - still on Miami Beach, about 9 miles north of SoBe, (it goes from about 87th-96th Sts.) - lots of very nice single family homes there.

North Beach could also work (just south of Surfside - from about 71st-87th Sts.); although NoBe tends to be more apartment buildings than single family homes.

there's also an elementary school right at 87th and Byron; 'Mater Beach Academy'. No idea if it's a "good" one, but there are a lot of families in the area.

Mater Beach Academy

Even further north up the coast, is Sunny Isles -- (about 17 miles from SoBe); that area tends to be a little bit more pricey with fancier homes, but it's a beautiful, quiet area.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Thanks for responding. What about the Homestead area? Good/bad? Commute? I don't know the area at all so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 AM

249 posts, read 383,122 times
Your money will get you much more in Homestead than Miami but you have to be careful of where you rent. Some parts of Homestead are not so desierable. That being said I lived there for a year and liked it. I rented in Mandarin Lakes for $1200 a month. 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage. Hard to get that price though. Most likely $1500 to $1700 as I got a good deal. Always have options and negotiate.

The commute however will be a pain...

I would pay more for less of a commute or sacrifice location

Cant help with the kids since I dont have any but have heard thats a tough one in most places.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM

313 posts, read 381,726 times
Try Miami Springs, Biscayne Park or Miami Shores. Homestead is very far +1 hour commute. I live with my family in Biscayne Park and it's a small town with a small town feel. Everyone knows their neighbors and we have decent size houses for a decent price. Biscayne Park is about 20-30 minute commute during rush hour. Non rush hour is 10-15 minutes.

Good luck

Joe

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. The issue I am running into are the low rated public schools. This is a huge issue for us since we simply can't afford private school. What about the Cutler Bay area? My DH would be driving off rush hour...around how ling is that drive.

We are moving from Delaware and this is all new to me. Our plan was to move to Sarasota but the jobs aren't great there but we found great schools and places to live. An amazing job came up in South Beach that DH is super excited about but the cost of living is huge and the schools are poor. I want to make this happen for him so any other ideaas?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 942 times
Hi mbb28,

While this was posted a while back, I'm curious to know what you decided on since I am now in a VERY similar situation. Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami