U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM

367 posts, read 694,341 times

Advertisements

There are tons of Cuban politicians in Miami, yet they never let their Black countrymen in that arena. The Black Cubans I've met in Miami live in traditional Black neighborhoods like Carol City and Liberty City. However I am now seeing more in Hialeah. Is there any spot in Miami where Black Cubans congregate? I know things were bad between the "races" back in Cuba...and with the US history of segregation it is continued here without a doubt. I've read about the "silent" Black Cuban community. What's the deal with the white, mixed and Black Cubans in Miami? Do they even socialize with each other or are completely separate? I know plenty of white Cubans and never have I seen them with a Black Cuban friend or even mention interaction with Black Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM

313 posts, read 595,741 times
I've lived here since the early 70's and have met very few black Cubans. I imagine that once the foreign born kids interact with other American kids they tend to imitate them and hang out with them. So maybe young black Cubans relate more to young black Americans. I know the Haitians act more like Americans than their Haitian parents.

Good luck,

Joe

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM

158 posts, read 248,143 times
I grew up in Miami and I have to say I didn't meet very many Black Cubans either. Many Black Cubans went to the New York metro area instead of Miami, especially pre-Mariel. The ones that stayed in Miami usually lived in the more Black neighborhoods along with Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. White Cubans would settle in Anglo neighborhoods for the most part (SW Miami, Hialeah). As you said, most of the Black Cubans I've seen have been in Carol City (West Carol City has been very Cuban/Hispanic for a while now), also West Little River east of Hialeah.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:23 AM

367 posts, read 694,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
I grew up in Miami and I have to say I didn't meet very many Black Cubans either. Many Black Cubans went to the New York metro area instead of Miami, especially pre-Mariel. The ones that stayed in Miami usually lived in the more Black neighborhoods along with Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. White Cubans would settle in Anglo neighborhoods for the most part (SW Miami, Hialeah). As you said, most of the Black Cubans I've seen have been in Carol City (West Carol City has been very Cuban/Hispanic for a while now), also West Little River east of Hialeah.
Yeah I grew up in the west Carol City/NW DADE unincorporated area. I met Black Cuban Americans who I just confused for traditional Black Americans because of their style. Sometimes in Carol City I see Black guys riding 'donks' with big rims and gold teeth with a Cuban flag on their car, lol. Carol City and Miami Gardens is very Black diverse. I come from Black Colombians and I know some other Black Colombians who live there, along with Black Panamanians, Black Nicas and Black Costa Ricans.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

389 posts, read 859,752 times
Another thing to note is that there are a lot of Black Cubans still in Cuba. Maybe that is the case.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM

5,394 posts, read 6,059,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Another thing to note is that there are a lot of Black Cubans still in Cuba. Maybe that is the case.
They're the majority in Cuba.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

103 posts, read 172,109 times
^ I was just going to say that.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of African-Cubans I have encountered in Miami, Yet whenever I see pictures of Cuba, it seems like the majority is African. I could be wrong, I've never been there. Just going by what I've seen in pictures.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 7,902,635 times
Every time I see pics of Cuba I only see black people. Maybe all the whites are here already. hehehe

Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 AM

355 posts, read 973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Every time I see pics of Cuba I only see black people. Maybe all the whites are here already. hehehe

After the Special Period (when the USSR collapsed around 91-92) blacks from the east moved massively to Havana. Since most Cuban pics are taken in Habana Vieja, Centro Habana (where blacks make a living peddling cigars and asking money to tourists)....the result is that the country looks like a stage for a Tarzan movie. There are also many pics from the Carnival of Santiago, an entirely African phenomena.

But some sections of Havana are segregated, no blacks allowed after a certain hour of the night (similar to "sundown" cities). If the police (mostly blacks) sees any black hanging around, he's questioned and paper are asked (most blacks in Havana are "illegal immigrants" from other provinces and have a similar status than illegal Mexicans in the US).

The countryside is almost entirely white and there are regions that are entirely white, just like the third city. I'd say that whites are one third of the country, the rest are different mixes. Probably whites were a majority before 1959, I'm not certain. Communist did everything possible to expel whites and promote a Malthusian growth of blacks until Soviet funds were cut. Now, blacks are in disfavour because according to Communist authorities "Cuban blacks mimmick American blacks and are ideological traitors".

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 05-17-2012 at 03:17 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM

355 posts, read 973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
There are tons of Cuban politicians in Miami, yet they never let their Black countrymen in that arena. The Black Cubans I've met in Miami live in traditional Black neighborhoods like Carol City and Liberty City. However I am now seeing more in Hialeah. Is there any spot in Miami where Black Cubans congregate? I know things were bad between the "races" back in Cuba...and with the US history of segregation it is continued here without a doubt. I've read about the "silent" Black Cuban community. What's the deal with the white, mixed and Black Cubans in Miami? Do they even socialize with each other or are completely separate? I know plenty of white Cubans and never have I seen them with a Black Cuban friend or even mention interaction with Black Cubans.

Black Cubans in Miami before Mariel lived among the rest of Cubans and were part of the same social class affected by communism (worms). There were doctors, dentists, professional musicians, landed owners, politicians, business owners, santeros, etc. Some lived in Coral Gables, some in the SW area, some in Hialeah.

After Mariel, many (not all the people) that arrived were different, there were many blacks and mulattoes and many went to NY. As to Black Cubans living in Liberty City, it might be possible but hard to believe. I don't see any similarity.

I have met many black Cuban-Americans visiting Cuba and they were all from Hialeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or