U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

313 posts, read 632,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Yeah, I think 30 min. commute would be best, doggiebus. How about living in the area near Miami Shores, El Portal, Biscaine Park?

Is East of Hialeah awful? I have read that housing is a little more affordable.

Thanks for your help!
I live in Biscayne park which is near Miami Shores. Both Villages are very nice and have strong police force. However its surrounded by North Miami and some other ghetto type cities. If you are a white family your children may be the only ones at their public schools. Most residents in Miami Shores and Biscayne Park send their children to charter schools or private schools which are not far away but very expensive. You may be able to find a 3 bedroom house for about $2000 here.

Miami has a high cost of living so expect to pay more than you are used to.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM

92 posts, read 179,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Yeah, I think 30 min. commute would be best
Unfortunately, you will sacrifice housing costs and/or schools for a decent commute. Even folks with a lot of disposable income have lousy commutes because they want to live in a great neighborhood with good schools.

Quote:
Is East of Hialeah awful? I have read that housing is a little more affordable.
When I think "east of Hialeah" I think Opa Locka. That area is one of the worst in Miami so stay away. Everything is going to be cheaper the further west (and/or deep south) you go in the county.

Given your priorities (safety, schools), I would just resign yourself to a lousy commute. I've done it myself - I commute over an hour just to give my kids the quality of life I want them to have. It's not fun but such is life in Miami.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,816,082 times
^^^I agree the best thing is to do the commute. I wouldn't suggest living in East Hialeah. Cutler Bay might be another option for the OP to look into. It's a little closer.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,327,946 times
I don't see that budget working for Kendall. My son pays 1300 a month for a 2/2 apartment. It's nothing special. Maybe Cutler Bay or Homestead would be doable but then how would the public schools be? I would see if you can take from somewhere else in your budget and add to the housing budget.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I don't see that budget working for Kendall. My son pays 1300 a month for a 2/2 apartment. It's nothing special. Maybe Cutler Bay or Homestead would be doable but then how would the public schools be? I would see if you can take from somewhere else in your budget and add to the housing budget.
That would be at least a 2 hour commute.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I agree the best thing is to do the commute. I wouldn't suggest living in East Hialeah. Cutler Bay might be another option for the OP to look into. It's a little closer.
I think Doggiebus' suggestion of Cutler Bay is a good one. Yes, the commute will be long. I don't think it would take 2 hours but it will definitely at least one hour. Do you have flexibility to head into work early and/or late (i.e. avoiding the crunch time between 7:30 and 9:00)? That would help shave off some of your drive time.

If you do look in Cutler Bay, look at the newer developments off of 87th avenue that have been hit by foreclosures. A rental home will be out of your price range but Isles at Bayshore has a large townhouse community, including some that are 4 bedrooms. You might find something in your budget there.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcentraluk View Post
I think Doggiebus' suggestion of Cutler Bay is a good one. Yes, the commute will be long. I don't think it would take 2 hours but it will definitely at least one hour. Do you have flexibility to head into work early and/or late (i.e. avoiding the crunch time between 7:30 and 9:00)? That would help shave off some of your drive time.

If you do look in Cutler Bay, look at the newer developments off of 87th avenue that have been hit by foreclosures. A rental home will be out of your price range but Isles at Bayshore has a large townhouse community, including some that are 4 bedrooms. You might find something in your budget there.
I find it so ironic that there are developments called "isles at Bayshore" no where near the bay.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM

14,127 posts, read 20,903,828 times
I agree. You're only option for housing at that price is in Cutler Bay. Or up your housing expenses..

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
I find it so ironic that there are developments called "isles at Bayshore" no where near the bay.
Technically it is very close to the bay, you just can't see it because you have mangroves in the way. Saga Bay and Cutler Cay are even closer but they have the same issues with the view.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM

38 posts, read 60,759 times
Well 700-1200 certainly will not get you too much in Miami!
For that budget I would suggest living in west Kendall, specifically in "The Hammocks" or "The Crossings". You can get the kids to sleep on a bunk bed which will conserve space. You can also get ideas on how to conserve space at ikea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or