U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,016,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Do you mean that in a general way, in terms of safety/family-friendly environment/school system? So, is the south part better than the north/NE/NW in those categories?
For the most part. There are a few good areas north and west but they're small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM

47 posts, read 91,931 times
My new search resulted in the following findings (based on the $1500 budget):

#1. 8045 SW 107th Ave. Miami FL

#2. 2188 NE 167 St North Miami Beach, FL

#3. 2143 NW 13 CT Miami Gardens, FL

What insightful information can you provide regarding the schools in those areas, as well as family-friendliness and safety? My wife and I like to go for runs early in the AM and we wouldn't like to be jumped at?

Last edited by sunshinejoe; 06-01-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 AM

15 posts, read 21,177 times
Quote:
My new search resulted in the following findings (based on the $1500 budget):

#1. 8045 SW 107th Ave. Miami FL

#2. 2188 NE 167 St North Miami Beach, FL

#3. 2143 NW 13 CT Miami Gardens, FL

What insightful information can you provide regarding the schools in those areas, as well as family-friendliness and safety? My wife and I like to go for runs early in the AM and we wouldn't like to be jumped at?
#1 would undoubtedly be the safest out of the three. I went to Sunset Park Elementary, which is the elementary you would be zoned to, and it's a solid A school with pretty good teachers and good kids. Your kids would go to Glades for middle school which is also a fine A school. The high school is Killian which is fine as long as your kids hang with the right crowd. It's a safe area and a lot of families live around there in those complexes. Indian Hammocks Park is also right across the street and would be a good place to run in the mornings as running down 107 wouldn't be all that great (a lot of traffic). Also a good place for the kids to go play. There are also a lot of amenities that are easily accessible, like a Publix, CVS, food joints and such. Also a movie theater a couple mintues drive down Kendall to the west, Dadeland five minutes drive to the east, and easy access to the expressways. I'm not that familiar with the other two, but I can tell you that #1 is where you are guaranteed to be safe and attending good schools from K-12

Last edited by Tadster91; 06-02-2012 at 02:26 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 02:37 AM

15 posts, read 21,177 times
^And commute wise, it won't be short, but if you leave at the right time, it could be like 45 minutes. We live near Kendall/97th Ave. (so like 10 blocks from #1) and my mom works in Coconut Grove, and if she leaves before 7:30 she can drop my sister off at school and make it there in that time solely on city streets. But if she leaves at 7:30 or 7:35, all the traffic from out west and south makes it up here and it adds like another 15 minutes. But it's a small sacrifice to pay, because you won't find anything more convenient that is also as safe and has as good of schools on your budget.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 AM

38 posts, read 60,740 times
#3 is in a very bad area so cross that off the list.
The other two appear to be in pretty good areas.
For a commute estimate, we always drive from The Crossing back to Miami Beach in exactly 30 minutes, so for Key Biscayne I'd estimate about 35-45 minutes based on traffic.
North Miami Beach is nothing special in my opinion, but it appears to be safe on most streets, you still have some shady streets though.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 AM

6,967 posts, read 5,423,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadster91 View Post
#1 would undoubtedly be the safest out of the three. I went to Sunset Park Elementary, which is the elementary you would be zoned to, and it's a solid A school with pretty good teachers and good kids. Your kids would go to Glades for middle school which is also a fine A school. The high school is Killian which is fine as long as your kids hang with the right crowd. It's a safe area and a lot of families live around there in those complexes. Indian Hammocks Park is also right across the street and would be a good place to run in the mornings as running down 107 wouldn't be all that great (a lot of traffic). Also a good place for the kids to go play. There are also a lot of amenities that are easily accessible, like a Publix, CVS, food joints and such. Also a movie theater a couple mintues drive down Kendall to the west, Dadeland five minutes drive to the east, and easy access to the expressways. I'm not that familiar with the other two, but I can tell you that #1 is where you are guaranteed to be safe and attending good schools from K-12
I agree with this post. The two north Dade addresses are in decent parts of their particular cities, but the schools will reflect the not so nice areas that make up large portions of those cities.

You do realize that all three are apartments?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,327,034 times
I would also pick number 1. I lived between Sunset and Kendall on 107th. Never had a problem. Traffic is heavy in the area at almost all times. Kendall and 107th and Sunset and 107th are two intersections that are always making the most dangerous intersections lists. We could've been killed when a dump truck ran a red light and smashed into our car. Luckily we were in a '73 Camaro that was built like a tank so we escaped with minor injuries. Just be careful and always assume that people will run the red light. I guess that's good advice anywhere in Miami! Btw, we had just moved from the PNW and had only been here for about a month so we weren't used to the driving "methods" here.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 PM

47 posts, read 91,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I agree with this post. The two north Dade addresses are in decent parts of their particular cities, but the schools will reflect the not so nice areas that make up large portions of those cities.

You do realize that all three are apartments?
Where would you recommend to go in order to rent a house? I have been to Craigslist and all I find is deceiving listings wanting you to pay a fee to view their listings or stupid things like that. I tried apartments.com but of course, all they have are apartments.

I really love everything I keep on hearing about the area where #1 is located (yeah, it is not a house or town home). I was starting to like the idea of being near #2 (closest to the beach and to DW to take the fam). How are the schools near #2?

Thanks guys! You all are live savers!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 AM

986 posts, read 3,461,610 times
Quote:
Where would you recommend to go in order to rent a house? I have been to Craigslist and all I find is deceiving listings wanting you to pay a fee to view their listings or stupid things like that. I tried apartments.com but of course, all they have are apartments.

I really love everything I keep on hearing about the area where #1 is located (yeah, it is not a house or town home). I was starting to like the idea of being near #2 (closest to the beach and to DW to take the fam). How are the schools near #2?

Thanks guys! You all are live savers!
Try Realtor . com, there's always lots of rentals there, both cheap and expensive. HotPads is also a good site, it shows rentals from lots of sources together.

Regarding #1 and #2; #2 I personally really wouldn't recommend it, it's not east of US-1 (which is where the actually good part of NMB is - there are a few buildings there - you can check if there's some available, it's not expensive, probably in or near your price range), although it is near it and probably liveable, but the schools probably won't be good at all, at least the High and Middle schools. #1 is definitely better in most aspects (schools are fairly reasonable/Okay there, that I do know), it's a reasonable area in Kendall, not far from Dadeland and the US-1 corridor.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,016,973 times
Quote:
Hello people,

I will be moving to Miami in about 6 weeks from the Pacific Northwest. I think I will be driving so far, unless my truck gets sold before hand.

I will be working in Zip Code 33149. Ideally, I would not like to drive for more than 30 minutes to the work location - yeah, I have heard traffic can get awful at times. We are a family of 5, so we think we will need to rent a 3BR/2Bath house/apartment until we get to know the area pretty well and start looking for a house to buy.

Our budget is tight for the moment. We are budgeting between $800 to $1200 for the rental. School is very important for the us/kids, therefore, if we could be near a public one with a good rating, it will be wonderful.

I have heard there are very bad areas in Miami, and we are trying to avoid those because our kids' ages (6 through 14). We are very frugal people (I guess you have to be when money is tight, right?!), and my wife and I speak Spanish (kids are still learning)

I have been told to look in the areas such as: The Road, Coconut Grove and North of 8th St. (wherever those may be). I am wondering if anyone here would have any insightful information as for where a family with young children in a budget could move to (that is not the ghetto).

Thanks and I truly appreciate your input!
sunshinejoe
I know it's none of my business, but I have to ask. Where do you live in the Pacific Northwest? An inner city or a rural area? Are you moving for a better job or for the weather/adventure? Do you have family in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or