U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,812,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy1 View Post
That's Wrong though. Miami ranks 21 in violent crime rate based on FBI 2012 preliminary data. In 2012, Miami had a violent crime rate of about 1172 per 100,000.
Provide a link then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM

169 posts, read 247,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Miami was in much worse shape from the 70's through the 90's. The inner city was much more dangerous and abandoned. Overtown, Edgewater, Wynwood, Allapatah, Little Haiti and Liberty City were a different world. They were much more populated and looked more like Camden, NJ. Crime peaked in the 80's and there were race riots scattered through the decades.

What has happened in the last 30 years is Reaganomics kicked in. The richer are getting much wealthier, we're entering another gilded age if things don't change.

Me personally I agree with you, back in the 90's and when I was still younger I remember us being a lot more poorer and more projects around.

The reason I bolded the man's statement is cuz all the people older than my generation always talk about how bad overtown look and how bad the city got. They actually grew up in the neighborhoods, so while outsiders think it got better, they say it got badder.

Other than that I know about everything that took place in my neighborhoods. So you prolly meant the other stuff for other purple.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 PM

249 posts, read 312,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Me personally I agree with you, back in the 90's and when I was still younger I remember us being a lot more poorer and more projects around.

The reason I bolded the man's statement is cuz all the people older than my generation always talk about how bad overtown look and how bad the city got. They actually grew up in the neighborhoods, so while outsiders think it got better, they say it got badder.

Other than that I know about everything that took place in my neighborhoods. So you prolly meant the other stuff for other purple.
If its old people youre talking about, theyre right. Overtown looked very nice in the 50s. I even watched a documentary on Liberty City and apparantly some old guy moved there from Georgia and said Liberty City became a bad neighborhood in the 60s

Overtown, Miami, 1956 - YouTube
^ Overtown 1956... Thats a beautiful, clean, vibrant neighborhood complete with businesses and nice family homes.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,815,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Provide a link then.
It could be true. In 2011, Miami had a violent crime rate of 11.95. But according to the FDLE site, crime in general (well, in Florida) has dropped.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,815,326 times
Also, I definitely wouldn't say Miami (or any US city) is the most criminal city in the world. There are people getting their heads cut off in Mexico and I don't even want to know what happens in the other countries and cities that don't get media attention.

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 09-18-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 19,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Provide a link then.

Change of Subject: Wrongly accused --You wouldn

If you want to do the calculation for yourself, go to the 2012 FBI uniform crime report. See it's better knowing what you re talking about rather than talking without knowing.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
If its old people youre talking about, theyre right. Overtown looked very nice in the 50s. I even watched a documentary on Liberty City and apparantly some old guy moved there from Georgia and said Liberty City became a bad neighborhood in the 60s

Overtown, Miami, 1956 - YouTube
^ Overtown 1956... Thats a beautiful, clean, vibrant neighborhood complete with businesses and nice family homes.
Why yall keep tryna give me lessons on my neighborhoods.

Things got bad overtown in the 60's cuz white destroyed everybody home to build the highway bcuz they didn't like passing thru overtown to get downtown.
They never reimbursed the ppl for the land they took and homes they destroyed and built apartments and projects and charged the families to live in them.

We know the history of our neighborhood.
That still don't stop everybody older than us from saying things is worse now then it was 10 years ago. It's something they see that we don't, and therefore I agree with them on that.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM

249 posts, read 312,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Why yall keep tryna give me lessons on my neighborhoods.

Things got bad overtown in the 60's cuz white destroyed everybody home to build the highway bcuz they didn't like passing thru overtown to get downtown.
They never reimbursed the ppl for the land they took and homes they destroyed and built apartments and projects and charged the families to live in them.

We know the history of our neighborhood.
That still don't stop everybody older than us from saying things is worse now then it was 10 years ago. It's something they see that we don't, and therefore I agree with them on that.
Overtown has the highway excuse - what about all of the other Miami ghettos? Obviously Overtown suffered a bad decline because of it but a lot of neighborhoods have a highway running through it and didn't turn that bad. A change in culture happened. Like I said, at about the same town OT declined so did other Miami neighborhoods like Liberty City - whats Liberty City's excuse?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Overtown has the highway excuse - what about all of the other Miami ghettos? Obviously Overtown suffered a bad decline because of it but a lot of neighborhoods have a highway running through it and didn't turn that bad. A change in culture happened. Like I said, at about the same town OT declined so did other Miami neighborhoods like Liberty City - whats Liberty City's excuse?
You don't get it. I'll explain.
Things got bad in liberty city once things got bad overtown. The highway issue is history, a fact, not excuse.
Liberty city's older generations came from overtown because the population was growing, we started moving into liberty city which was a white neighborhood. The whites moved out the more we moved in, and they moved out very fast.
Once things got bad overtown, it spread to liberty city, we had riots because things were so bad, miami blacks were closer as a community back then.
Most expensive riots in the US. Then to top it off cubans came and the drugs came in too. Ppl were poor, homeless, some used drugs to feel better about the situation, some saw the profit to be made, the younger ones did it because it was like weed is today. Flash forward you've got the current state these neighborhoods are in.
Other miami neghborhoods is the wrong thing to use, try other dade county neighborhoods.
Which were never as bad as the city and overtown and still aren't.
The reason they're bad now, crime wise, is because the young boys want they neghborhoods to be the next "overtown & liberty city".
I just turned 18 in august. I know how my generation operates.
The reason ppl older than us say things are worse now than b4, and say the 90's babies are reckless.
Is because we're the ones doing all the crimes and killing in miami. The sense of community is gone, now neighbors don't tryst eachother and fight all the time, the young boys look for fast money because we saw how working hard turned out for the other generations.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,405,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
I watched doc film few weeks ago and Miami was second after Paris

No, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or