Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times

Advertisements

OK, so I live in a mostly Spanish speaking building. I'm the only one in the small gym, climbing an incline on the treadmill watching Univisión - the Spanish news.

A guy comes in, grabs the remote from my treadmill and starts to change the station.

I told him I was watching it, and he explains that he cannot understand Spanish so he is changing it to English. I referred him to the rules which say that TV station choice is first come first serve, but in case of dispute, make a compromise.

He says that we are in the USA, and the USA is English, and that I am an immigrant and the TV should be in English, therefore no compromise. I tell him we are in Miami, and Miami is mostly Spanish, but I would compromise.

I asked him what he wanted to watch, and he said sports. I said we could watch sports in Spanish as a compromise, and I turned it to the Eurocup.

He said "awwwwwwww, Soccer? Are you kidding me?"

He then called me an ***hole and walked out.

So... the question is, despite the gym rules regarding choice of TV station, who was right and who was wrong in this run-in with my neighbor?

Should I have let him change the station to English just so he can feel good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
First come, first serve, that is the gym etiquette.

I never watch TV in the gym, but people will always ask me if it is ok to turn the channel, or to even turn it on when it is off.

You offered a compromise, he did not want it, too bad for him.

This is not about Miami etiquette, this is gym etiquette, pretty much universal as I have been to a few gyms around the world, and the same rules apply regarding the TV, radio, equipment use, etc.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
There shouldn't be music or tv at the gym to begin with, but that's another story.

However, thinking within these parameters, the guy had no right to change the channel and it was a rather inconsiderate move from his part to decline your compromise.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
The OP was in the right, so long as he didn't retaliate/escalate the situation. It's just a TV after all. You're there to work out and we could gain a lot by being understanding of people's crazy/jerk behaviors and let it slide when nobody is harmed.

I have experienced first hand how it can seem that latin Miami residents reject/discriminate English speaking Anglos so there's no telling what kind of bad experiences this guy could have had. Or he could have been just an a$$hole. Hopefully you stayed calm.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:09 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
BTW... I think the OP means "Arrggg" and not "Awww" as the later is meant to be used at cute/adorable things or situations.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
First come, first serve and you were more than reasonable.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
OP was in the right. Guy sounds like an ass, but being in a gym listening to a foreign language has got to suck. He just went about it the wrong way.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Wynwood, this guy was totally in the wrong. He invaded your personal space and reached on to your treadmill without your permission to take the remote and didn't even ask you. His actions tell me that he's an a-hole with a chip on his shoulder and his whole point was to "teach you a lesson" and "remind you whose country you're in" and basically make you feel very unwelcome. Well, F*** him! He can lick the poo! Seriously, I hate guys like that. Make them suffer at every turn and absolve yourself of all guilt. If someone annoys you in your lair, or invades your personal space in such manner, treat them cruelly and without mercy. You have no obligation to these destructive organisms whatsoever.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
First come, first serve. I would have told him to bend over and I'll shove the remote up his.... if he wanted it so bad.

Although I don't understand Spanish, either, I would never have taken the remote and changed the channel. If he wanted to watch TV he could have sat his fat rear in his apartment.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I agree, if the rule of the gym is first come, first decides what to watch. This is an interesting rule, because it puts the OP in the place of being courtious or not to the fellow neighbors. You basically get to see if someone is an ass or not. The OP could of been better. The other guy should of asked the OP nicely if they could watch something in English and then the OP should of changed it to something in english so they both could understand what was being said. Not watch sports in spanish when one can't understand whats being said. Doesn't matter what the rule of the gym is, its about being courtious to your fellow residents. So both were in the wrong in being neighborly to each other.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-10-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: