U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,759,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
First of all what is your definition of safe because in Miami there are no safe neighborhoods, any thing can happen anywhere at anytime. Where ever you go just be on your guard and don't take anything for granted. By no means walk alone in the Grove especially at night. If you stay around mainstreet and S bayshore dr you should be good to go. The further west you go on Grant ave the more dangerous it is. I've had a few run ins around those parts myself and people I know.
Great advice, while Miami isn't the worst city safety wise. It isn't kansas either. You have to be aware of your surroundings once you leave your house. People get followed home and robbed, or even robbed in their homes just because they left their garage door open during the day (criminals come into the house through the door to the garage). A few years ago a woman was putting her child in the car at a local mall in the middle day, she and the child were abducted and the woman sexually assaulted. This was one of the nice malls... So just be aware of your surroundings and who is around you. Basically like I said use big city mentality and you should be fine. There are however areas that if you use your big city mentality you should be less of a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Coral Gables, South Miami, Kendall?
These areas are better in respect to raising a family. There are parts of Coconut Grove that are just as good, they just will cost you. You should add Surfside, Aventura, Key Biscayne, Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest to this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM

419 posts, read 824,851 times
Try Surfside__

Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

68 posts, read 105,285 times
I strongly considered Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest, but I have an inner dilemma. At this point, I am not sure which of the two children who are still at home will move to Miami (as opposed to staying with the other parent). One child is ridiculously smart and I would want to have access to a really good school if he comes. That would pretty much put me into Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay. The other child is literally just trying to get her out of high school so it doesnt have to be the best school, but still ok. But I have lived in "the burbs" for my entire life and I would kind of like to experience something at least a little more urban just for a change. Or, if I could find a place that I could afford, near a beach would definitely be my first choice. I am even considering Ft Lauderdale, but I know it would be a serious commute. If this is potentially my last move, I want to move to a place that I sort of enjoy rather than just a place to hang my hat. I love the idea of Key Biscayne or Surfside, but (1) I don't know much about the high school options there and (2) I don't know if there is anything that would fit my price range.

Can anyone tell me about either of those places with regard to schools and housing? I pretty much need 3 bedrooms at a minimum but I can't see being able to go over $700K at this point. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,759,093 times
I'm not familiar enough with the schools for Surfside, so can't be much help there. Key Biscayne right now kids are bussed 10 miles to Coral Gables Senior High. Its a good school, its not great like Pinecrest, but it isn't bad. You probably will not find a detached house in your price range in Key Biscayne. But you should be able to find a 3 bedroom condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami