U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 AM

654 posts, read 1,290,747 times

Advertisements

How great of a city would Miami be if its culture was more American? Would Miami be just another Houston/Atlanta/Dallas or more along the lines of NYC/LA? I think the Latin culture is very important to Miami's development, but maybe it's too latin? Even with its problems, and being one of the TOP 5 major young cities in the continental U.S, it's still a major international city, not only to Latin America, but around the world.

It seems like Miami is a big hit or miss: a game-changing type of city that draws worldwide attraction and has major potential, but domestically, it isn't as attractive to people because of its major known flaws, and that maybe b/c of the very strong Latin culture. I'm not saying Miami should be like Seattle culturally, but how great would Miami be if it was more Americanized?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,869,648 times
I'm not sure I get the question considering:

Houston/Dallas- rednecks and cowboys
LA- a lot of Mexican
NYC- a mixture of Asian, Italian, African American, Indian, etc.
Atlanta- African American

If you're just looking for a plain mostly 'white' city with Anglo Americans maybe something like Seattle would be the best example?

If it were more white, no, I don't think it would make it any better or worse... just different.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM

6,568 posts, read 10,639,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I'm not sure I get the question ...
I don't get the question either.

Let's see, I pay taxes to the United States Federal Government, specifically to the US Treasury, I receive daily mail, whether I like it or not, from the United States Postal Service, I get home deliveries from orders on the internet through UPS and Fedex, I have telephone, cable TV and internet service from AT&T whose stock I can buy on a US stock exchange, the place where I live was built by a well-known pan-US construction company, I believe also listed on a US stock exchange, the building management company is based in Boca Raton and owned and managed by whities, I shop at supermarkets with headquarters in central Florida and somewhere in Minnesota, I believe, the mall closest to my dwelling is managed by one of the US's biggest retail property companies whose REIT stock I can by on a US stock exchange. I land at the airport and I have to pass US Customs and Immigration. The Miami Heat basketball team, a game invented in the US, is part of the US NBA, and a real winner, not to mention the US football Miami Dolphins and the US baseball team, while I don't know of any professional soccer teams, for example, in Miami. I could go on and on.

Yes, Latin American Spanish is widely spoken in Miami, but just about everything about the administration of the territory is US. Yes, maybe the mayor is a Cuban American, but lots of US cities have hyphenated Americans as mayor. To be sure, we can argue about the quality of administration and customer service in general, etc., but every place has issues.

Miami is Miami because it offers warm temperatures year round, the only major east coast US city that offers that, and in a state with no state income tax (if you want warm temperatures year round without the humidity, go to coastal southern California where you can also pay up to 10% state income tax rates).

For the rest, it is about the same overall as everywhere else in the US, though with a specific concentration of Latin American Spanish speakers most of whom, however, after the immigrant generation, speak English.

Grow up and Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-15-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM

11,163 posts, read 22,321,350 times
Had an interesting conversation with a friend who grew up in Miami back in the early 70's. He said back then before the huge population boom and all the cubans/latins coming in it was a completely different place. Very quiet, slow. He's actually Cuban, but said back then it was heavily white around Miami and it wasn't the cuban hotbed it is now and it wasn't the huge entertainment party atmosphere. He just happened to be Cuban. He goes back now and is shocked because everyone talks to him in Spanish and he gets all these stares when he tries to talk to people explaining he doesn't know a word of Spanish.

He said the Miami he knew in the 70's is totally gone.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,340,177 times
It wouldn't Miami then and would lack the uniqueness that a lot of people seem to like about it today. Nobody really seemed to give a crap about Miami until it did change and became more international.

I like Miami's Latin American/International vibe but some of the people there could have a little less attitude when they realize you don't know spanish, especially if you're latin and don't know it.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM

886 posts, read 1,330,707 times
Miami's vibe is what makes it great. Its un-American

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,936,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I think you are correct. It gets a little tiresome at times....for this American. Oh well, soon I won't have to put up with it...... Not everyone's cup of tea, but it is an exciting, vibrant, community.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,946,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Had an interesting conversation with a friend who grew up in Miami back in the early 70's. He said back then before the huge population boom and all the cubans/latins coming in it was a completely different place. Very quiet, slow. He's actually Cuban, but said back then it was heavily white around Miami and it wasn't the cuban hotbed it is now and it wasn't the huge entertainment party atmosphere. He just happened to be Cuban. He goes back now and is shocked because everyone talks to him in Spanish and he gets all these stares when he tries to talk to people explaining he doesn't know a word of Spanish.

He said the Miami he knew in the 70's is totally gone.
It's not a Miami thing. Back in the 70's, people still had respect, morals, and family values. Miami also wasn't as big of a city as it is today. Those times are gone not only in Miami, but in the rest of the world.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I guess that explains it. I wondered what it was we were looking at. My thought was that maybe a carnival was in town. I will have to admit that it was very entertaining just watching what was going on from our air conditioned car while driving through.

Oh, and as for driving through, a few road signs would be very helpful. Telling you that a street is under construction right at the sight does absolutely nothing in helping you choose another lane before you get to it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,528,123 times
What is "AMERICAN"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or