U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,803,567 times

Advertisements

Whenever I mention that I am from Miami, i get the familiar look "OH"? Often the condolences for being from such a terrible place. Surprising how many people see Miami as more "undesireable" than "paradise". One guy asked me why anyone would live in a place that most people can not even afford a decent home, and where it is more profitable to sell a business than do business! Smart, sensible people see Miami as the low quality city that it is. Thank goodness that there are plenty of crooks and crazies willing to move to Miami-Dade and support its dysfunctional economy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 AM

284 posts, read 1,021,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Whenever I mention that I am from Miami, i get the familiar look "OH"? Often the condolences for being from such a terrible place. Surprising how many people see Miami as more "undesireable" than "paradise". One guy asked me why anyone would live in a place that most people can not even afford a decent home, and where it is more profitable to sell a business than do business! Smart, sensible people see Miami as the low quality city that it is. Thank goodness that there are plenty of crooks and crazies willing to move to Miami-Dade and support its dysfunctional economy!
I am not a crook so I guess I must be one of the "crazies". Thank goodness for people like me that provide sustinence to the Miami economy

Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,735,664 times
tallricks, I used to get the same comments. But what I have done for the last 4-5 years, when people ask where am I from, I just say Florida. Most people don't ask about which city, then they usually talk about their vacation to Florida. So then I don't have to tell them I am from Miami and get those oh comments.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM

440 posts, read 1,408,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
tallricks, I used to get the same comments. But what I have done for the last 4-5 years, when people ask where am I from, I just say Florida. Most people don't ask about which city, then they usually talk about their vacation to Florida. So then I don't have to tell them I am from Miami and get those oh comments.

When I was in LA recently I said I was from Miami ( although I am not ) and reactions were nothing like you are describing , on the contrary ... everyone thought it was cool and wow , South Beach , party central , beautiful women ... go figure

The "Hollywood " image of Miami is alive and well ..... too bad it is one thing to party in Miami and another thing to live there .

Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,742,817 times
For some reason when I say I'm from West Palm Beach everyone says I'm lucky.... It's not that great here, we have many of the same problems you guys do... our reputation just isn't as bad

Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,817,090 times
I just tell people I'm from New York even if I was mostly raised in FL..heh...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM

110 posts, read 412,972 times
well guys its not true. when you say that you are from miami, people pay you respect.
i do not know about you but to be from Miami is HOT. Depends in what circles you go around

Old 09-27-2007, 01:54 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,964,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
For some reason when I say I'm from West Palm Beach everyone says I'm lucky.... It's not that great here, we have many of the same problems you guys do... our reputation just isn't as bad
I am from Miami but living in OrlAndo now, but i think when the name "Palm Beach" comes up when you are talking to people out of state that they dont even know that it has all the gangs or problems that it does.......everyone thats never been there associates it with rich people because of the movies.....i wont say that Palm Beach County is safer or worse than anywhere because i havent lived there but i have lived in Dade County and in OrLANDO and in North Florida and there is crime issues all over the state that northerners come here and tell us they think its paradise but in reality they arent moving into the average community here ...they are all moving to outskirts of our cities or nice 200k - 300k houses (well thats nice to me at least)

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 AM

16 posts, read 79,547 times
Default strange

hi, i come from England, i have only been in Florida for 4 weeks, boca raton.
i started out in P.A living with my father for 3 weeks, then came down here, love the sun etc. in P.A when i said im moving to boca, i got the reply of WOW. when i say that im from the u.k to the ppl in boca i get the reply of 'why on earth would you move from england, to boca.....its so boring' lol.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM

284 posts, read 1,021,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbuzz92 View Post
hi, i come from England, i have only been in Florida for 4 weeks, boca raton.
i started out in P.A living with my father for 3 weeks, then came down here, love the sun etc. in P.A when i said im moving to boca, i got the reply of WOW. when i say that im from the u.k to the ppl in boca i get the reply of 'why on earth would you move from england, to boca.....its so boring' lol.
It's the "grass is greener" syndrome--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami