Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times

Advertisements

OK well I hate the Outback and most chain restaurants for that matter

I looked on some other postings and it seems there are recommendations for Pinecrest, Pembroke, possibly Cutler & Homestead (depending on who you ask). I'm sure much of it has to do with the town and the specific neighborhood itself.Coral Gables has nothing in the 400-450K range and possibly Doral.

When I was younger I was anti subdivision/gated community and certainly home owner association, but now after living in one I see the benefits. My husband doesnt like it that I think this way, but I want a neighborhood that is not overly black, overly white, overly hispanic. I am fine with a mix of people, but I would prefer a fair mix regardless. I dont want to feel like the minority, but I have no need for it to be all white either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I don't like Outback Steakhouse myself, but it gives you a gauge of what my parents likes and views are (they think OBSH is fancy and they think CB is a nicer area). Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are nice, but in your price range you will not find a SFH. A condo or townhouse or a real fixer is possible in this price range. Like I said earlier if you are looking at South Miami-Dade, look at Kendall for your price range and a mix of cultures. Have you looked at Country Walk they are not gated, they are far, but they have an association with rules to keep things nice. Sabel Chase has an association.

In the area you are looking at south of Goulds, I saw some really nice looking new homes being built, but its just so close to Goulds. And you will have to drive 15-20 minutes for decent stores like Macys, the closest would be at The Falls (Southland Mall isn't that great yet, they have a Macys but it is rally small and doesn't carry much).

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-27-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post

but I want a neighborhood that is not overly black, overly white, overly hispanic. I am fine with a mix of people, but I would prefer a fair mix regardless. I dont want to feel like the minority, but I have no need for it to be all white either.
I wouldn't really recommend South Florida in general then...The only area I can think of in south Dade County where whites even make the plurality (not even majority) is Pinecrest, and the only non-celebrity(Relatively) area I can think of where whites make a MAJORITY is Aventura, which is $$$$$$ vertical suburb.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Well, my husband is fine with southern FL and the hispanic culture, and I am an Eastern European Jew, so I am a minority wherever I am anyway

Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Well, my husband is fine with southern FL and the hispanic culture, and I am an Eastern European Jew, so I am a minority wherever I am anyway
Well there are a lot of jews in Broward County...only 7 counties in the country with more, and their all in New York. Dade is a major center of Jewish culture as well, especially in Miami Beach. If the commute wasn't so strenuous I would really tell you to look into Cooper City or west Pembroke Pines...it's really a lot cleaner and safer up this way...and honestly, more diverse. These areas are nice by "Miami standards" down south. These areas up here are nice by most standards.400k can really get you a nice house in a nice neighborhood thats surrounded by other nice neighborhoods...I would be very very antsy about moving to anywhere in South Dade.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 PM

60 posts, read 430,930 times
I agree doggie. I have friends from all walks of life and have been to many different areas of Miami. It depends what your experience is... as in compared to Coral Gables, Cutler Bay is OK. Compared to Opa Locka, you are in paradise! LOL It is also a personality thing... some people like to display their money for all to see (house, car) others like to keep things discreet. I would much rather live more modestly and blend in as long as I am in a safe neighborhood where the people are nice. When it comes to living in a big city, its important not to mark yourself as a target.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Yes, maybe I'll look into Pembroke, haven't done that yet. As for moving further from Miami, my husband can live anywhere with his career, and I'm in school, but hoping to get into FIU Law so we are trying to stay within the general vicinity for my trek during school.
True, just as opinions on neighborhoods differ on this site, so do perspectives on whats excessive or modest. I believe in not looking down on those with more than me or than less than me, and just being grateful for what I have.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:06 AM

Ft. Lauderdale, or anyone else, what do you think of Miami Beach? We found nice houses there, not gated or with associations, but great prices.
Is M.B. considered safe, family friendly, etc?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I like Miami Beach, it is much more diverse than most of Miami-Dade. Depending on what part of Miami beach you live, its a little more family friendly. Miami Beach is safe by Miami standards, so a very good choice. Miami Beach is also close to many great restaurants, entertainment, clubs, bars, beach, etc. The homes are older usually, which means good construction most likely. A good choice.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks Doggie, do you know this area
15961 SW 99 ST, Miami Beach, FL 33196

It says miami beach but when i placed it i got miami??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami