Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 AM

92 posts, read 208,149 times

Advertisements

I've been asked by my employer to temporarily work out of our Ft. Lauderdale office. I live in Palmetto Bay. I know the commute will be tough - I'm a native Miamian - but I'm trying to figure out the best route to make it as bearable as possible. Given where I live, I could take the Palmetto or Turnpike with relative ease. Anyone out there do this commute and have thoughts on which option is better? I would assume the Turnpike would be a quicker ride but the last time I drove from Ft. Lauderdale home during the evening commute it took me nearly 2 hours on the Turnpike, with no accidents or anything from what I could tell, just tons of back up starting in Doral. I welcome any and all suggestions, except for the one telling me not to do it. That isn't an option, unfortunately . Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
The only thing is can think of is start early. If possible get into work early and then leave early or get into work late and leave late. If you get on the road at 7am traffic won't be too bad and if you go home and get on the road by 4pm traffic may not be that bad. Hpbut 4:30pm and it will be.

It can work the other way too but probably not as good. Leave T 9:30am and then leave work at6:30pm.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
I wouldn't rule out good old US1 and I-95 since it's more direct and there will be traffic congestion and occasional accidents no matter which route you take. It's really the US1 stretch that will be painful, the rest is pretty much a reverse commute. Well, except that coming south across the County Line in the evening can be slow, you can check the traffic reports and decide if it's worth it to get the Turnpike instead.

We should all be writing to our public officials and the FEC, since it would be so much easier and less stressful for the OP to drive to Metrorail or Busway, watch all the traffic stuck on US1 from the window for 17 minutes, then take the FEC commuter train from downtown Miami to FLL in about 40 minutes. Imagine how many books you'd get through! If you have patience for it, the existing Tri-rail does have a station near downtown FLL, but you would have to go so far out of the way on Metrorail to use it Although there are 95 Express busses that do a few "reverse commute" trips between downtown Miami and FLL.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM

92 posts, read 208,149 times
Thanks to you both. I think I will try to leave early and take US1 to 95 since I can use the express lanes if necessary. And hurricaneMan1992, I totally agree about public transportation though even if we had a decent system, I would still need my car since I need to drive around to different places for my job during the day. Still, if we had a good public transportation system, maybe less people would drive and we'd have less congestion on our roads. Oh well.

Also, agree with the tip to check traffic in the afternoon before I leave the office to see what highways are flowing best. I do that now for my evening commute from downtown as it gives me the option to take the Dolphin or 95 South depending on what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: