U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 AM

4 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

So this is my first post here, as I have been lurking for awhile and frequently linked to this site during research. My lady and I are in the early stages of preparing for an uproot to somewhere better accomodating. We now live in Los Angeles (near the OC boarder actually), CA and have loved growing up here but as I come to terms with what's important, it's not seeming as practical for us to live here, compared to elsewheres just based on the expenses. I have been to South Florida twice for vacation (one time driving from Atlanta) and Orlando once.

We are in our mid 20s, black/latinos speak spanish pretty well and portuguese. What we're looking for is actually raw land to build a home on for a reasonable price. Something close to half an acre or more, which is why I said "near" Miami (as in maybe half an hour of driving to it). I would be looking for work as a Physical Therapy Assistant and she has 3 semesters of school to finish before we would be able to move (so very early stage now).

I have looked around (just online searches) and the main places that have readily available land that I've seen are:

Miramar, Davie and Homestead

Homestead would be a completely bottom tier choice just based on what I've uncovered online (mainly because of the distance), but I have never been there so I will keep it in consideration.

I want to know if anyone has direct experiences with these areas and if there are OTHER areas that may meet our needs within the same distance radius, about 20-30 miles, but closer is always better (homestead is an extreme stretch). Also maybe some problems we may encounter in the example areas! I can give more information.

Thanks a lot~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 AM

2,888 posts, read 4,697,079 times
Buildable land in Miami is in short supply. Finding a single family residential lot, especially a 1/2 acre, isn't going to be as cheap as you think. With the economy the way it is and with home prices at a low it is probable cheaper to buy an existing house than go through the process of building your own.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,937,909 times
Homestead has a new, large hospital connected with Baptist Health systems. You might be able to find a job there and have a tiny commute. The Redland area just north of Homestead has land for building and a number of homes are up for sale. Why build a new one?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks for replies guys.

Shooter, I was looking for a lot of land drivable to Miami, like the areas I mentioned in the first post. Not necessarily within Miami or Miami county. Maybe I could ask the nearby county forums?

Popcorn, that's good to hear.. I'll have to check out Redland. I really really don't mind undeveloped areas, as long as I can get to basic things like grocery/farmer's markets within a reasonable time.

As far as the new vs used home, we are planning to build a modest but fortified home. There aren't any of those on the market at all, really as some of the concepts are somewhat new in design as far as I know. Hurricane and flood resistant, basically fire proofing with masonry and other sustainable technologies that combine new and old building skills. The Home Owners liability is extremely lower, so your insurances are very low, and a few other perks from governments~

Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,411,114 times
Acreage in West Broward/Palm Beach is going to be pricey. Your best bet is the Homestead area.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,135,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonatuvada View Post
Popcorn, that's good to hear.. I'll have to check out Redland. I really really don't mind undeveloped areas, as long as I can get to basic things like grocery/farmer's markets within a reasonable time.
Well, you won't have trouble getting produce in Homestead, that's for sure. I personally wouldn't choose to live there, but it has its perks.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Palm Beach is quite expensive it seems, but the Davie acreage is reasonable to me.

I was kinda wondering if there were anything similar or if there were anything to be wary of in that area (or the other areas I mentioned) based on the personal info I put~

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM

6,966 posts, read 5,411,114 times
Quote:
Palm Beach is quite expensive it seems, but the Davie acreage is reasonable to me.

I was kinda wondering if there were anything similar or if there were anything to be wary of in that area (or the other areas I mentioned) based on the personal info I put~
Where in Davie are you looking?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM

313 posts, read 631,151 times
Quote:

Palm beach is an hour drive north of Miami Dade County during non-rush hour. Davie does have open buildable land. Just an FYI about building in Florida. They just implemented the 2010 Building code in state wide. You won't be able to deviate much from what they require. Adding green technology will increase your expenses. Look to spend about $200-$300 a square foot in building expenses if you go that route. Its far cheaper to upgrade an older home which has been proven to withstand hurricanes.

Another thing about Davie........you may find some racism against blacks and hispanics there.

Good luck.

Joe

Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 AM

Thanks a lot. Still researching and preparing~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or