U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

3,406 posts, read 7,534,368 times

Advertisements

Which careers would you say are at an advantage and disadvantage in Miami?

When I was there I was a a bartender so I don't have a grasp on a lot of other things in Miami.

An example would be in New York City a career in banking and/or finance can flourish while in Idaho a career in acting is pretty much useless.

I think bartending is not a great career unless you plan on owning a bar one day, but it is much better in Miami than most other places I've been.

I will also say that a career in k-12 teaching is probably not the best in Miami since there have been so many budget cuts and lack of public concern.

good:
bar related

bad:
k-12 teaching

your turn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM

684 posts, read 1,289,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Which careers would you say are at an advantage and disadvantage in Miami?

When I was there I was a a bartender so I don't have a grasp on a lot of other things in Miami.

An example would be in New York City a career in banking and/or finance can flourish while in Idaho a career in acting is pretty much useless.

I think bartending is not a great career unless you plan on owning a bar one day, but it is much better in Miami than most other places I've been.

I will also say that a career in k-12 teaching is probably not the best in Miami since there have been so many budget cuts and lack of public concern.

Good:
bar related

Bad:
k-12 teaching

your turn
BAD --> K-12 teaching

GOOD: --> Medicine, Nursing, Hospitality Administration, IT, and Law

Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,154,214 times
Financial advising is pretty good down here also international tax law and accounting. Lots of people from all over the world come into Miami with a lot of money and need places to put it. Law is another fairly decent field down here but obviously you need to go to law school for that. International Law, Criminal Law of course and Immigration Law are some of the big ones along with tax. Also maritime law and aviation law are bigger here than most places.

Aviation is huge down here. Logistics stuff, sea and air.

Hospitality and Medical are the two largest industries in Miami I believe.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM

326 posts, read 825,520 times
Good--yacht engineer (always in demand)
Bad--yacht captain (a dime a dozen)

Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 PM

529 posts, read 943,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
BAD --> K-12 teaching

IT is good? I've heard the contrary...

Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,520,314 times
Anything related with medicine seems to be doing good down here

Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,524,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
BAD --> K-12 teaching

Agree with most of this except maybe IT. A friend of mine here is an IT professional, but is struggling to find work. Law and medicine are definitely demand areas. I would tend to stay away from anything low paying here or in pretty much any major US city due to the COL.

It's a shame the real estate bubble burst, because that's one field I'd have loved to have got involved in.

It's a plus if you know a bit of Spanish too, even if it's just enough to make small talk (shows willing).

Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM

776 posts, read 1,092,633 times
GOOD: Hospitality, Medicine, Law, Real State (yet fluctuate) criminologist, Biologist, Oceanographer, Agriculture Engineer, Financial, Having ur own business (online business, dry cleaning, clothing, shipping, pawn, hard money lenders, buying foreclosure houses, buying auction cars fixiing and reselling them, fast food, Multi levels "MLM", all type of insurances, chiropractors, grocery stores, stock market, forex, making your own church, masseur, barman, cosmetologist, weight loss, gyms, fitness food, making "empanadas", selling fruits, flowers and others in the lights "they make 150 in 6hrs", cleaning, landscaping, modeling academies, martial arts, driver, mechanic, Aupair business, bannersbroker.com/xanderusa, and others)

BAD: engineer, industry, psychology, chemist, teacher, radiology, dental technician, marketing, architect, aviator, IT,

Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
GOOD: Hospitality, Medicine, Law, Real State (yet fluctuate) criminologist, Biologist, Oceanographer, Agriculture Engineer, Financial, Having ur own business (online business, dry cleaning, clothing, shipping, pawn, hard money lenders, buying foreclosure houses, buying auction cars fixiing and reselling them, fast food, Multi levels "MLM", all type of insurances, chiropractors, grocery stores, stock market, forex, making your own church, masseur, barman, cosmetologist, weight loss, gyms, fitness food, making "empanadas", selling fruits, flowers and others in the lights "they make 150 in 6hrs", cleaning, landscaping, modeling academies, martial arts, driver, mechanic, Aupair business, bannersbroker.com/xanderusa, and others)

BAD: engineer, industry, psychology, chemist, teacher, radiology, dental technician, marketing, architect, aviator, IT,
Interesting list. What strikes me is psychology and marketing...I though those would be good in any big city. Care to elaborate.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Anything related with medicine seems to be doing good down here

Definatly this. At Broward College they train nurses and EMTs in huge groups it looks like a serious military operation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or