U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,466,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Not true, look at many places that have been gentrified and you will see they are much more than make up over a scar. The poor are what ruin communities, with drugs/violence/prostitution/low standard of living. When you gentrify you create a better living enviorment, you get more tax dollars, you get less crime, you get better landscaped areas, you get better schools , you get an all around great place to be. It's like when you buy a fixer upper house and you transform it, and put it out on the open market with brand new everything, you can do the same thing with neighborhoods, if people really cared about making it a better place to live. Sometimes I wish they could just get a few bulldozers and start fresh all over again.
very ignorant post.

obviously you know nothing about being poor or poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM

15,388 posts, read 13,409,934 times
Being poor is not the cause of crime. Being poor may be a reflection of a person's choices in committing crime, but merely the fact of not having money does not cause crime.

Being poor also does not cause people to throw trash outside their house, become drug addicts, make poor spending choices, and engage in general ghetto behavior. A person can be poor due to this however, and many are because this behavior is a reflection of their choices in life.

In a perfect world, the amount of money a person makes should not matter in regards to this subject, and there are many places in the world with poor areas that are relatively crime free and not near the ghettoized crime area they would be expected to be.

No amount of money is going to change these people's habits. You could round all these Opa Locka types and through them in Coral Gables, and the Gables will turn into an Opa Locka overnight.

The American Dream is actually the pursuit of housing away from the ghetto, which causes the large variances in prices we see today. Many people will spend their whole lives trying to move from the ghetto as it expands. A good deal of financial resources are spent by people trying to not be located in the ghetto.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 AM

313 posts, read 630,354 times
I strongly believe that crime causes poor neighborhoods. Who wants to open a business in a neighborhood that has a high crime rate.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM

419 posts, read 824,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Being poor is not the cause of crime.
The majority of crime comes from poor people, people with no money.

If you research yourself you will see lower income areas are more prone to crime than higher income areas, i wonder why is that?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,066,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
The majority of crime comes from poor people, people with no money.

If you research yourself you will see lower income areas are more prone to crime than higher income areas, i wonder why is that?
a crime is just something the powerful say to the less powerful you cannot do. Since the poor have almost no power, most of what they need to do is deemed a crime.

My mottos are these: the bigger the fortune, the bigger the crime.
it's only a crime if you're caught
it's easier to ask forgiveness than for permission.

And **** everything else. Look out for yourself.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No amount of money is going to change these people's habits. You could round all these Opa Locka types and through them in Coral Gables, and the Gables will turn into an Opa Locka overnight.
people in opa locka are born into generational poverty. they don't have access to the same resources for their kids and their kids in turn end up becoming poor. in reality, poor and rich neighborhoods should be at least integrated to the point where both have access to the same public schools. separate is never equal.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,688,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
people in opa locka are born into generational poverty. they don't have access to the same resources for their kids and their kids in turn end up becoming poor. in reality, poor and rich neighborhoods should be at least integrated to the point where both have access to the same public schools. separate is never equal.
Good idea, lets ruin the few good public schools that we have left.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Good idea, lets ruin the few good public schools that we have left.
the first thing that the government should do for her youngest citizens is make sure they all have access to a quality education. if she can't or won't do it then she failed her citizens. and those citizens then have no moral obligation to follow the laws or play fair because they were neglected and ignored by society.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,661,203 times
Miami is sooo ghetto that nobody comes here anymore,because its always too crowded.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM

313 posts, read 630,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
the first thing that the government should do for her youngest citizens is make sure they all have access to a quality education. if she can't or won't do it then she failed her citizens. and those citizens then have no moral obligation to follow the laws or play fair because they were neglected and ignored by society.
I disagree. It is the responsiblitly of the parents to bring up their children not the Government. I came to this country back in 1965 when there was real segregation. When people who were white with English sounding names were treated differently than the rest. When people still burned crosses in front lawns and blacks were made to sit in the back of the bus.

My family came here only with the clothes on our backs. My parents worked in sweat shops and road construction which is very horrible work. They sacrificed and put me and my sister through private school for the first 6 grades so I wouldn't be forced to attend the crappy public schools where we lived. And they did this without an education and with minimal English speaking ability. They did this through hard work. They came from a country where nobody got ahead unless you were a Communist.

I put myself through College and University by my own way without financial aid by simply working. My sister did the same.

You tell me why can't people who have lived here for generations can't do the same especially now when its so much easier to go to school.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY.

You can rise as high as you want to go in this country if you have the persistance to not give up. My old kung fu master told me a long time ago..."Winners never quit and Quitters never win."

Thats for anything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami