Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are moving to miami and looking at public schools in coral gables and coconut grove!
The move is happening in the middle of the school year... moving after Christmas!

we’re also looking at houses with a low budget for these areas! 400k i know its a stretch but any input on Realestate, recommendations for schools and coral gables vs coconut grove will be really a great help!!!thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Both areas have great schools but $400k, not gonna happen. The Grove is more expensive than the Gables just because of the lack of inventory.

Gables is your better bet but you might have to rent for a little while. If you can go a little further South, then look at South Miami before Pinecrest. Good schools , more affordable homes. I have a lot of clients like you that don't have/want to drop $650k+ for a 3 bedroom in the Gables so they go there.

Also, Miami shores isn't a bad option but you'll need to be in the upper 400s to get a real 3 bedroom. A lot of the homes are just 2 bedrooms with converted garages which can be a problem if they aren't done right.

If you can find a 3 bedroom Condo some place in Miami Beach, that would be good too. North Beach Elementary, South Pointe Elementary, Ruth K Broad K-8 Center are all great schools. Houses in Mid Beach run about $1ML+ and Surfside about $500k+. You could find a home in Normandy Island though for $400k and be able to attend one of those schools. Not sure about your high school option though (could be Beach High or it could be something on the mainland).

Aventura would be an excellent option but its about an hour commute in rush hour to the Gables from there each way. Still close to the beach and all the fun stuff Miami has to offer.

Let me know if you need more help or suggestions!

Old 11-16-2017, 05:39 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
I agree with Marc.
Your budget isn’t going to allow what you’re looking for in those areas.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
$400K will get you a single family in Doral or Kendall. Doral has the better schools.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:04 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
My parents have a home near Gables High School. House was built in early 1950's. It's a 3/2, 1 car garage (which is their den) and is about 1600 square feet. Tiny kitchen. Master ok in size, others are small, though growing up, they were big enough. One hall closet. Definitely NOT enough storage space. Tiny lot. Driveway space for 1 car. Don't dare try parking on YOUR lawn, the City Beautiful will ticket you.

Zillow estimates the house at $640K.

Maybe you need to look in to foreclosures???

Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

Maybe you need to look in to foreclosures???
Foreclosures sell like any other home unless it needs a lot of work or has many violations/open permits that require it to be a cash only deal.

For the average buyer getting a mortgage, you'll pay just about the same as Foreclosure as you would a regular seller. Plus, seller occupied homes tend to be better taken care of, aren't missing a whole bunch of things, and after inspection, you have a chance of them fixing things. A bank isn't going to do anything and just hurry you through the transaction with no knowledge of the home.

Most buyers should avoid Foreclosures. They aren't a big discount, that was only during the post-recession crash in 2010-2011.

Just hire a good agent, look for the home you love or a home that has a motivated seller and get your offer in early!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,731 times
I agree with the others, $400K in The Grove or Coral Gables just won't happen. Even the rare small 2/1 home in those areas won't sell for that price. Maybe a condo north/west of US-1. There are some newer buildings popping up around Ponce De Leon and Bird Rd.

Otherwise, for a single-family home, you might be able to find a small home in the Coral Terrace area, which is right next to Coral gables, very nice neighborhood. But it's getting expensive due to the location. Best bet is to look at areas to the South or West.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:30 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I agree with the others, $400K in The Grove or Coral Gables just won't happen. Even the rare small 2/1 home in those areas won't sell for that price. Maybe a condo north/west of US-1. There are some newer buildings popping up around Ponce De Leon and Bird Rd.
Au contraire.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...91_rect/16_zm/

Old 11-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I get your point to the person above but 3 kids and 2 adults sharing 1 bathroom?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I get your point to the person above but 3 kids and 2 adults sharing 1 bathroom?
As you noted, this was simply in response to the poster who stated that you couldn't find a 2/1 for $400k in Coral Gables. It was not meant in any way for the OP to consider and I apologize for the slight derail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami