Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM

23 posts, read 82,166 times

Advertisements

Cuban food or anything Cuban related would certainly be one of many things I would not miss about South Florida. I would, however, miss the great Jewish delis that we in South Florida have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonlyAmericanleft View Post
Cuban food or anything Cuban related would certainly be one of many things I would not miss about South Florida. I would, however, miss the great Jewish delis that we in South Florida have
They don't have any good delis in Dade and Broward anymore .

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM

23 posts, read 82,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
They don't have any good delis in Dade and Broward anymore .
I beg to differ. Have you ever tried this place?: Welcome to Roasters'n Toasters Deli (broken link)

I go to the one at 15641 Sheridan St. Davie, FL......Its right in the same complex as Movico.

Everything is excellent....Breakfast and lunch

Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Cuban food is not appealing to me at all. The only thing I enjoy is fried plantains, but that's not a cuban invention. The trick to Cuban cooking is to use white bread, white rice, and sugar, sugar, sugar. I hate black coffee, black beans, and the slimy chicken they seem to cook. The tasty pork and steak is not exclusive to the Cuban culture. My background is also European and Spanish food is more my style than the island variety.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 AM

110 posts, read 438,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
rose.pal - How was the summer up there compared to South Florida? Where in NC are you? Why I ask, is we are contemplating a trip to Charlotte to see what it is like.
Doggiebus,

I am in central North Carolina, just south of Raleigh. The summer here was HOT!! We had several days that were at or over 100 degrees. There is less humidity here than in So. Fla though. But at 110 degrees humidity is an after thought! Charlotte is almost 2 1/2 hours from me so I don't know the area at all. Sorry

Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonlyAmericanleft View Post
Yeah those are not exactly in abundance here.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
I moved from South Florida four months ago. I love where I am and don't regret the move but there are some things about Miami that I do miss. I have posted here before and have bashed Miami along with a lot of other posters. I am going to visit my family in 2 weeks and I actually can't wait to get there. I miss what I'm familiar with I guess. (I lived in So. Fla. almost my entire life) I plan to stock up on some Cuban food favorites and bring them back with me to keep in the freezer!!
You are not crazy! I also moved from Miami to Portland 5 years ago with a total "good riddence" attitude. I hated the humidity, the crime, the corrupt politicians, the a$$holes at the SOBE clubs, the traffic near the airport, and all the other things that everyone complains about when it comes to Miami.

Well, after being away for a few years, I would take it all back in a second. You can't beat Miami's international vibe, the Cuban food & cigars, the sun, the water, all the gorgeous deco buildings on south beach. You can't beat the proximity to the Florida Keys & the everglades. You can't beat being able to pick a fresh mango or a coconut from your yard whenever you want.

I miss Miami...screw Portland...anyone wanna trade?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
:I miss Miami...screw Portland...anyone wanna trade?
Why did you move to Portland in the first place. How are the people? How is the weather in Portland? Is it gloomy many months? We were also thinking about trip to Portland to see if we would like to live in Portland.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Why did you move to Portland in the first place. How are the people? How is the weather in Portland? Is it gloomy many months? We were also thinking about trip to Portland to see if we would like to live in Portland.
I moved to Portland because I just got bored of my life in Miami. It was just one of those things...I chose Portland because of several factors:

1) It is the cheapest "major" West Coast city to live in.
2) It is clean, green, well managed and offers its residents a very high quality of life.
3) The air is clean and there is abundant outdoor recreation all around. There is also a top notch public transportation system here to help get you wherever you need to go, even if the car is dead or in the shop.
4) Politically speaking, I identify and agree with Portland far more than Miami.

That said, I would still rather live in Miami because:

1) Summertime in the Pacific Northwest offers the nicest weather in America hands down. You get weeks on end with nothing but sun and totally dry 85 degree days. The wintertime however, which lasts from about October to June is mainly the same grey, rainy day repeated over and over and over again. It can get MADDENING! I am hoping this will be the last one I have to endure before I can make it back to FL.
2) The people in Portland tend to be depressed, passive aggressive, and very self absorbed. I am very outgoing and not shy in the least...still...it is difficult to make friends here. At least people in Florida are either nice, or a$$holes right from the start so you know who you are dealing with. Here, everyone will be nice and polite up front, but don’t seem to know how to or want to connect on any deeper levels.
3) The job market here SUCKS. In Florida, I could find a job if I spelled my name correctly on the application and promised to show up when scheduled. Here, they practically want a college degree and a DNA sample just to pump gas. Ok that was a bit of an exaggeration....but it feels like that, seriously!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post

You are not crazy! I also moved from Miami to Portland 5 years ago with a total "good riddence" attitude. I hated the humidity, the crime, the corrupt politicians, the a$$holes at the SOBE clubs, the traffic near the airport, and all the other things that everyone complains about when it comes to Miami.

Well, after being away for a few years, I would take it all back in a second. You can't beat Miami's international vibe, the Cuban food & cigars, the sun, the water, all the gorgeous deco buildings on south beach. You can't beat the proximity to the Florida Keys & the everglades. You can't beat being able to pick a fresh mango or a coconut from your yard whenever you want.

I miss Miami...screw Portland...anyone wanna trade?
sounds weird but i miss the thunderstorms! We have them here too but they are different--hard to explain. I have great neighbors here and the ones I had to Miami didn't even talk to me but I miss my family alot. I am looking forward to the seasons changing too. I guess it just doesn't feel like home yet. Like Miamiblue said, it gets easier with time.

Last edited by rose.pal; 10-02-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami