Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:41 PM

154 posts, read 147,647 times

Advertisements

It seems like the city has the right idea but is choosing the wrong place.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...age-plant.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 04:53 PM

11,138 posts, read 15,908,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
The city hasn't chosen any place yet, right or wrong. In fact, nothing is even up for a vote yet. This is just one of five possible locations. The others are 2451 NW 7th Ave, property at corner of NW 6th Ave & 6th St., NW 71st St. & 5th Pl., and the MPA Lots under I-95 near the Miami Riverside Center and Jose Marti Park.

On a related matter, I always find it somewhat comical when people link to news sources in Europe to discuss items of local interest.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:16 PM

18,208 posts, read 8,027,666 times
Mailonline is the British.....DailyMail is the American component....DailyMail has staff, offices, editors, reporters, etc the whole ball...in the USA

DailyMail is local in that sense...but in this internet age...none of that matters

"Miami commission rejects plan to move homeless to Virginia Key, but idea may return. Miami commissioners rejected a concept to create a temporary homeless shelter on Virginia Key, but several commissioners said they would be open to the concept after more analysis.2 hours ago"

Last edited by Corrie22; 07-28-2022 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 06:54 PM

7,370 posts, read 6,422,913 times
It’s possible the other source was listed since the Herald might have had a paywall??

Old 07-28-2022, 06:58 PM

18,208 posts, read 8,027,666 times
^ exactly why I never link to the Herald....not everyone can read it

Old 07-28-2022, 07:05 PM

25,170 posts, read 12,317,093 times
I've often thought that people who do not want to engage in society, & contribute, should not be allowed to benefit from it, & live amongst us.

Remember the Pilgrims who tried to grow food in community gardens, and members of the community were supposed to volunteer their time working the gardens to cultivate the crops? Well, some started skipping out on their responsibilities, & the Pilgrims almost starved to death.

Then, they decided to give each family their own plat of area, within the fertile community garden, to grow their own food, & voila! Everyone prospered, & began trading the crops they grew.

I say lease the homeless people government land ($1/acre/yr) away from population centers to make their own way. Provide irrigation, seeds, & basic tools to grow food, & purify the water for drinking. Give them a tent, enough provisions to last until their crops could feed them, & guns/ammo to hunt for meat. If they succeeded, they'd be given the option to return to society, if they failed and tried to sneak back into society, they've be imprisoned for life, & work as prison laborers to offset the costs of their confinement. If they failed & faced starvation, they'd have to offer their labor to others who were succeeding on their leased lands.

Before you criticize my idea, offer your own. Or, explain why we should allow the homeless to destroy our society. The idea of America being a free society doesn't mean freeloaders must be permitted to exist amongst us. If you want to personally sponsor one of them, I'd be for that alternative.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:42 AM

154 posts, read 147,647 times
I work with homeless people. Half of them are drug addicts. When night falls the homeless drug addicts hit the neighborhoods looking for anything they can steal to feed their habit. In fact, 50% of all crime is drug related whether it be possession or trying to get money to buy drugs. In the Jose Marti Park area there are numerous thefts, car break ins, stabbings and assaults every night. Desperate homeless drug addicts roam the streets til morning terrorizing the neighborhood.
This is why I believe Miami should enact a no camping ordinance like Key West, except for designated areas. These areas should be away from the neighborhoods to protect citizens from crime, but still be near public transportation and a store.
That is why I said the city has the right idea but wrong location.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:38 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,908,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Mailonline is the British.....DailyMail is the American component....DailyMail has staff, offices, editors, reporters, etc the whole ball...in the USA

DailyMail is local in that sense...but in this internet age...none of that matters

"Miami commission rejects plan to move homeless to Virginia Key, but idea may return. Miami commissioners rejected a concept to create a temporary homeless shelter on Virginia Key, but several commissioners said they would be open to the concept after more analysis.2 hours ago"
Interesting; I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:09 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,565,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
Ah yes, the Miami (and American way)... Push homeless people out of the main city, create a homeless city away from the main city, just to say "look, we don't have homeless people". This creates a false sense of progress, while not tackling real issues. Considering how expensive Miami is and how a lot of people are one paycheque away from hitting the streets, it will be reminiscent of west coast cities, mark my words. Miami already falsifies homeless data to make it seem like there are fewer homeless people YoY, but once you factor those that are considered "invisible" homeless, it jumps dramatically.

And of course, the whole stigma of how homeless people are all violent and drug addicts, which is another cop out to not helping them. Any city that does something like this deserves the worst form of karma, period.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:34 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,291,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

I'd also add that Daily Mail, sadly, does much better reporting than any US new outlets. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NewsNation? Vomit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami