Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM

19 posts, read 22,265 times

Advertisements

We are renting in the Palmetto Bay area and I keep finding ants all over the house. I've sealed all of the holes and cracks I can find and set out poison traps but they just keep pouring in. And the mosquitoes are killing me. My legs look so bad I can't wear shorts anymore.

We also need to find an insurance agent as our old insurance company doesn't do renter's or flood. They also jacked up our premiums since we moved here. I have emailed and called a bunch of places and no one can call me back. Do they want business or not?

Thanks for the help...you guys are the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
get a good bug spray from Home depot - I use "Ortho Home Defense Max", because it is safe for pets (once it is dry.)

The large gallon-size bottle comes with a hose & spray handle built right in -- i have wood floors and the ants just POUR up through the cracks especially after a good rain. So i spray everywhere - around all baseboards, floor joins, windows, all around the front door inside and outside, AND in all cracks in between each piece of wood in the floor -- it's labor intensive but it HAS kept the ants out. Spray once a month and/or especially after a big rain.

This is pretty much the same thing an exterminator service does, but it is a lot cheaper to do it yourself, and the chemicals they use are not necessarily pet-safe.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
I agree, use the store bought 1 gallon bug spray. It last 1-2 months so there is no need to waste money on an exterminator, yes I am thrifty and conservative when it comes to spending.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I agree don't waste your money on a bug guy. Ortho is great. I use it around my doors and windows every four-six months. If I see a trail of ants in the house, I usually spray around a few inches where they are coming in and that seems to take care of them.

If you are new to Florida you may not know this. You can't leave food out on your counters like you did in other parts of the country. Crumbs need to be cleaned up. Fruit are the only things I leave out in the air, otherwise everything else gets put in a sealed container or in the fridge if its opened. The less things you have for the ants to get to, the less ants you will have. Your cereal, don't just roll the plastic bag up and put it in a cabinet, the ants will find it. Put it in a container or in the fridge.

As for the mosquitos, well they can sell you all kinds of things to help you keep the mosquitos at bay. But in Palmetto Bay you are closer to the water, so closer to the mosquitos. The best thing is to avoid the mosquitos when they are feeding, which is at dusk and dawn. You can also call Miami-Dades 311 number to complain about the mosquitos, they will send someone out to check how bad they are if you call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: