Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
I'm so glad it stopped raining. I missed the sun .
it was only 2 days without the sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I guess I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming that she lived in a high-rise with its own back-up generator. I have a friend who lives in a building on Brickell that can generate its own power when necessary.
Do many buildings have back up generators? I just figured places downtown dont lose power as much because they are on a good grid and mostly underground lines.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I doubt Miami will get much out of this at all, much less tropical storm force winds. But we shall see!
So I guess we know not to rely on your hurricane forcast in the future...

Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Do many buildings have back up generators? I just figured places downtown dont lose power as much because they are on a good grid and mostly underground lines.
I don't really know how prevelant it is down here. I just know that the building on Brickell where my friend lives (Bristol Tower) has back-up generator(s). Conversely, I'm in a relatively new condo on Collins (Bel Aire on the Ocean) and this building doesn't.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
So I guess we know not to rely on your hurricane forcast in the future...
MIA had winds sustained well below tropical storm force and there was *one* gust to 50. You do realize that is a typical windy day elsewhere around the country? There was no wind damage either. But if you think my prediction was a bust and the armegeddon profecies of weather central, storm center and the hurricane tracking plex were more accurate, please post pics to back up the trail of destruction Isaac left in Miami, because I clearly missed it.

Sorry,fallen leaves and puddles do not constitute a tropical storm. MIA was brushed by outter bands, if you think this was what a tropical storm is really like, you would be hyperventilating in the myriad of true tropical storms from the past....

Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM

17 posts, read 34,304 times
I am bracing for a major hurricane and worry that could doom my investment here in south Florida. I hope that it does not come soon. Of course there are weather hazards all across the world not just south Florida. IF there is a major hurricane forecast I am not sure I will evacuate. I may die and then it is over!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRI433 View Post
I am bracing for a major hurricane and worry that could doom my investment here in south Florida. I hope that it does not come soon. Of course there are weather hazards all across the world not just south Florida. IF there is a major hurricane forecast I am not sure I will evacuate. I may die and then it is over!
A major hurricane won't doom any investments.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
A major hurricane won't doom any investments.
If you have insurance.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
MIA had winds sustained well below tropical storm force and there was *one* gust to 50. You do realize that is a typical windy day elsewhere around the country? There was no wind damage either. But if you think my prediction was a bust and the armegeddon profecies of weather central, storm center and the hurricane tracking plex were more accurate, please post pics to back up the trail of destruction Isaac left in Miami, because I clearly missed it.

Sorry,fallen leaves and puddles do not constitute a tropical storm. MIA was brushed by outter bands, if you think this was what a tropical storm is really like, you would be hyperventilating in the myriad of true tropical storms from the past....
So now you change it to sustained winds. Gotcha! As for wind damage, there were a few fallen trees as well as some power outages. But you are right, mostly just a windy day. And you may want to remember that T.S. force winds are equal to or exceeding 39MPH. I don't think winds of that speed would cause a trail of destruction but may knock down a few loose branches, trees and cause minor power outage.

I have studdied Tropical cyclones for years. Rather than basing it on pure opinion as you do I'd rather let the models determine where a storm is headed. I do however agree that some of these news stations over-hype it. But in a way it is a good thing. Rather have people be prepared than un-informed.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
For me, I'd much rather be in a direct hit for a fast moving hurricane than a direct hit from a stalled or slow moving tropical storm. FWIW I was in Charleston for Hugo in 1989.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami