U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

4,719 posts, read 5,403,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ I agree with you regarding a Metromover extension to the beach since it really doesn't have the capacity to move many people like Metrorail does. The $1 billion dollar cost sounds more like what it would cost to build a Metrorail extension instead of a Metromover extension though since it would have traverse close to 5 miles over Biscayne bay.
Now that the Airport line is open this has to be a priority to connect Metrorail at least to South Beach on 5th. street.
It cost around 500 Million to do a bit over 2 miles to MIA it will cost much more than 1 billion for 5 miles across the bay and into Miami Beach.

Really? You sure are smart.

"As of 2000, Miami Beach had the 22nd highest concentration of Cuban residents in the United States, at 20.5% of the population.[34] It had the 28th highest percentage of Colombian residents, at 4.4% of the city's population,[35] and the 14th highest percentage of Brazilian residents, at 2.2% of the its population (tied with Hillside, New Jersey and Hudson, Massachusetts.)[36] It also had the 27th largest concentration of Peruvian ancestry, at 1.85%,[37] and the 27th highest percentage of people of Venezuelan heritage, at 1.79%.[38] Miami Beach also has the 33rd highest concentration of Honduran ancestry (1.03%)[39] and the 41st-highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents, which made up 1% of the population"

Oh and to add Miami Beach is over 50% Hispanic. Also to add to your statement "wetbacks" is histroically a term used to Mexicans. At least get your racist slurs correct if you are going to use them.

Last edited by Annie of Oldsmar; 08-24-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM

3,252 posts, read 4,190,776 times
It would definitely cost more than a billion to go out to the beach and that would only include a link around 5th.

FlyMIA- The troll just wants food, that's why they came back and posted another stupid thing. Ignore is the best policy!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,822,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It would definitely cost more than a billion to go out to the beach and that would only include a link around 5th.

FlyMIA- The troll just wants food, that's why they came back and posted another stupid thing. Ignore is the best policy!
that and report it! No need for that sorta crap

Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM

4,719 posts, read 5,403,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

Yea you know I figured that. But really what type of person has so little going on in their life that they get a kick out of that type of thing. It is fairly difficult to imagine.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,832,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
we could build a light rail system for cheaper. However, after every severe storm you would be replacing all those overhead infrastructure and over time it will come out to the same price. Build it right the first time.
Denver gets lee mountain wave storms and hail storms. Dallas gets winter storms, squall lines, and tornadoes. Apparently, engineers have already figured out how to make the overhead wires durable.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,822,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Denver gets lee mountain wave storms and hail storms. Dallas gets winter storms, squall lines, and tornadoes. Apparently, engineers have already figured out how to make the overhead wires durable.
you have obviously never lived in Dallas, I have. They do NOT get storms the likes of Hurricanes and I doubt Denver does either.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:26 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,654,978 times
I'm a big fan of public transit, but I think a rail to MB is a stupid idea. What's the point? Just take the bus!

Now my question is though - as I recall to get a bus to MB you had to go over to like Omni Station - where the Mac dumps off into that sketchy part where OT collides w construction and zombies rove. That's the big problem - waiting in that cruddy hood for the damn bus.

Do they have a bus to the beach from some decent part of MIA yet like Brickell or Bayside Marketplace? They just need a few buses that stop and Brickell but drive right by Zombieland w/o stopping.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM

273 posts, read 152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I'm a big fan of public transit, but I think a rail to MB is a stupid idea. What's the point? Just take the bus!

Now my question is though - as I recall to get a bus to MB you had to go over to like Omni Station - where the Mac dumps off into that sketchy part where OT collides w construction and zombies rove. That's the big problem - waiting in that cruddy hood for the damn bus.

Do they have a bus to the beach from some decent part of MIA yet like Brickell or Bayside Marketplace? They just need a few buses that stop and Brickell but drive right by Zombieland w/o stopping.
Taking a bus to Miami Beach can take forever. Buses are slow, have to deal with traffic and intersections. They have to stop at every bus stop and can be a huge hassle if it's raining.

Building a rail line to the beach is much better and efficient.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM

3,361 posts, read 3,749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

You have more frequent service if you transfer at the Omni, because you have some routes that start there in addition to the ones that pass through after having served Downtown. The Downtown routes pass by Bayside Marketplace (the "C" & "S"), and offer fairly frequent service (the "C", "S", & #120 all start at Government Center and pass through the Omni).

The problem is that buses get caught in traffic, and trains also have more capacity for handling crowds.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,832,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you have obviously never lived in Dallas, I have. They do NOT get storms the likes of Hurricanes and I doubt Denver does either.
We haven't gotten a hurricane in 7 years, and even this time with Isaac we're getting a glancing blow. Denver and Dallas get severe squall lines almost every year. Hong Kong, which also experiences typhoons, likely more frequent than we do, has 22 miles of light rail. Macao as well. Tokyo still has some light rail, as do other Japanese cities. Back in the US, Houston metro rail is light rail, though it's a limited system.

The only case I'm aware of a hurricane knocking out a light rail "streetcar" is Katrina in New Orleans, which was mostly due to large trees (which we have few of) falling on to the cables and some damage to the actual rail cars. Despite this, they're actually expanding their system.

Add to my list of cities with strong storms and light rail systems: Portland, which experiences winter cyclones with hurricane force winds...probably more frequently than we get hit by the actual center of hurricanes.

BTW, I doubt Metrorail would have been undamaged if Andrew had tracked 20 miles further north...I don't think we really know what a direct hit from a strong hurricane would do to an elevated rail system. Or course, in a Cat 4 or 5, everything will have some degree of damage. Light rail might actually be cheaper to fix in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami