Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM

115 posts, read 205,491 times

Advertisements

MIAMI BEACH - A YIDDISHE RUMBA - YouTube

I think this song is a relic that once depicted an abundant Jewish community here in South Florida. Does anyone ever remember listening to this? Cuban and Jewish culture all in one song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,300,486 times
There is still a sizable jewish community here. Have you been to Aventura lately? Or bal harbor which has a huge hassidic community? Also on south beach there are tons of jews, and that HUGE yehshiva university or whatever its call as soon as you come over the bridge from the mainland is nothing to sniff at either.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,949,977 times
Once? Miami has the third largest Jewish population in the country. 6th largest in the world, yes the world. 3 cities in Israel and LA and NYC are the only cities which have larger Jewish communities.

Unfortunately Yiddish is a dying language. But not sure why it seems like you are saying Miami does not have a large Jewish population anymore. And it still has many Latin Americans who are jewish, including Cubans.

If I'm reading your comment wrong then never mind the above. But I'm fairly sure you mean there once was an abundant community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_...by_urban_areas

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,575,912 times
After WW2 numerous Eastern European Jews arrived in Cuba. As Castro came into power, around 1959, many were able to escape to Florida. The ones who arrived in Florida spoke Spanish and Yiddish. This is also the reason there is a Israeli Consulate in Miami.

http://israel.embassy-online.net/Israel-Consulate-General-Miami.php

Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,147,066 times
I thought we had more than LA..,

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,575,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I thought we had more than LA..,
Those are the NY transplants when the film industry moved to the west coast.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 PM

115 posts, read 205,491 times
I've been told by many people who've lived here for more than 40 years that the Jewish community used to be present in practically all of Miami, they even lived in our now Little Havana area at the time. I just think that the only times I see any Jewish people is when I go to parts South Beach, North Miami Beach, and Aventura, perhaps those are the target areas. Correct me if I'm wrong please. And yes, Yiddish is definitely a dying language, and its a shame since I consider it to be an important part of Jewish culture/religion.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,788,876 times
Westchester and than Kendale Lakes also had a large jewish population but not anymore.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 AM

231 posts, read 502,771 times
Miami Beach still IS very Jewish, but I remember when it was predominantly Jewish. Jewish-Cubans are called Jewbans, they have/had a synagogue or two and four or five blocks around Collins back in the 60's. There were around 15.000 Jewbans. I have never seen a black Jewban, must be a new phenomenah. Jewbans were very conservative, clannish. They had some sort of Cuban-Kosher gastronomy, quite interesting.

A famous Jewban is the owner of Movado watches.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,949,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiguogubaren View Post
I've been told by many people who've lived here for more than 40 years that the Jewish community used to be present in practically all of Miami, they even lived in our now Little Havana area at the time. I just think that the only times I see any Jewish people is when I go to parts South Beach, North Miami Beach, and Aventura, perhaps those are the target areas. Correct me if I'm wrong please. And yes, Yiddish is definitely a dying language, and its a shame since I consider it to be an important part of Jewish culture/religion.
They live all over the metro. All the barrier islands. Brickell, Downtown, Midtown, Upper East Side, Coconut Grove, Pincrest, Coral Gables, Aventura, North Miami Beach, North Miami many areas of Broward and Palm Beach too, Boca, Weston etc.. Everywhere 500,000+ its not just a few places. Its not as easy to identify because there are so many more people. But still a big community in the Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami