Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM

60 posts, read 68,548 times

Advertisements

I've found the Publix stores in Miami to be kind of dirty. The Publix stores in Atlanta are a lot cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,959 times
im working in a very nice winn dixie, and also a very big one at that! 5600 west sample road. in fort lauderdale FL!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM

71 posts, read 154,800 times
i live in miami beach and am yet to buy a car so using publix for my groceries. im buyin a car just so i can use walmart as the product range and prices suck at publix here at miami beach

Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
I'm actually a big fan of Publix (the deli especially!), but will be happy when some of the local Targets add grocery sections as I've found them to be a good selection with lower prices.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
Lol well Manhattan is expensive but okay you know what I mean about the fruit/vegetable places in the other boroughs.

I dont doubt at all that Publix has better quality than local places .
First off congratulation you have found the one and only thing that is more exspensive in Florida than NY.

Why don't you just stop by those trucks on the side of the road. Fruit fresh from Homestead. You act these fruit/vegetables stands or places are not in Miami. Just because their not in your gated community in Doral doesn't mewan they don't exist. Don't be afraid to travel outside the gate 8th street is right there and it's littered with what your looking for.

Personally the only reason I would ever go to Publix is their deli and only their cakes from the bakery because their bread sucks.

It's funny though all I see where I live atleast in Publix is transplants and snow terds. Spread the word Valea on a northen strike on Publix it might put them out of buisness. I hope.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
OMG, I could go on for a year about how much I hate Publix. They're overpriced, their produce is terrible (if they get "the best" I'd hate to see other stores), for as huge as the stores are the number of individual items is actually very limited (I don't need to choose from 27 kinds of corn flakes, thanks) and if you have a coupon of any real value the checker calls a floor manager, who then takes it to the store manager, and invariably comes back saying "We're not honoring these coupons." But as other people have said, Winn-Dixie stores always seem kind of grubby and run down. Publix realizes they can beat Winn-Dixie without doing anything for customers...so they don't. I buy from Penn Dutch, established and roving fruit + veg vendors, and a little carneceria that's on my way home from school. Grrr...Publix: Where shopping is an ordeal!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
I find it unreal that as a whole PUBLIX in Miami is more expensive than NY Waldbaums as far as brand names go. I compare Waldbaums with Publix because both are same high standards for cleanliness,freshness,etc but Publix here is more expensive for SAME EXACT items .

Its like Publix wants you to only buy their brand name .

Not to mention FLORIDA Oranges cheaper in NY than Miami there is something wrong with this picture .
Its funny, I had this same argument with some know-it-all that doesn't even live in Florida. I am from Brooklyn and I tried to explain to them that food is more expensive in Florida than in NYC, but you can't argue facts with emotions I guess.

Welcome to Florida my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
First off congratulation you have found the one and only thing that is more exspensive in Florida than NY.

Why don't you just stop by those trucks on the side of the road. Fruit fresh from Homestead. You act these fruit/vegetables stands or places are not in Miami. Just because their not in your gated community in Doral doesn't mewan they don't exist. Don't be afraid to travel outside the gate 8th street is right there and it's littered with what your looking for.

Personally the only reason I would ever go to Publix is their deli and only their cakes from the bakery because their bread sucks.

It's funny though all I see where I live atleast in Publix is transplants and snow terds. Spread the word Valea on a northen strike on Publix it might put them out of buisness. I hope.
Transportation = more expansive in Florida than NYC
Housing when you do the math is more expensive here as well. I will say you do get more space in Florida but when you break down your utilities + your rent you do not come out ahead in Florida. I will say IF you are willing to live with in your means in NYC you can make a good go of it there. Where as in Miami there is little in between in this place. Well unless you are willing to live in some ugly, far flung suburb in which your transportation cost go up more. meh.

With that said, I do think Miami is the ish and has a crazy amount of potential, its just not where it needs to be yet though.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

46 posts, read 89,869 times
Publix bakeries are far from clean. In fact, the nasty ladies working there won't even wear gloves when serving cakes. I left twice -- once one of them was cleaning the counter with a rug and then touched the eclair i was going to buy and another time one cleaned her nose and was going to serve me w/o gloves.
Bleahhh

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

Transportation = more expansive in Florida than NYC
Housing when you do the math is more expensive here as well. I will say you do get more space in Florida but when you break down your utilities + your rent you do not come out ahead in Florida. I will say IF you are willing to live with in your means in NYC you can make a good go of it there. Where as in Miami there is little in between in this place. Well unless you are willing to live in some ugly, far flung suburb in which your transportation cost go up more. meh.

With that said, I do think Miami is the ish and has a crazy amount of potential, its just not where it needs to be yet though.
So you think transportation and rent with utilities are more exspensive in Florida? My cousin lives in Brooklyn Heights pays 1.7k a month 2 br 2 bth. He brags to me how that is a good deal. He explains to me that if your not willing to pay more than 1k than your living in a not so desirable neighborhood. So he roughly pays 20k a year in rent. That's enough for him to buy a foreclosure house in Florida. Or he can rent a 3br 2bth and a pool for less than that price in Florida. Anyways in your mathematical equation for utilities did you forget to add utilities in the winter time for NYC?

As for transportation from personal experience and I don't think prices are that much of when I say I payed 8 dollars for three hours in a parking garage in New Brunswick NJ. A week later in payed 2.5 and I parked all night at Cityplace. Soyour far flung suburb which all suburbs are if you do the math lets say somebody living in Kendall or even Broward County drives to Downtown Mia compared to someone who lives in Long Island or even Staten Island drives to Mid or Downtown. Who pays more on a daily basis. Including parking garages and gas and traffic time? Unless your talking about taking the subway and never owning a car and driving yourself anywhere?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
So you think transportation and rent with utilities are more exspensive in Florida? My cousin lives in Brooklyn Heights pays 1.7k a month 2 br 2 bth. He brags to me how that is a good deal. He explains to me that if your not willing to pay more than 1k than your living in a not so desirable neighborhood. So he roughly pays 20k a year in rent. That's enough for him to buy a foreclosure house in Florida. Or he can rent a 3br 2bth and a pool for less than that price in Florida. Anyways in your mathematical equation for utilities did you forget to add utilities in the winter time for NYC?

As for transportation from personal experience and I don't think prices are that much of when I say I payed 8 dollars for three hours in a parking garage in New Brunswick NJ. A week later in payed 2.5 and I parked all night at Cityplace. Soyour far flung suburb which all suburbs are if you do the math lets say somebody living in Kendall or even Broward County drives to Downtown Mia compared to someone who lives in Long Island or even Staten Island drives to Mid or Downtown. Who pays more on a daily basis. Including parking garages and gas and traffic time? Unless your talking about taking the subway and never owning a car and driving yourself anywhere?
you must not be from brooklyn. I am, and let me tell you, your example is absurd. Brooklyn heights is one of the most exclusive areas in Brooklyn. That would be like me arguing with someone about the cost of living in Miami using Pine Crest parts of coral gables or parts of south beach (the really wealth parts) as a argument, its not sensible.

You don't seem to know the city that well. You can get decent rents in Flatbush, Bed Stuy and many other areas. I gave you just a few examples but its hard to have this discussion with you because you dont seem to know the area well enough for me to discuss it with you.

As for utilities and winter in NYC, ummm i suggest you do research on how utilities work in the city for many places. Some places have changed though (for the worse) but either way just do some research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami