Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,444,330 times

Advertisements

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,152,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
Okay here it is. Beautiful beaches and some of the bluest and clearest waters that you can find in the lower 48 and thats it. I was born in Flint Michigan and have also lived in Maryland, Long Island NY, Chicago, Hawaii for seven years and recently relocated to Miami Fl which was probably a mistake.
MIAMI IS THE WORST.

Let me tell you about the problems in Miami.

1. Lack of driver education.
There are too many clueless immigrants behind the wheel of cars in Miami. I though Hawaii was probably the worst place to drive until I came here.
Most people dont even have the common sense to speed up on the accelaration ramps in order to enter the expressway and the only part of the car they seem to know how to operate is the brakes. Ive never seen so many people braking on the expressway for no reason. Merging is a big challenge for Miami drivers. Im not saying that Ive never seen this in L.A. or the other states I have lived in but its an epidemic here in MIA.
Dirty Restaurants.

Call me spoiled but in L.A. when you enter a restaurant there is a letter grade A B or C posted on the door so that you know the conditions of the restaurant and have an idea about the cleanliness. In Miami that doesnt seem to exist. Here people place your spoons and forks on dirty counters full of bacteria and collect money and prepare food all at the same time. In L.A. thats a no no. That alone could get a restaurant shut down.

3.Prejudiced Hispanics.
While I love Latin culture and music and I also speak spanish fluently being a black American not of Latin descent has prooved very interesting. While I have built many great relationships with members of the Latino community, I have found that WHITE HISPANICS are 10 times more prejudice than White Americans. What has happened is that blacks constantly hold white americans accountable for whatever comment about African American no matter how innocent it may be while many Miami hispanics pass their time engaging in useless chatter during morning talk radio programs discussing stupid topics like IS IT POSSIBLE TO WORK WITH AN AFRICAN AMERICAN. The myth is that black americans are conflictivo. The saddest part about it is that if a White American were to engage in this converstation they would be pulled of air, but because their whiteness is shielded by the ethnic category of HISPANIC which supposedly makes them members of a MINORITY group and protected class, they go un noticed.
Which leads to my next point.

LACK OF AMERICAN INFLUENCE.

Sometimes I long to see a regular white American face. The problem in Miami is that the true Americans have left and seem to have little influence in the politics of Miami. The result is third world Miami. Trust me. I felt more at home on my vacation in San Jose Costa Rica than I do in Miami Dade County.

Forget what you heard. THIS AINT PARADISE.
I READ THAT MIAMI DADE COUNTY HAD A 45 PERCENT GRADUATION RATE OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I CANT QUOTE IT EXACTLY. NOW I UNDERSTAND THE RUDENESS AND NOTHING TO LOSS ATTITUDE THAT EXIST HERE IN MIAMI. SURE PEOPLE IN THE BIG CITIES ARE RUDE, BUT THEY ARE ALSO CULTURED. IN NEW YORK OR L.A. YOU GET CUT OFF BECAUSE THE PERSON TRYING TO GET AROUND YOU REALLY HAS SOMEWHERE TO GO, IN MIAMI YOU GET CUT OFF BY SOME LOW CLASS REJECT WHO JUST WANTS TO MAKE A POINT. I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHY DRIVERS IN MIAMI CUT YOU OFF AND GO SLOWER AND NOT EVEN GO AROUND THE CARE THEY WERE BEHIND.
THE TRUTH IS IF YOU TAKE AWAY OVER RATED SOUTH BEACH, THE HOTELS AND KEY BISCAYNE THIS PLACE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GHETTO. A COMPLETE DUMP. SAD FOR A CITY WITH SUCH A BEAUTIFUL LOCATION AND SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

I am cuban and nobody can tell that I am "hispanic". I am fairly white; too white for the sunshine here but I grew up in NY, so I come from one of those really cultured and diverse cities where anything goes. I have worked and still work here in Miami now, hand in hand with MANY african americans. My parents never raised me to think that I was any different or any better than the next person, regardless. I am quite comfortable with and used to being around blacks, Jews, Asian, hispanics and anything else. But I will tell you something. I think most hispanics do not see the difference in skin color between white or black hispanics but they are at arms length with black americans or Haitians.

Why is that?

I am so sorry you don't like Miami. You seem to have lots of experience moving around so I hope you can find your perfect world somewhere else soon.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks.

P.S. There are a few areas in Miami that do look "ghetto" but NOTHING in comparison to the real ghettos you find everywhere in NYC.

Last edited by vpcats; 02-05-2007 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

I agree that the Cubans do not fit the mold of most Hispanics. All are different, some are great and down to earth, but it does seem like a disproportionate number are not "humble" as another poster put it.
LOL... That would be yours truly! (the not humble type)

Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM

929 posts, read 1,155,181 times
vpcats, everyone should be somewhat humble. arrogance is ugly and wrong.

the more the bad news spreads about miami the more companies will decide not to invest somewhere else, the more people who will move away from it, etc. starve the beast, shrug the atlas. let the lazy culture lie in the beds they made for themselves.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
vpcats, everyone should be somewhat humble. arrogance is ugly and wrong.

the more the bad news spreads about miami the more companies will decide not to invest somewhere else, the more people who will move away from it, etc. starve the beast, shrug the atlas. let the lazy culture lie in the beds they made for themselves.

I'm not arrogant (unless you pull the wrong strings) but I am assertive. I don't let anybody step all over me.
I don't see the beast being starved.

By the way, Citgo gasoline. Name will be changed to Petro Express. Citgo belongs to Chavez so he's going to try to fool people. MORE people.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Pedro Express
well burgerking was battling with its investors over moving out of state or moving to coral gables. theyre moving to coral gables for now but i cant imagine theyll be there too much longer if the ghettofication of miami continues.
i dont let anyone step all over me either. a trait i had to learn quickly by hard knocks when i arrived here and discovered friendliness here was a sign of weakness. i can verbally eviscerate most californians now.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 AM

CiXel have you ever checked out the North Carolina forum? I do occasionally. There are so many, but SOOOO many people from SoCal looking to move there.. Why are they wanting to get out if it's such a great place? Many want to move to Florida too. And all those Floridians wanting to go to NC, well, I've been hearing that "it ain't all it's cracked up to be" and they are experiencing major disappointment also.
I don't think any of us will ever be totally happy anywhere. If it's not the weather, it's the traffic, the language, the cost of living, the wages, the food, the schools, the churches, the race, the culture - anything. There's always something that doesn't satisfy us to some extent. I think we just expect too darn much and are not willing to sweat it out and make the best out of our short time on this planet. We are so demanding it's not healthy.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 AM

93 posts, read 329,732 times
If you live in Cali, at least you can escape to its neighboring states. In FL, are you going to drift on a inner tube to Cuba?

So far, I've visited family in GA, and now I'm in TN for 10 days, just relaxing. It's been snowing and we love it. Than we're off to either the midwest, or south through Texas and eventually to the Pacific Northwest. I feel sorry for all of you in S. Florida. Well, Florida in general.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM

PNW!!!! Wow, I thought you'd be in YOUR paradise by now and settling in again. Enjoy your flight from Florida and I hope it all goes well for you.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 AM

"Why are they wanting to get out if it's such a great place?"

no nature and way more crowded than you could ever imagine. you never see an empty field. its wall to wall concrete for 2 hours almost every direction but they have EVERYTHING.

i think i could be happy in hawaii
i need tropical for my hobbies ie. coral reefs and tropical fruit
i intended to move someplace that was in the US because i didnt want to deal with the hassle of learning a totally new language and/or culture which you have to deal with in most tropical climates. i figured it was like LA where you didnt have to know spanish to get by and that nearly all of the spanish speakers were also english speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami