Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Two choices:

1. You leave.
2. You die.

I forgot two -

3. Swim.
4. Surf.

I think with option 3, you have to add option 3.5 which would be "get eaten by a shark"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM

99 posts, read 397,072 times
I hear you guys, bump if you do, bump if you don't! I can't live no where safe! A native Newark, NJ resident like don't know much about hurricanes and earthquakes (oh yeah, earthquake hit between Augusta, GA where I'm at now last year up to New York City and I didn't feel a thing) For real, I was in class at that time, there. So I don't know what to do, can't be safe anywhere. Now I'm getting hurricanes in my hometown in the northeast, ridiculous! So here I am in a ghetto- hicktown called Augusta, GA in my opinion can't leave anywhere until my aunt passes away and legal adult guardianship of me being "incompatant "
and hate every minute of Augusta, GA for 9+ years. So whatever, I don't know to deal with the cold and I don't know how to deal with disasters like hurricanes. So....??????! I hope you guys ain't trying to scare me from my goals of living in South Beach or visiting there. Please don't, I'm terrified enough! So...??????!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Well Hurricane season doesn't start until June 1st. so you have plenty of time to visit. As for hurricanes you basically prepare for them. Don't you prepare for snow storms in New Jersey ? We used too, so down here in Florida you prepare for hurricanes, stock up on bottled water & canned foods, flashlights, ice gas up your car & get cash for the extended periods you maybe without water & power.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 AM

317 posts, read 576,479 times
we do prepare for snow storms in NYC/NJ, so just apply that logic to Miami Beach and youll be fine

Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 PM

The question still remains until I decide to move back north and decide to explore that city without fear of dying in natural disasters such as hurricanes in Florida and earthquakes in California or even worse volcanoes in Hawaii. Thought about leaving to go to live in Barbados with less hurricanes, but scared. So Newark, NJ is all I know! And the question is to you and everybody else is. How would you feel if you are on a verge of winning up to $5,000 a week for life, $1 million, or $10 million dollars scared to decide where to move to either NYC, Newark, NJ, Miami Beach, Florida or Barbados? While you've been out of Jersey for 9+ years missing your sister and never been out on your own independently at the age of 27 years old black male because your parents are telling you you're retarded and stupid and mentally unable to take of yourself because the doctors don't realize your deceased parents were on drugs as I grew in a screwed up childhood and life I have now! I hate being on SSI and Medicaid/Medicare and I hate Augusta, GA! Because people like to nickpick, panhandle, start junk, and be nosy downing you where you say you're from. Especially if you're up north like me in Newark, NJ. Saying comments "I'll never survive living up north if I go back!" or "You ain't going nowhere, you're going to be right here forever!" or "It's too cold or too dangerous!" Etc, etc, etc!" That's how it is in Augusta, GA, trust me, whoever wants to move there or thinking about it. Is making a biiiggg mistake!!! Don't do it, people! Please don't! Because if you do, you're going to regret it later, trust me. Unless, you're in the military or an elderly couple or a single elderly person. Me, I'm young, so this isn't for me. But anyway, I stand corrected on all this I've wrote, tonight.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
^^^ If I won 10 million dollars I would move to a place where no one knew me.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM

317 posts, read 576,479 times
ras, join the army and you'll learn plenty about yourself and how to live independently and survive in the worse **** God can dish out, ive been to some God forsaken places in my life and survived them all

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Ok, Did my research on the internet about Florida and hurricanes, ways to protect and survive from a hurricane like storm surges and evacuation centers in Miami and all over Florida. Hurricane shutters, etc. But there's something bothering me about flood insurance and yes, I need to know about this because I need to know if my apartment and/or house is covered. So when hurricane season comes next year, I will know that I am protected and my house or apartment is protected. BTW, What do you guys know about the National Flood Insurance in Florida or nationwide. It's been advertised on TV here in Augusta, GA lately for the last few days to a week now, is the insurance company a good idea or not? Please guys, don't give me that crap saying that flood insurance is a bummer, joke, and no good, okay. If you're not going to help me with this, then don't bother posting threads about the negative side of flood insurance that can help me and protect my place when I come down to Florida in due season, okay. I know that whenever there's a will, there's a way. Thank you and have a good day.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 947 times
Some areas of Miami Beach, such as below the Alton overpass, are prone to flooding after only an hour of rain. And that is an overestimate on hurricane proof windows/housing--many Art Deco vintage buildings on the beach have withstood hurricanes but are not "hurricane proof" by any means.

For the most part, people stay put, or head west to Homestead areas to be away from the immediate coastline. South Florida isn't convenient to get out of, especially with thousands of cars on the road looking to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami