Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 PM

138 posts, read 246,623 times

Advertisements

I'm new in Miami, spent most of my life in Chicago. The city of Chicago has several churches full of hundreds of young professionals, and I really enjoyed them.

Brand new in Miami, and I'd like to find a church that has a lot of young professionals, ideally in the greater downtown area.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
I'm new in Miami, spent most of my life in Chicago. The city of Chicago has several churches full of hundreds of young professionals, and I really enjoyed them.

Brand new in Miami, and I'd like to find a church that has a lot of young professionals, ideally in the greater downtown area.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
You're looking for churches in Lucifer's favorite city?

Perhaps you meant to click on the Mississippi Forum ...

Now if you ask us about drugs, smuggling, gun running, covert operations, crooked government, public nudity, decadence, drinking all night, wild women, transvestite prostitutes or zombie cannibals, you've come to the right place!

I F-ING LOVE MIAMI!

Here's what I worship - Miss Miami Beach Exxxotica 2011 - YouTube!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 20,983 times
What is your denomination?

We have all types of churches: Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, nom denomination etc.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
miami - Google Maps

Here is the First Presbyterian Church in the Miami Financial District known as Brickell. There are a lot of young professionals that live in this area that possibly might attend this particular church.

As you know it only takes a gathering of 3 or 4 people to make it a church, it is not about a building but the presence of the Body of Christ.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 AM

138 posts, read 246,623 times
Thanks for the replies ... seems likes it is slim pickings for "churches with young people" in Miami.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM

33 posts, read 61,048 times
Oh, brother, sanctimonious and humorless versus ax-to-grind. Can't we all be lighthearted and, more to the point, on topic??

Ping322, "slim pickings" is quite astute. To put it bluntly, you're looking in the wrong city. xS☺Be's general picture may appear a bit overstated, but it is not at all far off from reality. WINTERFRONT's post is pretty insightful. Articulate anti-religious sentiment is rare in Miami, but then again, articulate anything is hard to come by in Miami. Indifference is more common, and if someone mocks you for your religion it is more likely to stem from their received notions about "religious people not knowing how to party." (Regrettably in my view, you're in a town where more than a few people, religious or otherwise, don't in fact seem to know how to party without cocaine...)

If you're looking for something Protestant-Evangelical/Revivalist (since it DOES sound as though your experience in Chicago was centered around the "megachurches"), probably the nearest suitable thing for you would be something like Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church or Calvary Chapel in Fort Lauderdale. It sounds like a bit of a trek, but on Sundays the traffic is not at all bad and I have to admit that the universal sense of relief one gets when crossing the Dade County line into Broward makes any excuse to drive up north well worth it!

(No hating: I had the time of my life in Miami but it was asphyxiating all the same, and when it was time to leave, it was time to leave.)

If you're some other denomination, you'll have to change your approach (and quite possibly your geographic location), but that's true in most cities. (I am a Roman Catholic and rarely recommend seeking out "Catholic Youth Alliances" or anything along those lines for constructing one's social circle, in any setting, simply because the "community" nature of Catholic parishes makes it difficult to find tolerable people who are not already well-established from childhood forward.)

Anyway, that might sound discouraging, but try not to let it get you down. You're in one of the most narcissistic places on Earth! By all means check out the places I mentioned above if you are so inclined, but while you are in Miami-Dade, try to lower your expectations about the community and enjoy the spectacle while it lasts. (I sure as heck did!)

Last edited by rustypolymath; 10-03-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami