Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,616 times

Advertisements

How can a building collapse like this. I thought it is suppose [LEFT]steel reinforcement in the concrete? [/LEFT]Someone screwed up big or this contract was given to someone friend who does not have qualifications i might be wrong.

One Dead, One Trapped In Garage Collapse At Miami-Dade College « CBS Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Unfortunately it has not been the first time a parking garage has collapsed during or after construction.

Two I remember off the top of my head,

4 dead in N.J. parking garage collapse - CNN

No victims found under collapsed New Jersey parking garage - CNN

Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
Sad.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Very sad...

Thankfully it only took two lives so far. It could have been much, much worse. I feel for the people that perished and for their families.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
It happens because of corruption and greed. The system is broken and backed by dirty politicians and under qualified and/or paid off government officials. The politicians are in bed with large construction companies and developers, since they all have lobbyist in Tallahassee, and expect everyone to give them a red carpet treatment no matter what. If the inspectors do their job then they are labeled as a nuisance, are accused of increasing the cost of the project, delaying the project, being to strict and not working with everyone involved with the project. If the inspectors don't do their jobs then they are open to liability, are considered unprofessional and corrupt, and will be thrown under the bus if something were to happen as. Every time a problem is brought up it is quickly brushed under the rug and the project continues as if nothing ever happened. These large structural collapses didn't happen before in America. You only heard of this in countries like Mexico, India, Philippines, and Brazil.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Things View Post
The contract was given to someone's friend? Nope, Neither the owner or president is named Paco Gonzalez or Juan Perez. None look like rafters either.Why not use google instead of coming up with these funny theories? Here fromtheir website:

"Founded in 1958 by the late J.B. "Block" Smith, Ajax Building Corporation boasts over three generations of experience with Block's grandson, John B. Smith II, serving as Vice President. In 2003, after 11 years of outstanding leadership within the company, the Smith Family invited Bill Byrne to become an owner of the company. In 2004, Bill was appointed President of Ajax.
This partnership enhances Ajax's commitment to clients by having an owner of the company directly involved in every Ajax Project. Together, they bring over 115 years of combined experience in the construction industry.
In 2008, Ajax proudly celebrated its first 50 years of quality in service. This Golden Anniversary prompted a look back over the many accomplishments that made the company what it is today. "
So I guess only hispanics are corrupt and immoral, white anglo Americans are all honest and moral people. If that is the case than what is the problem with capital hill.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Was it built on sand?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Was it built on sand?
First off I don't think the foundation failed. I believe it was one of the top floors that collapsed and caused the floors under it to also collapse, kind of what happened to the twin towers. Secondly even if it was built on sand it still should not collapse. Being a multi-story parking garage designed to hold the weight of a lot of cars I am sure that it had a piling foundation. Another thing to consider is that before any building is constructed soil test are performed.

Last edited by straight shooter; 10-10-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
This is what happens when jobs are given to unskilled "friends". Miami's culture.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
This is what happens when jobs are given to unskilled "friends". Miami's culture.
Proof? I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: