Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM

525 posts, read 760,597 times

Advertisements

Which beach do you prefer and WHY?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Really?

You had to create yet another troll thread so you can start your usual harrangue that Miami is not tropical?

Sorry, we're not stupid enough to fall for that again. (I hope.)

Quote:
Nope. Sorry. Miami is NOT tropical. There is MUCH more to it than Miami's winter temps. Miami does not fall into that specific area of the earth that has INTENSE SUNLIGHT DUE TO POSITION.

CURVATURE OF THE EARTH BETWEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,468 times
Bora Bora, it makes Miami Beach and Puerto Rico look drab.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Bora Bora, it makes Miami Beach and Puerto Rico look drab.

But not the Amazon. LOL !

Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,423 times
Sorry to go off topic, but the other threads on this are old and long. My opinion of what's tropical and what isn't can't be drawn on a globe with a straight line. Weather patterns don't follow a straight line and what makes an area fall into a particular climate region has more to do with topography, rainfall, and temperatures. If you've ever checked the weather in the Galapagos islands, you wouldn't consider it tropical, but they sit right on the equator. Miami is tropical, you just have to spend one summer here to see that!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,485 times
Quote:
Do you finally accept that Miami is tropical?...b/c you've just indirectly admitted that Miami Beach is tropical.

Also, do you consider inland South Florida and western South Florida tropical? The only tropical areas in Florida to me are exactly coastal eastern South Florida and the Keys. But, even you've gotta admit, Miami is tropical. I give you San Juan is one of the most tropical cities in the world. It's not as tropical as Singapore, but it's up there.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Do you finally accept that Miami is tropical?...b/c you've just indirectly admitted that Miami Beach is tropical.

Also, do you consider inland South Florida and western South Florida tropical? The only tropical areas in Florida to me are exactly coastal eastern South Florida and the Keys. But, even you've gotta admit, Miami is tropical. I give you San Juan is one of the most tropical cities in the world. It's not as tropical as Singapore, but it's up there.
Compare the sun intensity of Miami vs San Juan. That is all I care about. There is a diference.

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-25-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Quote:
Compare the sun intensity of Miami vs San Juan. That is all I care about. How noticeable is the difference?

I can't believe people would get upset by someone stating Miami is not tropical - guys, it isn't - Cuba is too far north of the equator to be a true tropical climate. In fact, what grows along the equator would not grow in Miami - because it is too cold for those plants.

Wake up people, the true tropics are from eastern Cuba downwards.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I can't believe people would get upset by someone stating Miami is not tropical - guys, it isn't - Cuba is too far north of the equator to be a true tropical climate. In fact, what grows along the equator would not grow in Miami - because it is too cold for those plants.

Wake up people, the true tropics are from eastern Cuba downwards.
As someone stated before, the Galapagos Islands are right on the equator, yet the climate isn't tropical. So location alone isn't the be all end all when determining a tropical climate. Miami is tropical b/c it's temperature averages meets the threshold for a tropical climate. And, how is Cuba too far north when it falls between the TroCan and TroCap line? Hong Kong is another city which falls inside the tropics but doesn't have a tropical climate.

You are mapping the climate solely to its location which isn't right.

You're idea of tropical climate is different from science. Your idea of tropical music is probably different from mine. What type of music do you listen to in a tropical climate?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
As someone stated before, the Galapagos Islands are right on the equator, yet the climate isn't tropical. So location alone isn't the be all end all when determining a tropical climate. Miami is tropical b/c it's temperature averages meets the threshold for a tropical climate. And, how is Cuba too far north when it falls between the TroCan and TroCap line? Hong Kong is another city which falls inside the tropics but doesn't have a tropical climate.

You are mapping the climate solely to its location which isn't right.

You're idea of tropical climate is different from science. Your idea of tropical music is probably different from mine. What type of music do you listen to in a tropical climate?
What you are referring to is elevation. Quitto, Ecuador is on the equator but too high up to have a monsoonal or equatorial climate. Land masses (in the case of Hong Kong) also modify temperature, compromising the climate

My definition of 'tropical' in the sense of my last post is that of what is typically associated with the tropics (a year round monsoonal or equatorial climate). Miami is none of these.

Havana, Cuba, can get quite cold. In January I usually froze there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami