Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
You are not getting the sarcasm behind my post at all. The reason I said that in my reply is because typically from that guy all you see is posts like he knows what he is talking about , but yet you never see any data to support his claims.
I know that he is not to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
I know that he is not to be taken seriously.
I know he doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Tampa has a humid subtropical climate, which is different from a subtropical climate.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
He's gonna tell you that since Hawaii doesn't snow at sea level, its allowed to be tropical. Honolulu is technically a BSh climate.
Hawaii snows in the mountains, for those who asked. And Hawaii is a true tropical savannah climate. As for South Florida being subtropical, read this: Tropical Places to Go in Florida | USA Today

And a humid subtropical climate is different than subtropical. Humid subtropical climate (ex, Washington DC) is just barely warmer in wintertime than a humid continental climate (somewhere like Chicago). A subtropical climate would be like Miami or Bermuda: outside of the tropics, warm enough to grow coconuts, but still getting cold weather from time to time-weather too cold to be experienced in the tropics at sea level.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM

34 posts, read 51,441 times
Quote:
Hawaii snows in the mountains, for those who asked. And Hawaii is a true tropical savannah climate. As for South Florida being subtropical, read this: Tropical Places to Go in Florida | USA Today

And a humid subtropical climate is different than subtropical. Humid subtropical climate (ex, Washington DC) is just barely warmer in wintertime than a humid continental climate (somewhere like Chicago). A subtropical climate would be like Miami or Bermuda: outside of the tropics, warm enough to grow coconuts, but still getting cold weather from time to time-weather too cold to be experienced in the tropics at sea level.
Are you confusing the word "subtropical" with transitional? Maybe you mean Miami and Bermuda are both transitional, or semitropical climates, because they aren't true subtropical climates?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Quote:

So you are telling me there are two different types of sub tropical. You are saying there is SUB TROPICAL (ex, Washington DC) with HUMIDITY, and than there is plain SUB TROPICAL like Miami (guessing with no humidity ) by the way - which can grow coconuts? WHAT?! Are you saying there is NO humidity in South Florida? Are you saying the vegetation of South Florida (mostly tropical) is mostly based off of being a sub tropical climate with no humidity?

Let me tell you something, if you are growing COCONUT trees, and other types of tropical plants, that right there tells you the climate is tropical. Take me ANYWHERE in the UNITED STATES where you can grow tropical plants in a subtropical climate. Can you grow coconut trees in Washington DC? Why can't you? They are both sub-tropical I thought? Because YOU CANT, it requires a certain year round climate to grow certain vegetation, just because Miami/ South florida isn't in the tropics doesnt mean it can't have tropical climate. Find me a city anywhere in the United states mainland where the weather is like that year round and has the type of vegetation it has. You can't ! Your post is almost as ignorant as someone elses post I previously seen stating that "Tucson is NOT in a desert", when CLEARLY it is in the desert and has desert written all over it!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
So you are telling me there are two different types of sub tropical. You are saying there is SUB TROPICAL (ex, Washington DC) with HUMIDITY, and than there is plain SUB TROPICAL like Miami (guessing with no humidity ) by the way - which can grow coconuts? WHAT?! Are you saying there is NO humidity in South Florida? Are you saying the vegetation of South Florida (mostly tropical) is mostly based off of being a sub tropical climate with no humidity?

Let me tell you something, if you are growing COCONUT trees, and other types of tropical plants, that right there tells you the climate is tropical. Take me ANYWHERE in the UNITED STATES where you can grow tropical plants in a subtropical climate. Can you grow coconut trees in Washington DC? Why can't you? They are both sub-tropical I thought? Because YOU CANT, it requires a certain year round climate to grow certain vegetation, just because Miami/ South florida isn't in the tropics doesnt mean it can't have tropical climate. Find me a city anywhere in the United states mainland where the weather is like that year round and has the type of vegetation it has. You can't ! Your post is almost as ignorant as someone elses post I previously seen stating that "Tucson is NOT in a desert", when CLEARLY it is in the desert and has desert written all over it!
Haha, no that is not at all what I'm saying. I mean the difference between Koppen Cfa or Cwa (humid subtropical) as opposed to a truly subtropical climate, like Bermuda and South Florida, even northern Bahamas.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalMiamiZone11A View Post
Are you confusing the word "subtropical" with transitional? Maybe you mean Miami and Bermuda are both transitional, or semitropical climates, because they aren't true subtropical climates?
Yes, you can say that. I agree.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM

34 posts, read 51,441 times
Quote:
Yes, you can say that. I agree.
I think Bermudas climate is more textbook subtropical while Miami's is borderline tropical. It's winter is more warm than mild despite the cold fronts and as cityking mentioned, it can house tropical vegetation to full maturation. Miami may not be in the tropics, but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a tropical climate.

If you closely look into the word "tropical", it means "of, or relating to the tropics." Meaning, it just has to have most of the characteristics of the tropics, not actually be located IN the tropics. Miami is an 11A zone while the Florida Keys are 11B. I think these are where the true tropical boundaries begin from the northern hemisphere. A transitional climate would be somewhere like Naples, FL where its average January temperature oscillates the 64.4 F mark every year with a zone below 11.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalMiamiZone11A View Post
I think Bermudas climate is more textbook subtropical while Miami's is borderline tropical. It's winter is more warm than mild despite the cold fronts and as cityking mentioned, it can house tropical vegetation to full maturation. Miami may not be in the tropics, but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a tropical climate.

If you closely look into the word "tropical", it means "of, or relating to the tropics." Meaning, it just has to have most of the characteristics of the tropics, not actually be located IN the tropics. Miami is an 11A zone while the Florida Keys are 11B. I think these are where the true tropical boundaries begin from the northern hemisphere. A transitional climate would be somewhere like Naples, FL where its average January temperature oscillates the 64.4 F mark every year with a zone below 11.
It is true that the winters in Bermuda are cooler than in Miami (winters in Bermuda are only a bit warmer than SoCal winters), but they also don't get those bouts of extreme cold that Miami and the northern Bahamas have gotten. I see what you're saying though.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
Quote:
It is true that the winters in Bermuda are cooler than in Miami (winters in Bermuda are only a bit warmer than SoCal winters), but they also don't get those bouts of extreme cold that Miami and the northern Bahamas have gotten. I see what you're saying though.
Actually, Bermuda falls within the same USDA zone as Miami (Zone 11), so they experience about same absolute minimum temps every year. The main difference is Miami is noticeably warmer during the day. In January, Miami can range from having cool to warm nights, while Bermuda can have more consistent mild nights, but it's daytime temps aren't really warm either. So, in general Miami has warmer winters.

I would think a subtropical climate would have somewhat to do with having a mild winter season, like Bermuda and Hong Kong where weather doesn't really feel tropical at ANY time of the day, as opposed to tropical Miami where temps during the day will 85-90% of the time exceed 75F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami