Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 40,015 times

Advertisements

Ok, I write in here again as im a bit more clear now on what the illness might be. We have seen one but we were both not satisfied, he was not very involved, very quiet and very vage! He said: i think its bipolar rapid cycling and prescribed a medication which made him very, very sick. Now he is only willing to see one more doctor!!
I have met online in a visa forum (by accident) a psychitarist from the mount sinai NY she cant say much as she has not seen him, because we live in Miami, but she believes that he has got schizoaffective disorder which is often misdiagnosed! It must be something around this. But he is definitely mentally ill and his head is getting worse. Life with him becomes more and more hell, the constant ups and downs, one day i love you, a little later: i will leave you and go to courthouse! Plus him getting funny and angry about little things and then his love goes completely away, he can be emotionally and physically abusive and he also has a cloud in his head, waternoise and headaches sometimes. He cannot keep to any plan or agreement we make. Its hell. But in between he is wonderfull again and totally different. Its unbelievable.

Can anyone please recommend a psychiatrist in Miami. Maybe someone you have seen or know about? I need to go somewhere as soon as possible, before he is changing his mind again as he always does that. And he would onle get one more opinion and this time it must be a GOOD one! Otherwise the marriage is over as well.
Please help. It would be greatly appreciated.
(I personally do not believe in Psychopharmaca medication as i am worried it messes the brain up but i dont think there is anything natural for bipolar rapid cycling?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM

229 posts, read 533,947 times
It would be good if he would consider more than just one final option.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM

283 posts, read 521,842 times
I live in NYC and am normally on that forum, but I just happened to come across this.

My advice - stay as far away from psychiatrists as possible. IMO, it's a legitimized pseudoscience with a phony medical veneer, and most practitioners are indeed looney as someone already mentioned. Psychiatric diagnoses are highly stigmatizing (both personally and professionally) and your husband adopting the idea that he has some sort of biological defect can be as much of a barrier to psychological wellness as his already-existing symptoms. I say 'some sort of biological defect' because whatever diagnosis he receives will be completely subjective. There are no objective tests for any psych disorders - they are hypothetical constructs projected onto the person to explain their behavior/disposition. You said yourself that a psychiatrist you talked to was vague and told you that 'schizoaffective disorder' is frequently misdiagnosed. That means practitioners don't know what they're observing and that the categories of disorders they diagnose aren't discrete entities.

Anyhow, if you insist on seeing a psychiatrist I would ask for a referal from a general medical practitioner where you live. Just keep in mind that once your husband is diagnosed, he WILL be coerced into taking psychotropic drugs and possibly encouraged to file for disability. I don't think you want that because whatever problems he has now might just be temporary. The stigma, internalized feelings of inferiority and drug-induced brain damage many psych patients deal with is forever.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM

261 posts, read 704,354 times
Dr. Noel Delgadillo was recommended to me by two different people (independently of each other) and my close family member who sees him has been very happy with him. He's located near Baptist Hospital in Kendall. I hope he or someone works out for you all!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM

24 posts, read 40,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
I live in NYC and am normally on that forum, but I just happened to come across this.

My advice - stay as far away from psychiatrists as possible. IMO, it's a legitimized pseudoscience with a phony medical veneer, and most practitioners are indeed looney as someone already mentioned. Psychiatric diagnoses are highly stigmatizing (both personally and professionally) and your husband adopting the idea that he has some sort of biological defect can be as much of a barrier to psychological wellness as his already-existing symptoms. I say 'some sort of biological defect' because whatever diagnosis he receives will be completely subjective. There are no objective tests for any psych disorders - they are hypothetical constructs projected onto the person to explain their behavior/disposition. You said yourself that a psychiatrist you talked to was vague and told you that 'schizoaffective disorder' is frequently misdiagnosed. That means practitioners don't know what they're observing and that the categories of disorders they diagnose aren't discrete entities.

Anyhow, if you insist on seeing a psychiatrist I would ask for a referal from a general medical practitioner where you live. Just keep in mind that once your husband is diagnosed, he WILL be coerced into taking psychotropic drugs and possibly encouraged to file for disability. I don't think you want that because whatever problems he has now might just be temporary. The stigma, internalized feelings of inferiority and drug-induced brain damage many psych patients deal with is forever.
Hi Pookie Jenkins, I agree with you. I never liked drugs and eat organic. We never went to a psychiatrist again and although i went through more hell with him which is really impossibly difficult and requires immense put up and patience, i dont want him to go to any more conventional medicine doctor.
I put him on high dosage vitamins (orthomolecular) which makes definitely a difference, the psyochotic behaviour, the complete crazyness is gone and he can listen for a long time now. But his episodes still come and go, they change every 24 hours. His bad side is bad, he is angry and not in control, and gets verbal and physical. The good side is really kind, humble and giving.
Then we went to a holistic dentist who thinks that his 4 amalgam fillings might be responsible for his anger and mood swings! Now we will have them out and detoxify. I hope this is now the reason, as we just wait with our marriage until after that. If that doesnt make a difference we have to be seperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: